Wiki Posts
Search

KE HKG-INC on DL ticket (HKG-ICN-USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
KE HKG-INC on DL ticket (HKG-ICN-USA)

I go to HKG next week with all three segments on DL medal. However, the return the following week is HKG-ICN-ATL-OKC.

Will I have options for lounges at HKG? Does the KE lounge in HKG open 3 hours prior to departure?

If someone knows the thread about the KE lounge one uses at ICN when taking DL to ATL, please provide the link.

I did a preliminary search in the KE forum but managed to miss info that I need.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HKG has a joint Skyteam lounge that you can use and is open 05:30 - 1:00 --

https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/hongkong/

Haven't been to ICN since they opened Terminal 2, so can't comment on KE lounge there.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks. That ST lounge looks much better than the one I used at HKG just a few years ago.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, at HKG I was sent to the newish SkyTeam lounge. It's down in the basement near the QF lounge, almost right ahead after passport control and security, but not really "at gate XXX" as advertised. The elevator going down to it was beyond the advertised gate and on the other side of the concourse from the gates in that area. From the lounge, it was somewhat of a walk to the KE gate, but not as bad as some I've had at ICN.

At ICN, DL and KE are now in the new Terminal 2. The lounge again was hard to find (do not follow the signs up the escalator to "lounge" as that leads to a bar and children's play area) but instead you need to go up escalators on the opposite side of the atrium. I wasn't impressed by the new KE lounge and in fact I much prefer their old worn one in terminal 1 (RIP) which at least was comfortable. The new one is IKEA style with mostly white plastic and not enough seats. The layout of the food service area IMO is a disaster, with water hidden in the far right corner in a refrigerator which people must approach one at a time.
Xeno likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, at HKG I was sent to the newish SkyTeam lounge. It's down in the basement near the QF lounge, almost right ahead after passport control and security, but not really "at gate XXX" as advertised. The elevator going down to it was beyond the advertised gate and on the other side of the concourse from the gates in that area. From the lounge, it was somewhat of a walk to the KE gate, but not as bad as some I've had at ICN.

At ICN, DL and KE are now in the new Terminal 2. The lounge again was hard to find (do not follow the signs up the escalator to "lounge" as that leads to a bar and children's play area) but instead you need to go up escalators on the opposite side of the atrium. I wasn't impressed by the new KE lounge and in fact I much prefer their old worn one in terminal 1 (RIP) which at least was comfortable. The new one is IKEA style with mostly white plastic and not enough seats. The layout of the food service area IMO is a disaster, with water hidden in the far right corner in a refrigerator which people must approach one at a time.
I thought I might shop around for lounges at HKG, but this looks great. I hope to be able to check-in three hours early as I am coming from Macau and do not know how to calculate the time involved unlike taking a taxi from a hotel in HKG.

When we fly HKG-ICN-ATL-OKC, can we get EBPs from DL or do we check-in on the KE app and see if they have an EBP fo5r at least HKG-ICN? Or am I forced to go to the KE counter at HKG even though there is no luggage to check-in?

My layover at ICN is not very long so I am not worried about that particular lounge, but wanted directions which you provided with great detail.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

https://www.cotaiwaterjet.com/ferry-...cau-taipa.html

Yesterday I purchased a ticket on the Cotai WaterJet ferry from HKG Skypier to Macau Taipa to make my way to the Macau Marriott. This page above and the ferry ticket I purchased seems to indicate that I will check-in for my KE flight at Macau Taipai before boarding the ferry. My ferry ticket even had me select the airline I was going to board at HKG.

The ferry goes back to the HKG SkyPier so does that mean I actually check in for HKG-ICN at least and perhaps all the DL flights at Macau Taipa? I do not have checked luggage, just a simple rollaboard.

Is there anyone who gone this route know how this actually works? Must I still make my way to the KE counter in HKG to be issued a proper ticket although the KE app says it can give me an EBP (for I guess at least HKG-ICN). Or do I arrive at SkyPier and remain in a secure area on my way to the ST lounge and departure gate?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
There will be check in options at SkyPier when you get there. At Macau Taipa they just validate that you have an airline ticket. A email is sufficient.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suvayanr
There will be check in options at SkyPier when you get there. At Macau Taipa they just validate that you have an airline ticket. A email is sufficient.
Thank you so I take this to mean that checking in at the SkyPier means I can remain in a secure area on to the lounge/gate and not worry about going back to the KE counter in the main terminal, right?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:53 pm

Correct
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I just got the following from an email responding to a query I sent to Cotai Water Jet CS:

UPSTREAM CHECK-IN SERVICES (UCI)

"The boarding of participating airlines will be issued to passenger after check-in. Passengers do not need to go through any check-in procedures upon arriving SkyPier or go through immigration formalities at Hong Kong International Airport. Baggage will be tagged and delivered to the designated flight.

"However, Korea Air is not participation in the UCI service, therefore UCI service may not applicable to your schedule.

So it kind of sounds like I am out of luck getting UCI services to streamline the process since KE does not participate? But would not a KE EBP allow me to bypass the KE counter and go straight to regular security?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:54 pm

The security will want to see a BP, as long as you have that they will let you through.
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you yet again.

I am now back to one of my earlier questions about getting an EBP - or one printed from a pc in a hotel - from KE while in Macau before going over to HKG for the DL ticket that starts with KE HKG-ICN then DL on to USA.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:19 pm

That I cannot help with as I flew HKG-SEA on DL. But DL required me to check in in person, so I had to hang out at SkyPier for about 30 mins as our ferry got in earlier than the counter opened.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

I am surprised you could not get any BP for just HKG-SEA. In any event, post #4 makes me think @MSPeconomist recently did HKG-ICN-USA so perhaps she knows if one can get a BP from KE in this route.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
At Macau Taipa, they can issue boarding passes for certain airlines. This is call upstream check in service.

For airlines that don't participate, such as KE and UA, once you get off the ferry you will go to the skypier airline transfer desks where boarding passes will be issued. I'm sure KE will issue HKG to ICN but I don't know if you will be able to get the Delta boarding passes. After getting your KE boarding pass you will go through transfer security and then train to the gate area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.