Apron instead of Skyclub

Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, DL
Apron instead of Skyclub

Boarded the elevator today with 3 other people attempting to head up to the new ATL B skyclub. When we got on, we hit the button for club level, and the elevator announced “going down.” I thought it was just an error, but lo and behold, the elevator goes down and opens the door onto the apron. Nobody waiting there except lots of vehicles under the terminal and, obviously, multiple planes. As a side note, it was significantly louder than I imagined, probably all the t-tails always at B.

Obviously none of us exited the elevator, and we eventually ended up in the sky club. But it was slightly disconcerting from a security standpoint. I get that it’s efficient to utilize the same elevator for multiple purposes (the T sky club comes to mind as another that has this capability) but still, maybe a bit better access control is necessary?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Boarded the elevator today with 3 other people attempting to head up to the new ATL B skyclub. When we got on, we hit the button for club level, and the elevator announced “going down.” I thought it was just an error, but lo and behold, the elevator goes down and opens the door onto the apron. Nobody waiting there except lots of vehicles under the terminal and, obviously, multiple planes. As a side note, it was significantly louder than I imagined, probably all the t-tails always at B.

Obviously none of us exited the elevator, and we eventually ended up in the sky club. But it was slightly disconcerting from a security standpoint. I get that it’s efficient to utilize the same elevator for multiple purposes (the T sky club comes to mind as another that has this capability) but still, maybe a bit better access control is necessary?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Never experienced it, but yeah, that's quite a massive security breach. Someone will hopefully be on that very quickly.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I've noticed that as well @ the B Club.

There's a keypad above the buttons that I assumed was there for apron access, but that doesn't sound like how the OP described it.

Just left there a bit ago - here's a pic.

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I doubt you can request the Apron but if someone with clearance had requested the elevator it would go down. Sounds likely that is what happened. If that person wasn't there when the elevator opened, or it happened un-requested, then definitely something that needs fixing. But otherwise, you need someone in the secure area with clearance to make the request...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL GM
I've actually pressed the Apron button on that elevator a few times out of curiosity to no avail, so I'm certain it requires a keycard and code to make work. If the Apron light wasn't lit, I assume someone at Apron level called for it and then got tired of waiting and took the stairs or just stepped away for a moment.

Definitely a breach in security protocol though. Whoever called for the elevator and then stepped away would have gotten quite the talking to if they'd been found out. I'm surprised that elevator doesn't require a second swipe of the card/code entry to open the doors at that level. I've been in a lot of facilities with elevators that go between secure and non-secure floors that require one swipe/code entry to call the elevator to the secure floor and a second to open the door once it got to that level, specifically to avoid a situation where someone calls for it and then has to step away for some reason.
SoroSuub1 and amanuensis like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, DL
Button was not lit when we got in. I assume someone from below called it. But for whatever reason was missing when we arrived below.

Even assuming there was access control to both call and open the elevator at the apron, what is supposed to happen when 10 people are on the elevator?! We all (rightfully?) assumed the elevator was going SC since it opened when we called.

This just strikes me as incredibly poor security/design.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sadly nothing new. The elevator for the old T5 LAX club was same way. More than once did it get called and people got on assuming it was going down to the underground tunnels.. it'd stop and the person was gone.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I love the fear in this thread about "security concerns". We've really been brainwashed to fear for anything out of the norm at the airport.

You probably don't want pax getting access to the apron for a number of reasons (safety primarily, potential disruption to ops another), but security concerns? Really? What harm is a pax exiting a sterile area going to possibly do? Anything truly untoward would require complicit support from a ground crew member... in which case you were already in trouble anyways.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ethernal
I love the fear in this thread about "security concerns". We've really been brainwashed to fear for anything out of the norm at the airport.

You probably don't want pax getting access to the apron for a number of reasons (safety primarily, potential disruption to ops another), but security concerns? Really? What harm is a pax exiting a sterile area going to possibly do? Anything truly untoward would require complicit support from a ground crew member... in which case you were already in trouble anyways.
Right, like there are terrorists endlessly riding the skyclub elevators just hoping they eventually accidentally take them down to the tarmac.
SoroSuub1, ryw, sky303 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
This just strikes me as incredibly poor security/design. [/left]
There's a difference between "bad design" and "bugs".

Nobody designed the elevator to take people to a floor they didn't request.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pvn
Right, like there are terrorists endlessly riding the skyclub elevators just hoping they eventually accidentally take them down to the tarmac.
I don't have to be a terrorist, I just have to be a person who's generally familiar with flying and wants to go for a joyride.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/13/alas...len-plane.html
ne52 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
I don't have to be a terrorist, I just have to be a person who's generally familiar with flying and wants to go for a joyride.

Yes, and? If that's your goal, riding skyclub elevators hoping to get a buggy one is probably the worst way to go about it.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:04 am
pvn
Suspended

I'm not saying there's zero risk here, I'm saying it's not something to spend a lot of time worrying about.

If I had been on the elevator, I would have mentioned it to someone (probably the skyclub agent) and moved on.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1

Takes quite a bit more than being "generally familiar" with flying.

Rather than link the article, I'll redirect back to the appropriate thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30083821-post224.html
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
This could be the elevator used to bring passengers from the tarmac to the SC when they get the Porsche ride. Indeed a safety concern but once you get to this elevator under normal circumstances you should have cleared TSA, so security concerns should be "minimal".
Spiff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.