WebEx on a350

Old Aug 14, 18, 12:19 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
WebEx on a350

Has anyone tried to use WebEx on trans-Pac flights equipped with 2Ku? I know satellite signal can get spotty near the north pole, but wondering if WebEx might work about 2/3 of the way to Tokyo.
Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Has anyone tried to use WebEx on trans-Pac flights equipped with 2Ku? I know satellite signal can get spotty near the north pole, but wondering if WebEx might work about 2/3 of the way to Tokyo.
Thanks.
Get ready to duck Lots of people are going to say you are violating policies, or laws, or ADA or FOIA or Federal Bankruptcy laws or something

Are you supposed to use WebEx on flights? technically no, but like others have done as long as you are not actively talking on the call and just listening you should be fine. As far as anyone knows you are just listening to music.

For me though it has been spotty in the past so unless its absolutely crucial i would reschedule. I tend to have slow speeds on 2ku, and lots of times it is down. Also lately I have been getting disconnected and reconnected multiple times on flights too.
b00mer89 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I have listened in on/watched gotomeeting conferences on domestic 2ku flights before (obviously not an A350). Not sure if the coverage on a TPAC will cause quality issues, but I had no issues with this.

I was just listening and occasionally contributing via chat, so unless someone was really paying attention it would appear that I was just watching a really boring video.
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:46 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Satellite systems have around 700 milliseconds of latency which is not great for interactive voice conferencing types of applications. As long as you don't plan on doing a lot of talking, it should be okay.
manacit likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
As @LBJ said, the bandwidth requirements should be okay as long as 2Ku is functioning properly and there aren't too many people trying to use it. Unfortunately, the latency of satellite-based internet means that you're at the mercy of a long trip up and back to the ground. My experience has been that a lot of video and audio conferencing software doesn't deal with this super well - you've got a lot of jitter on an already high latency connection, which doesn't bode well.

If you're just hoping to watch for fun, you're probably fine. If this is something important, I would recommend rescheduling.
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:27 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
Get ready to duck Lots of people are going to say you are violating policies, or laws, or ADA or FOIA or Federal Bankruptcy laws or something

Are you supposed to use WebEx on flights? technically no, but like others have done as long as you are not actively talking on the call and just listening you should be fine. As far as anyone knows you are just listening to music.

For me though it has been spotty in the past so unless its absolutely crucial i would reschedule. I tend to have slow speeds on 2ku, and lots of times it is down. Also lately I have been getting disconnected and reconnected multiple times on flights too.
Yea - should have clarified that I can listen only. I don't intend on talking to anyone. In fact, I planned to use Whatsapp if I actually wanted to communicate back to people.
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post

Are you supposed to use WebEx on flights? technically no, but like others have done as long as you are not actively talking on the call and just listening you should be fine.
WebEx isn't a phone service (although it can be used as one, it isn't a good option for VoIP). I don't believe it is specifically against the rules to use a WebEx service.

I use WebEx all the time just to attend a meeting where I just listen and watch the presentation. And if I need to speak at the meeting, I use a phone, not WebEx.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
WebEx isn't a phone service (although it can be used as one, it isn't a good option for VoIP). I don't believe it is specifically against the rules to use a WebEx service.

I use WebEx all the time just to attend a meeting where I just listen and watch the presentation. And if I need to speak at the meeting, I use a phone, not WebEx.
My point was the phone portion, but as I was trying to convey if you dont speak nobody would know you are on the phone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: