Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BOS to JAX, CHS, MCI, BNA & PIT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

New BOS to JAX, CHS, MCI, BNA & PIT

Interesting adds to BOS on the heals of more SEA flights.

https://news.delta.com/delta-continu...p-destinations
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Love this little fare/route/service war going on between B6 and DL at Boston. Big wins for the customers...

With that said, no way will I fly in Delta One to the west coast unless it's a substantial (~$100) discount to B6 Mint. It's simply an inferior soft and hard product.
manacit likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wasn't BOS a DL hub several decades ago?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by hi55us
Love this little fare/route/service war going on between B6 and DL at Boston. Big wins for the customers...

With that said, no way will I fly in Delta One to the west coast unless it's a substantial (~$100) discount to B6 Mint. It's simply an inferior soft and hard product.
I find the D1 experience to be better in many ways - B6 has no lounge at JFK T5 or anything good at SFO (where there is a GREAT SC), the 757 and A330 (which they fly to LAX at least) seat is probably around as good, and I find the IFE in D1 to be better, if that matters. B6 offering free wifi is good, but that's about the only consistent benefit IMO.

As an east-coast based flyer I very much enjoy having B6 around as a real competition for DL domestically - I hope they make some inroads in ATL as well!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL still lists BOS as a hub on their marketing materials, route maps, etc. See http://dl.fltmaps.com/en
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:57 am

I mean you really could argue it's a hub now. They control most of the gates at terminal A, they have 2 skyclubs and offer flights to Europe, nearly all DL hubs, the LGA shuttle and a number of focus cities like is highlighted in this Press Release.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Sure. Here's some ancient history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Airlines
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by manacit
I find the D1 experience to be better in many ways - B6 has no lounge at JFK T5 or anything good at SFO (where there is a GREAT SC), the 757 and A330 (which they fly to LAX at least) seat is probably around as good, and I find the IFE in D1 to be better, if that matters. B6 offering free wifi is good, but that's about the only consistent benefit IMO.
I agree that DL wins on the ground experience, provided you don't have Priority Pass (which understandably is not included with either product). If you do have Priority Pass the B6 Logan Terminal now has 3 lounges and at LAX/SFO you have access to other PP lounges as well.

When delta installs messaging chairs to their D1 seats I'll give it some consideration. For now, I'll stick with mint
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree that DL wins on the ground experience, provided you don't have Priority Pass (which understandably is not included with either product). If you do have Priority Pass the B6 Logan Terminal now has 3 lounges and at LAX/SFO you have access to other PP lounges as well.

When delta installs messaging chairs to their D1 seats I'll give it some consideration. For now, I'll stick with mint
OT but the old PMNW WBC seats had the massage function for one's lower back in addition to the ability to adjust the back support. I'm thinking especially of the generation of hard shell recliner seats that became slanted flat beds. IIRC they were covered in green and gray checked fabric and were very much like the WBC seats that KLM continued using much later.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DL considers BOS a focus city.

And yes its great to be getting added routes
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It's never been a hub in the sense of a significant connecting point. In the tag paragraph at the end of the press release, Boston is in the list of "key hubs and markets" (it was "hubs and key markets" as of a year or two ago): they don't distinguish which is a hub and which is a key market/focus city. I believe they changed the phrasing from "hubs" to "hubs and key markets" when they added Boston and Los Angeles to a list that had included Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK and LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, and Tokyo-Narita sometime in the 2011-2014 timeframe. (I noted that change at the time, but my memory is fuzzy when.) I think it's pretty fair to describe Boston as a "key market" or "focus city": significant service to airports that aren't DL hubs, but not designed to have a significant amount of connecting traffic. (That, of course, is a geographic limitation, since BOS doesn't and isn't likely to play a SEA-like role in flowing traffic to a wide variety of European cities because the combination of JFK, DTW, AMS, and CDG do that quite well.)

Delta offers customers more than 15,000 daily flights, with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK and LaGuardia, London-Heathrow, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, São Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, and Tokyo-Narita.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
BNA is my home airport. I'm thrilled to see more flight options on Delta in/out of Nashville.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Definitely competing with B6 for the BOS-CHS route. DL used to offer this on a seasonal basis during the summer months only; hopefully this is now a year-round addition.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One reason I really like Delta is something included in this article:

All Boston flights with First Class seating

Delta is enhancing existing service to Buffalo, N.Y. also effective June 8. Delta will offer customers larger CRJ-900 aircraft with seating for 12 in First Class, 20 in Delta Comfort+ and 44 in the main cabin, featuring a two-by-two seating configuration and complimentary entertainment via Delta Studio in addition to in-flight WiFi access. With this upgrade, all Delta Boston flights will feature First Class service.
They have a real commitment to removing single class RJs which American currently doesn't.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
Great news for additional flights from BOS, especially Aruba!!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The 767 D1 seats have a massage function, FWIW (I forget of the top of my head but would assume SFO-BOS is the 75S though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.