Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL takes over as largest service provider at BHM. More routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL takes over as largest service provider at BHM. More routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
For the record I wasn’t comparing SLC and BHM airports. Someone called Birmingham a small metro. I pointed out that the metros were similar in size per census data. Numbers 48 and 49 respectively.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tistical_areas
MSAs are irrelevant when comparing air cachement areas. CSA includes adjoining MSAs. Do you really think people in the San Jose, CA MSA don't ever use the airports in the neighboring San Fran MSA? Same in Baltimore and Washington, and many other examples.

CSA population rank:
SLC #26
BHM #47
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
This argument is really weird, why doesn't anyone just look at O/D numbers?

Also, looking at the relative rank of MSAs/CSAs etc doesn't make any sense, it's the absolute size that matters for a discussion like this.

Anyway, I don't really understand the premise of the OP. The fact that Delta has become the largest provider at BHM doesn't obligate them to do anything additional. How much they're doing relative to other carriers is completely irrelevant when they're deciding whether new routes, upgauges, etc make sense.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by pvn
This argument is really weird, why doesn't anyone just look at O/D numbers?
Allow me! Top five markets (all numbers are Passengers Per Day Each Way for 2018Q1):

Birmingham - Orlando: 192
Birmingham - Dallas: 191
Birmingham - Washington DC: 170
Birmingham - New York City: 145
Birmingham - Chicago: 135

Salt Lake City - Los Angeles: 2,196
Salt Lake City - San Francisco: 1,193
Salt Lake City - New York City: 927
Salt Lake City - Phoenix: 736
Salt Lake City - Denver: 722

I expected SLC to be higher than BHM, but I didn't think it would be this much. I'm guessing the amount of traffic leaked to Atlanta is massive.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Wait that's actual O/D or does that include connecting passengers?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Wait that's actual O/D or does that include connecting passengers?
Actual O&D. Note that the big markets are combined airports (NYC = JFK/LGA/EWR, Los Angeles = LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT, etc).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Wow, that's a huge difference. End of debate IMO.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
The original intention of my thread had nothing to do with a SLC vs BHM airport debate. I originally asked what metrics trigger more hub routes.

Many other carriers have less frequency and more routes here at BHM. All I wanted to know is if there were metrics that triggered the same for DL.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Many other carriers have less frequency and more routes here at BHM. All I wanted to know is if there were metrics that triggered the same for DL.
In the case of AA, BHM is surrounded by five hubs under 700 miles away, and PHL isn't much further than that.

In DLs case, only ATL and DTW are within 700 miles. MSP is over 800 miles away, has less than half the O&D of Detroit, and none of the upper midwest markets provide any significant traffic to Birmingham (Milwaukee is the biggest at 14 passengers per day - and easily served over ATL or DTW). SLC is even worse - the same O&D level as MSP, but nearly 1500 miles away. It's hard to justify that for the eight people per day flying to Reno.

I think BHM's best bet for additional service is a handful of flights to La Guardia. I think MSP could be feasible as a summer seasonal route.
JesseRohr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.