FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta booking WestJet combo itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1925439-delta-booking-westjet-combo-itinerary.html)

HeavyMetal Aug 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Delta booking WestJet combo itinerary

Is there a way to book a single itinerary with mixed Delta and West Jet legs via Delta? Hate using Expedia or any of those and avoid it if I can. Could have sworn this was a thing but Delta website doesn't show me WestJet flights that I know exist (Trying to fly from JFK to YXY), not sure if I am missing something.

I just get a "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but there are no scheduled Delta/Partner flights from New York-Kennedy - John F Kennedy International (JFK) to Whitehorse - Erik Nielsen Whitehorse Intl Arpt (YXY). " On the West Jet website, and Google flights, it clearly shows flights to YXY exist from Seattle, or Calgary, via West Jet, both of which Delta obviously fly to. Any help would be appreciated!

flyerCO Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by HeavyMetal (Post 30087777)
Is there a way to book a single itinerary with mixed Delta and West Jet legs via Delta? Hate using Expedia or any of those and avoid it if I can. Could have sworn this was a thing but Delta website doesn't show me WestJet flights that I know exist (Trying to fly from JFK to YXY), not sure if I am missing something.

I just get a "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but there are no scheduled Delta/Partner flights from New York-Kennedy - John F Kennedy International (JFK) to Whitehorse - Erik Nielsen Whitehorse Intl Arpt (YXY). " On the West Jet website, and Google flights, it clearly shows flights to YXY exist from Seattle, or Calgary, via West Jet, both of which Delta obviously fly to. Any help would be appreciated!

If it's not codeshared then DL online isn't going to sell it. A phone agent can, but it'll likely be a broken fare. Also there can be issue with over 4 hour connection. Canada falls under the 4 hour rule not 24 hour.

ethernal Aug 15, 2018 9:16 pm

They're still partners, so in theory you should be able to do it (although there are a lot of gotchas on partner bookings regarding fare classes, connection duration, and so on you have to be aware of).

Have you tried calling Delta? The Delta website is practically worthless for booking flights on anything but Delta metal (and on JV partners).

HeavyMetal Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30087815)
They're still partners, so in theory you should be able to do it (although there are a lot of gotchas on partner bookings regarding fare classes, connection duration, and so on you have to be aware of).

Have you tried calling Delta? The Delta website is practically worthless for booking flights on anything but Delta metal (and on JV partners).

Gonna try that now, I do a lot of flying but rarely anything complicated, so this is my first time having to mix and match, wasnt sure how limited the website was. Thanks for the quick replies guys

HeavyMetal Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Called Delta and they weren't able to do it. Partner airline stuff is very puzzling.

3Cforme Aug 16, 2018 4:13 am

" On the West Jet website, and Google flights, it clearly shows flights to YXY exist from Seattle, or Calgary, via West Jet, both of which Delta obviously fly to. Any help would be appreciated!

What's your proposed travel date? I looked at 9/12 +/- a day and saw nothing but Air North non-stops YYC-YXY on ITA Matrix.

sydneyracquelle Aug 16, 2018 6:15 am

Try booking on Westjet if you can’t book on Delta. Often the flights are cheaper on Westjet but you get shortchanged on MQMs. The 4-hour connection limitation does not apply on Westjet bookings.

Weekend Away Aug 16, 2018 6:31 am

Try piecing together your itinerary on ITA, then try bookwithmatrix.com to price and book it on delta.com. If that doesn't work, take that itinerary and call Delta. While the first agent couldn't help I've had success doing this with HUCA.

HeavyMetal Aug 16, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30088572)
What's your proposed travel date? I looked at 9/12 +/- a day and saw nothing but Air North non-stops YYC-YXY on ITA Matrix.

Monday the 20th (next week)

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 30088836)
Try booking on Westjet if you can’t book on Delta. Often the flights are cheaper on Westjet but you get shortchanged on MQMs. The 4-hour connection limitation does not apply on Westjet bookings.

This appears to work and puts me on the Delta flight that starts it, but I cant use my Platinum status on seat selection or anything which is a bit of a bummer. Strange that WestJet can accomplish the itinerary mixed with Delta, but Delta cant accomplish the same one.

jmertic Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am

I've just done this without problem - even on the mobile app!

CLE-DTW-SEA-YVR-(WS)-SFO/SJC-SLC-CLE

I did notice the WS options we at the bottom of the list for YVR-SFO, but did price out.

sydneyracquelle Aug 16, 2018 10:53 am

Platinum status for seat selection and upgrade list at the gate will kick in at exactly T-24 if you call in and ask the agent to contact the help desk. You might have to HUCA. Advance upgrades will not work on Westjet ticket stock.

ecaarch Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Use travel section on AmEx website

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 30088893)
Try piecing together your itinerary on ITA, then try bookwithmatrix.com to price and book it on delta.com. If that doesn't work, take that itinerary and call Delta. While the first agent couldn't help I've had success doing this with HUCA.

Virtually every itinerary that I can find on ITA can be recreated on AmEx website. I no longer waste my time with the big three OTAs. I go directly to AmEx. Their site has the added bonus of allowing you to "construct" your itinerary one leg at a time. And the AmEx site allows itineraries constructed with multiple carriers.

Don't be alarmed when the ticket purchased on AmEx site results in two separate charges on the credit card. One is the ticket and one is the booking fee BUT the sum of the two match the fare displayed at time of booking.

flyerCO Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jmertic (Post 30089292)
I've just done this without problem - even on the mobile app!

CLE-DTW-SEA-YVR-(WS)-SFO/SJC-SLC-CLE

I did notice the WS options we at the bottom of the list for YVR-SFO, but did price out.

YVR is an airport DL codeshares on WS flight to/from. They have actual thru fares that work on these flights. OP cases is about Whitehorse. WS only serves YXY via YYC on less than daily service.

HeavyMetal Aug 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 30088893)

Would have replied sooner but for some reason the forum didnt allow me more than 5 posts in 24 hours. This worked! Was able to put it together that way, and force it over to Delta.com. Booked and done, and upgraded to 1st class within 10 minute of booking I might add. Great suggestion, thanks for the help!

Weekend Away Aug 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by HeavyMetal (Post 30092516)
Would have replied sooner but for some reason the forum didnt allow me more than 5 posts in 24 hours. This worked! Was able to put it together that way, and force it over to Delta.com. Booked and done, and upgraded to 1st class within 10 minute of booking I might add. Great suggestion, thanks for the help!

Congrats! Glad everything worked out for you .