Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond - Hotel partner/CC recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

First time poster. I am a delta diamond, mainly through the help of getting 50,000 mqm from my Delta Reserve (personal) and Delta Platinum Amex (business) card spending. I will most likely not maintain the status with Delta's new absurd spending threshold.

Two questions:

1. I've never been very hotel brand loyal, but want to pick a partner to maximize benefits/status. With crossover going away, has anyone heard of replacement program where i can take advantage of my delta status?

2. I spend roughly $100,000/year on my delta reserve card, but feel the benefits over $60,000 spend are possibly a waste. Looking to open another (non-amex) card that can hopefully maximize hotel points. With so much in transition with upcoming SPG/Marriott merger, i've been waiting to see if after 8/18 any big CC deals will be on the horizon. Any suggestions on best card to once again maximize my hotel status/benefits.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Help

Bump thread
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Non-branded Amex Platinum or one of the better Chase cards. Most here seem to prefer the Sapphire Reserve (which I just got for myself, so I have little experience with it).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:25 pm

Don't stick with co-brand, either go with Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. I pay $450 for my delta Amex reserve so not doing another high end card and definitely going non amex for availability. I was considering Marriott Chase. It will check out saphire
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by coop21uga
Thanks for responses. I pay $450 for my delta Amex reserve so not doing another high end card and definitely going non amex for availability. I was considering Marriott Chase. It will check out saphire
Chase Sapphire is $450 but a very easy $300 travel credit comes back to you each year, essentially makes it $150. This is your best bet if you prefer non-Amex. Happy to refer you
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by coop21uga
If you are considering Marriott as your hotel back-up, the Chase Marriott card gives you 15 days of night credit each year for $95 plus a free night stay each year.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I'm headed for dual cards: I use my Amex Plat (non DL) for most things, after filling up my 25/50k MQM bumps from my DL Plat.
But when traveling internationally, Amex is not always accepted, so it would be nice to have a Visa/MC with no transaction fee.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond , IHG - Spire, Marriott Platimum Elite, Delta Silver, United Silver
Are you diamond with Hilton as well?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:09 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
For me, I've always counted on hotel CC for status for better experiences at the hotel and also free nights via points and spend. I found the DL AMEX to be a waste of spend and the opportunities with SkyMiles very limited and also had enough miles from my regular flying.

I love the Hilton AMEX. Both products are quite good as well. Ascend has $95 and gold status which is great since you get lounge access and free breakfast. Also the Aspire card though $450 fee, I've gotten back $250 via Delta fees and Diamond status with them is the top. Let me know if you'd want me to refer you to either Hilton AMEX cards (private message me).

Marriott/SPG I'm not a fan anymore since cross over is gone and hard to get status that means anything

Hyatt was great until they re-did the program a few years ago.

IHG, I have that, easy, low fee and some decent return on the $49 annual fee (free night). I think I can refer you for this as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.