Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone Switched from Delta from JetBlue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Switched from Delta from JetBlue?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
My understanding was that free at-the-gate upgrades to EMS were a frequent, unofficial Mosaic benefit.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jinglish
My understanding was that free at-the-gate upgrades to EMS were a frequent, unofficial Mosaic benefit.
I was comped Mosaic for a fair period a couple of years ago and never saw that happen. In fact, I concluded Mosaic amounted to so little, it was not worth chasing the old-school way, by diverting revenue dollars, so let it lapse. Also concur with B6 irrops response comparing very poorly to DL.

The only point to ponder for a person based at PWM would be all the CRJs you'd encounter getting to and from home on DL.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
I can't speak to others' experiences with the program, but I've been Mosaic as long as the program has existed and I have never been upgraded at the gate. The only free upgrades I received were in the first year of the program, when Mosaic members were given six free upgrades to Even More Legroom, which a) could only be booked via the phone and b) were never issued again.

There are benefits to Mosaic for sure - early boarding, free booze, etc - but upgrades just aren't one of them.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

On the opposite end of the spectrum re: upgrades is this feedback I just got a friend of mine who heard I was asking about Delta:

re: Delta, I love them. I've never attempted to get status on United, but I did a status match from Cathay Pacific to Delta, got Silver status last year. Amex gave me another 10k MQM to jump start my status hunt this year, and I'll probably end the year at ~35k MQM (10k will roll over, keeping Silver very accessible for me).

You'll easily hit gold, possibly even platinum. I've got utter .... as status, and I still get upgrades to Comfort Plus on virtually every flight I take, albeit sometimes in a middle. I've had three or four first class upgrades on weird routes - BOS-Ohio, DEN-LAX, LAX-PHX, etc.

You can also get a "preferred medallion" seat at the time of booking, e.g. on a configuration like this I usually grab row 36 b/c it's free.

Free booze in Comfort Plus, and they serve Woodford Reserve. I've got bottles of that in every little bag I travel with now.

I've got no idea what was going on this AM for my BOS-LAX flight tomorrow, but I would've got an upgrade to Delta One, except you only get one complementary upgrade per flight; Comfort Plus or First/Delta One, and I got the Comfort Plus instead. I treated myself to a $279 Delta One upgrade though, b/c it's lie flat!
At this point it's getting harder to justify not making the switch than making it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sogrady
Very helpful @daloosh, thanks. Do you have any guidelines on the costs for C+ seats? On JetBlue, for example, it's usually ~$95 for their Even More Space seats on a JFK-SFO route, and ~$25 for something shorter like PWM-JFK. I assume C+ is more expensive, but I'm curious by how much.

On a mostly unrelated note, I'm curious about how people have found Delta's international fares in general. That would theoretically be an advantage for me in that JetBlue doesn't have routes to Europe, but I was pretty shocked to discover that a Boston to London roundtrip route in late Jan that I make every year was ~$400 on Norwegian, ~$800 on Aer Lingus but ~$2300 on Delta. Is that normal?
Most dates in late January from BOS-LHR appear to be available at about $640 and Premium Select about $1200, even non-stop
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG
I was pretty shocked to discover that a Boston to London roundtrip route in late Jan that I make every year was ~$400 on Norwegian, ~$800 on Aer Lingus but ~$2300 on Delta. Is that normal?
Apples and Oranges
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BearX220
The only point to ponder for a person based at PWM would be all the CRJs you'd encounter getting to and from home on DL.
PWM - ATL is all mainline, but IIRC, it's like once a day in the winter and thrice in the summer, so it might not be the best option. But, you're right in that PWM-JFK/LGA/DTW are almost always CRJs. I flew a 717 from PWM to DTW last month, but that's a summer thing.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very helpful @daloosh, thanks. Do you have any guidelines on the costs for C+ seats? On JetBlue, for example, it's usually ~$95 for their Even More Space seats on a JFK-SFO route, and ~$25 for something shorter like PWM-JFK. I assume C+ is more expensive, but I'm curious by how much.

On a mostly unrelated note, I'm curious about how people have found Delta's international fares in general. That would theoretically be an advantage for me in that JetBlue doesn't have routes to Europe, but I was pretty shocked to discover that a Boston to London roundtrip route in late Jan that I make every year was ~$400 on Norwegian, ~$800 on Aer Lingus but ~$2300 on Delta. Is that normal?
The nominal DL roundtrip fare on BOS-LHR in January $641 in main cabin (fare code VLJX86M1). This can be seen in the calendar above. However, this fare requires a Saturday night stay (based on day of arrival, not departure). Therefore, the latest in the week you can depart and qualify for this fare is on a Friday (in order to arrive on a Saturday). This is quite common among legacy carriers and is meant to discriminate between business and leisure fare flyers as most business flyers do not wish to stay over a weekend. Your fare search undoubtedly does not include a Saturday night stay and hence the $2300 fare quote. Here's the specific wording for minimum stay for the VLJX86M1 fares --

MINIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

These fares also have a 28-day advance purchase requirement.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerslc
Most dates in late January from BOS-LHR appear to be available at about $640 and Premium Select about $1200, even non-stop
Maybe it's the lack of a Saturday stay? Or these specific dates?

Either way, it's good to know it's not always that expensive.

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wds17
Apples and Oranges
Understood. I don't expect Delta to match the price of extreme low cost carriers. I was surprised, however, that it was ~5X more expensive.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
PWM - ATL is all mainline, but IIRC, it's like once a day in the winter and thrice in the summer, so it might not be the best option. But, you're right in that PWM-JFK/LGA/DTW are almost always CRJs. I flew a 717 from PWM to DTW last month, but that's a summer thing.
It's not helpful to use CRJ as the generic. The CR7 and CR9 codes exist for a reason. The entirety of today's Delta PWM departures has two CRJs - both to LGA.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it's the lack of a Saturday stay? Or these specific dates?

Either way, it's good to know it's not always that expensive.
It is your lack of a Saturday night stay. If you return on Sunday 2/3, instead of Friday 2/1, you will qualify for the $641 V fare. See minimum stay requirement I quoted above.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

The good news is that while flying out of PWM is preferable, BOS is more than workable, and seems to have solid non-stop coverage pretty much anywhere I'd travel.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
It is your lack of a Saturday night stay. If you return on Sunday 2/3, instead of Friday 2/1, you will qualify for the $641 V fare. See minimum stay requirement I quoted above.
Yes, I caught this immediately after I posted. On the one hand, it's unfortunate that Delta - like most of the older carriers - still have that Saturday restriction unlike their lower cost counterparts. On the other hand, JetBlue didn't have service into London anyway so it's not as if I'm missing something.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Southwest and JetBlue basically "broke" the legacy carriers Saturday-night stay and round-trip requirements on domestic fares over time. I think the LCC model for overseas routes is still in early-ish days, and arguably the product differential vs. the legacies is larger than WN/B6 vs. the domestic legacies, so Norwegian et. al. still aren't viable options for most business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.