FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Flight 6306 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1925234-delta-flight-6306-a.html)

barney44 Aug 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Delta Flight 6306

Does anybody know why this flight got diverted from Raleigh to Albany It was supposed to go to Boston

davetravels Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0b302ff2db.png
Flightaware shows that it got very close to BOS - and circled quite a few times, then went to ALB.

Educated guess would be weather. I know that a ton of BOS flights were canceled last night, and LGA was a mess today, so, I'd bet that BOS was a mess today, too!

SJC ORD LDR Aug 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Looks like weather or something at Logan. It made lots of circles around SE Mass before heading to ALB. I would think it would be weather otherwise it could have diverted to PVD, MHT, or BDL, which are all closer to BOS than ALB.

flyerCO Aug 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Do you really have to ask? Weather has resulted in cancellations and diversions up and down the east coast.

jrl767 Aug 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by barney44 (Post 30083157)
Does anybody know why this flight got diverted from Raleigh to Albany It was supposed to go to Boston

actually it did go to BOS after the 30-min refueling stop in ALB; arrived ~1100

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30083241)
Do you really have to ask? Weather has resulted in cancellations and diversions up and down the east coast.

do you really have to be so condescending? the poke in the eye really distracts from the important part of the reply ... esp after two prior posters mentioned the same thing

tennessetom Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm

The ceiling in Boston has been low all day probably tried to land and wasn’t able to

flyerCO Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30083250)
actually it did go to BOS after the 30-min refueling stop in ALB; arrived ~1100

do you really have to be so condescending? the poke in the eye really distracts from the important part of the reply ... esp after two prior posters mentioned the same thing

The posts weren't there when I clicked reply. If you see the timestamp, all posted within a few minutes of each other. It wasn't meant to be a poke. However I think the answer is quite obvious. Diverts only occur for a very few reasons, weather being the main one. Asking why a flight was diverted, when the area has had nothing but bad weather, when numerous flights have been diverted, cancelled, and more delayed is like asking why your coke exploded in the car when it's freezing outside.

barney44 Aug 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Weather

I am in Boston and Weather was not an issue of any significance today. Yesterday yes but this morning was fine. I thought Albany was a very odd redirect and had not seen the fight plan hence my asking.

It’s a flight a friend takes regularly but not this week hence my asking.

tennessetom Aug 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Look on flightaware for Boston and hit the weather tab. You will see how low visibility was at several points during the day especially in the morning. If the pilot was worried about fuel he might well have diverted rather than waiting for the ceiling to improve

Mr. Tickets Aug 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by barney44 (Post 30083351)
I am in Boston and Weather was not an issue of any significance today. Yesterday yes but this morning was fine. I thought Albany was a very odd redirect and had not seen the fight plan hence my asking.

It’s a flight a friend takes regularly but not this week hence my asking.

Just because a friend takes this flight regularly, you have to ask why it was diverted? Really does not make any sense to me. Could be a hundred reasons and none would ever happen again. I wonder a lot about people asking why flights are diverted. Unless you or someone close to you on a particular flight, why would you care? I must be missing something. Please enlighten me.

rylan Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Very low ceilings and poor visibility in BOS for the past couple days. This morning fog and low clouds had the airport at minimal or below minimal landing conditions.

Down3Green Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm

As others have mentioned, there were winds out of the east today with a warm air mass and that equals a marine layer with off and on dense fog. Looking at the Metars (NWS weather observations) for the landing time shows visibilities of 800 to 1000 RVR. That's what we call CAT III weather. A CAT III ILS approach requires special qualifications for both the aircraft and crew. Gojet RJs aren't CAT III qualified and can't even attempt the approach when RVRs are being called that low (I don't know of any US crj operators that are CAT III qauled though I could be wrong)

FlyerWx Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

After listening to ATC communication (source: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kb...2018-1200Z.mp3 minutes 10:34, 12:28, 13:50) and corroborating with local weather conditions in BOS (fog, low visibility, low clouds), they diverted to ALB due to low RVR that failed to improve.

The RVR was consistently <1,200ft as reported by ATC, METARS are similar. They diverted because they would be low on fuel if they kept waiting for conditions to improve.

SamOF Aug 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30083323)
The posts weren't there when I clicked reply. If you see the timestamp, all posted within a few minutes of each other. It wasn't meant to be a poke. However I think the answer is quite obvious. Diverts only occur for a very few reasons, weather being the main one. Asking why a flight was diverted, when the area has had nothing but bad weather, when numerous flights have been diverted, cancelled, and more delayed is like asking why your coke exploded in the car when it's freezing outside.

For a less experienced traveler, it's quite obviously not quite obvious. Any affirmative reason to be mean to the OP?

pvn Aug 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets (Post 30083606)

I wonder a lot about people asking why flights are diverted.

so much this. there are hundreds of flights diverted every day and it seems every single one of them gets a thread here