Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta Follow it’s Own Upgrade Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Delta Follow it’s Own Upgrade Rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’m still convinced that having a companion drags you to the bottom... traveling with family, on 2 PNR. (One adult with companion, one not, both adults are GM, Delta Amex card holders) Single adult booked in lower fare class but consistently several steps higher on UG list.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
So this may be purely coincidental, but there is an odd pattern I’ve noticed.

I fly JFK-SFO monthly, always on the 9:30AM outbound on Monday and the 11:35 return on Friday (I fly too often to get up for insanely early flights).

I’ve noticed that in both directions, I’m always either #1 or like #13 on the upgrade list. I’m not exaggerating about this. Literally 100% of the time I’m top of the list or in the low double digits.

I guess there is a world in the tail of some distribution where that happens naturally, but it is so consistent that it is starting to seem a bit odd.

FWIW, I’m a DM with reserve card, I never take RUCs as a choice benefit, my employer requires that I book coach on this route, but I’m usually booking on short notice so typically in a high fare class.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Another data point. A coworker and I (both DM) had to rebook our trips home and it was done by a TA at the "same" time. On the second leg I am above him on the upgrade list (1 and 2) but on the first leg he got upgraded already and I am #1 of 1 for 2 seats. How did he get upgraded for the first flight and I didn't when I am above him on the upgrade list for the next flight?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:27 pm

is there a way to see what fare class you were originally booked in? (Before SU upgrade class)
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kkua
Just joined in the thread. Yes, I concur and can confirm. I've seen this happen to me on about 90% of my LGA-ATL and ATL-LGA flights. About 121 hrs prior to the upgrade window, I would see J/C/P/F/A/G class availability for sale and look at the seat availability map. Then at 118 hrs prior, I can verify that the seat decrease for sale in J/C/P/F/A/G corresponds to the additional assigned assigned in domestic first class.

What I cannot confirm is if this also happens to married segments, open-jaw trips, stopovers or joined end-on-end ticketed fare rules.

My take: a DM/MM (or DM/2M, DM/3M) is more prone to switch flights and use their same-day-confirmed or stand-by priviledges instead of flying as ticketed. Hence, the system would not provide auto upgrades for DM/MM passengers. On the upside, I'm usually #1 or #2 on the upgrade queue and get upgraded about 50% of the time on this route.
I disagree as a DM 2MM, I usually buy medium to high fares and am upgraded at the 5 day mark most of the time. If I am not upgraded at 5 days it will be at the gate/ or on the list. I buy my tickets 6 or 7 days out to make sure I am on the list versus waiting until closer, since most of my routes are pretty full and I do not want a middle seat.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by curl
is there a way to see what fare class you were originally booked in? (Before SU upgrade class)
The receipt will break it out by each segment.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn
The receipt will break it out by each segment.
found it! Thanks!

our flight went out with two open FC seats.... and 3 people still on FC upgrade list 😡
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by curl

found it! Thanks!

our flight went out with two open FC seats.... and 3 people still on FC upgrade list 😡
Please report this to DL.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please report this to DL.
Truly maddening. I was in FC but noticed the seats and knew there was a list (and one of my party was on it). I asked the FA and it was like, meh, can't do anything about it. (mind you, this was BEFORE they closed the door)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Meh.. at the end of the day there is nothing provable about any of this.

I will say that - compared to my experience as a United 1K - Delta's upgrade list seems.. much more inconsistent in terms of when upgrades are processed and what order I show up as.

I am sure it is psychological but anecdotally (and as others report) it does seem like I am more likely to be upgraded (or, more realistically, be #1 for 0) if I had IRROPS on a recent trip. There is one instance that stood out to me - there is a route that I never clear on and I got upgraded 3 days before departure about 12 hours after sitting on a flight with a 3 hour delay due to MX. The plane went out with a 100 person long upgrade list with 0 people clearing. As a DM with a reserve card on M fare I usually barely sniff the top 5 on that route and pretty much never end up being #1/0 so it was very unusual.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FAs can't help with upgrades but GAs can and should, although if they've already processed upgrades for the flight before you ask to be added to the list, they won't undo someone else's upgrade for you.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I think once you are checked in and on the gate upgrade list, you are cleared individually. Some gate agents might ask you what to do if there is only one seat.
This matches my experience when it's me +1 on the same PNR. In the case of only one available FC seat, a GA has always asked us if we wanted to split up or sit together.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
I'm a lowly Silver Medallion, booked into comfort plus SEA-LAX with Mrs Openroad who has no status, what are the chances we could both get upgraded.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
I'm a lowly Silver Medallion, booked into comfort plus SEA-LAX with Mrs Openroad who has no status, what are the chances we could both get upgraded.
Very low. There is an entire thread dedicated to upgrade chances and past success; taking the time to research there will give you a better idea
OPENROAD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.