NYC Weather Waiver 08/17/2018

Old Aug 15, 18, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

NYC Weather Waiver 08/17/2018

I'm not seeing anything on Dark Sky Etc., anyone else?
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL GM / MM, Nat'l EE, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tdowl5757 View Post
I'm not seeing anything on Dark Sky Etc., anyone else?
less than 50% chance of storms via wunderground - I guess their meteorologists know something we don't know?

Old Aug 15, 18, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Right, DL rep just said their WX info comes from area airports reporting system.
Old Aug 15, 18, 4:24 pm

It has been so bad this summer that I am waiting for them to make every day a weather waiver day
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
DL ops in NYC are terrible. It seems to struggle on a sunny day.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:43 pm

We have a group of 10 meeting up in JFK that evening for flight to Dublin and now thoroughly confused on what we should do. Rebooking the folks on east coast isn't so bad, they can go through Atlanta but for those of us leaving from PDX it makes for a crappy flight out of Atlanta with a 4hr layover before heading to Dublin

Any input is appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by acouzens View Post
We have a group of 10 meeting up in JFK that evening for flight to Dublin and now thoroughly confused on what we should do. Rebooking the folks on east coast isn't so bad, they can go through Atlanta but for those of us leaving from PDX it makes for a crappy flight out of Atlanta with a 4hr layover before heading to Dublin

Any input is appreciated.
If I was flying from PDX I really wouldn't worry about it. Flights from the West Coast to New York leave early enough that forecasters can't predict where popup storms are going to go by the time the flights arrive at the destination. Once flights are in the air, they aren't diverted for pop-up thunderstorms that frequently. You may have to circle for a landing slot for a while but you will probably still get there on time or close to being on time.

There is always a risk of course - but there are a lot of other flight options to Dublin from NYC if you miss the Delta one.
acouzens likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I think this waiver is a good call based on the currently forecasted atmospheric conditions on the 17th, and I can see why the DL Meteorologists issued one.

During the day, a low pressure system will be moving east through the Ohio valley into the Northeast. Storms in the Ohio valley can cause issues for the flight tracks into the Northeast. In the morning, most of the storms would occur in central PA/NY and points west with the "first round".

Then, later in the day (afternoon), storms may form closer to, and eventually directly impact, the NYC airports.

I agree with ethernal that it doesn't seem like you should worry about your PDX-JFK flight. Storms shouldn't be too widespread at that time.
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:01 pm

Thanks for the input, yeah our flight to JFK leaves around 11, I was more concerned about the flight out to Dublin that night still taking off, that's scheduled for 10:10 pm. If we get hosed on that we'd likely be waiting till the next night because flights are all evening and losing 2 days on our trip
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by acouzens View Post
Thanks for the input, yeah our flight to JFK leaves around 11, I was more concerned about the flight out to Dublin that night still taking off, that's scheduled for 10:10 pm. If we get hosed on that we'd likely be waiting till the next night because flights are all evening and losing 2 days on our trip
The flight from Dublin will go (excluding other unexpected issues like MX). It's just a question of whether it will be delayed and, if so, how long that delay will be. Delta has the highest completion rate of any airline (i.e., it doesn't cancel many flights) - and it certainly won't cancel a once daily transatlantic due to some relatively minor WX delays.

When slots are restricted due to WX, generally speaking you can rely on an airline prioritizing international heavies/super heavies before other planes. This is because they carry more passengers (meaning more disrupted passengers in the event of cancellation/delay), generate more revenue, are actually able to handle WX better (e.g., they have higher crosswind ratings than smaller planes), and may also result in regulatory consequences (especially to Europe) in the case of delays.
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Iíll be flying out to ATL on DL that day but earlier in the afternoon so am thinking Iíll be safe.
Old Aug 15, 18, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
DL ops in NYC are terrible. It seems to struggle on a sunny day.
Don't let facts get in the way. It can be sunny at JFK, but thundering a few miles away. Regardless really can't say that airline with best on time are terrible.
manacit likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I'm just complaining, but I got the weather waiver email a couple weeks ago, for a flight out of LGA on 8/1 and it politely invited me to look at other flights. I paid heed and found no flights for four days to St. Louis. But I'm just complaining because the flight left almost on time and arrived ten minutes late.
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:29 pm

Appreciate the input, I feel better about the odds now and will leave the flight as is. You make some very valid points and we picked Delta for a reason as I agree they are one of the better airlines.
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:10 am

If there's a weather waiver, why is the $200 fee still showing up when you go online to change the damn flight? And why not put a sign that says your flight is affected by weather and that there's a waiver. Is that too much to ask and hard to do?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: