Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta baggage debacle- any advice from the pros?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta baggage debacle- any advice from the pros?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Gotcha. That's different then saying you have to match your bag tag with them. I agree they are not accessible from a street. But at very few airports (US or International) do you actually have to show your bag tag to pick up a bag. Apologies if I misunderstood your point.
Correct and no worries. The most notable ones in that category are MEX (almost always) and EZE (depends on who has been reprimanded for collecting too many $100 bills that day from returning Argentines). LOL
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Well, with the exception of the 90k Iberia points posting to my account and the various mistake fares, I have to agree!

You made me burst out laughing....
Well, then . . . My work here is done . . . . . . . <for today!>

Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well I can tell you after visiting 120 countries in 25 years, in 100% percent of my experience bags are never accessible from the street; they are always in a secure area. And 99% the time outside of the US I have had to show a baggage tag and ID to pick it up at the airport. This is not the case in the US where the security for bags is ridiculously lax (while all other forms of security are ridiculously exaggerated).

As for my choice of words I focused on one element- the delay- and not several others that I did not need any insight on (i.e. missing and damaged items).
In most cases you're needing to clear customs. Thus by definition they're not accessible. Very few places I've been outside the US make you pickup bags in a secure area or show a tag for domestic flight baggage.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by davetravels
Two things, I think . . . .

1) You chose the voluntary reroute, so, you're likely on the hook for expenses. I can't speak to insurance stuff.

2) Couldn't you have just picked up your bags the next day at JFK before the flight to Paris?!?
I'm surprised you don't know this but any amount of time you allow between your bags getting to a certain point and you getting control of them is time that they can go elsewhere or get lost. Also, getting there when delta said they would be there means that if they AREN'T there he can file another report and have a possibility of getting action on those lost bags earlier. This is common knowledge among those who fly A LOT.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sdadept
I'm surprised you don't know this but any amount of time you allow between your bags getting to a certain point and you getting control of them is time that they can go elsewhere or get lost. Also, getting there when delta said they would be there means that if they AREN'T there he can file another report and have a possibility of getting action on those lost bags earlier. This is common knowledge among those who fly A LOT.
First of all, obviously, when you leave bags with an airline for an extended period of time between flights, things can happen to them. I do it ALL THE TIME! Whenever I have 23~ish hour layovers, at AMS/CDG, etc., I almost always check a bag straight thru, and I have only not gotten my bag in Berlin once. It did come eventually, and I bought some things to tide me over that I got reimbursed for. BUT - I NEVER check things that I will absolutely need, or can't live without! I realize that not everybody has that option, especially with work stuff.

The second sentence of your post - sorry - I really don't understand what you mean? I've read it a few times. Can you please calrify? Thanx!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In most cases you're needing to clear customs. Thus by definition they're not accessible. Very few places I've been outside the US make you pickup bags in a secure area or show a tag for domestic flight baggage.
Geesh... amazing how many people just instinctively want to justify the American way of doing things!!! Instead of being self-referential, accept the fact that the US is INCREDIBLY lax with security on arriving baggage.

To be precise by the time you access bags in every single country I have been to, they have already been inspected by customs, yet the bags are still in a secure area. You have to prove your identity and produce a baggage tag to get them back. I have never once had to go and clear customs with my bag. But I have ALWAYS had to show up with ID and/or a baggage tag, something which in the US tends to be optional.

No matter where you've been outside the US when you walk in to the airport your bags are NOT spinning around on a carousel or off to the side without talking or seeing anyone.

Last edited by bostontraveler; Aug 18, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Geesh... amazing how many people just instinctively want to justify the American way of doing things!!! Instead of being self-referential, accept the fact that the US is INCREDIBLY lax with security on arriving baggage.

To be precise by the time you access bags in every single country I have been to, they have already been inspected by customs, yet the bags are still in a secure area. You have to prove your identity and produce a baggage tag to get them back. I have never once had to go and clear customs with my bag. But I have ALWAYS had to show up with ID and/or a baggage tag, something which in the US tends to be optional.

No matter where you've been outside the US when you walk in to the airport your bags are NOT spinning around on a carousel or off to the side without talking or seeing anyone.
Talking or seeing someone sure. However being required to produce a tag or ID?I Nope. Fly into many countries you clear immigration, pickup bags, and walk out via green lane never talking to anybody, nor showing ID/tags. For domestic flights, you simply pickup bags and go, no need to even be seen.

Flew to 27 countries last year, never once was I asked for a bag tag or ID to claim bags. Flew domestic in numerous of those (non connecting strictly domestic) and again nothing.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

(Emphasis mine). This is just wrong. When you arrive on an international flight, of course the bags are in a secure area before customs (the USA is the same). But this is not always the case for domestic flights. Perhaps your extensive international travel hasn't included many or any domestic legs?

In my experience the vast majority of domestic flights worldwide have a similar procedure to the USA. I can tell you that for Australia domestic flights, the bags arrive in exactly the same way as the USA. My experience in Canada, Europe, Asia, and South America is the same. The only place where I've seen domestic flight checked luggage in a secure area, and checking bag tags, was in Japan (ironically, the last place I'd be worried about theft!). I've only been to about 50 countries so I can't speak for the entire world, but I can tell you your blanket statement is quite far off the mark.

Don't blame it on USA-centric thinking. You are just wrong to state that nowhere else is like the USA in this regard.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

No. We are talking about two different things here.

I am not talking about arriving and picking up bags on the carousel.

i am talking about IF your bags do not arrive and you physically have to go back to the airport. In the US there is little if any security. In most all other countries if you are separated from your bags they are stored (common sense) in a locked/secure area where you need to produce an ID and/or the baggage claim ticket.

As for producing baggage tags to exit when they have actually arrived there are few airports where they do indeed require this. Mexico City and Buenos Aires periodically.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Talking or seeing someone sure. However being required to produce a tag or ID?I Nope. Fly into many countries you clear immigration, pickup bags, and walk out via green lane never talking to anybody, nor showing ID/tags. For domestic flights, you simply pickup bags and go, no need to even be seen.

Flew to 27 countries last year, never once was I asked for a bag tag or ID to claim bags. Flew domestic in numerous of those (non connecting strictly domestic) and again nothing.
Did you follow the initial thread? This is about baggage that does NOT arrive with you.

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No. We are talking about two different things here.

I am not talking about arriving and picking up bags on the carousel.

i am talking about IF your bags do not arrive and you physically have to go back to the airport. In the US there is little if any security. In most all other countries if you are separated from your bags they are stored (common sense) in a locked/secure area where you need to produce an ID and/or the baggage claim ticket.

As for producing baggage tags to exit when they have actually arrived there are few airports where they do indeed require this. Mexico City and Buenos Aires periodically.
This is the case in the US also. Just because they haven't yet been moved to the back area doesn't mean they weren't going to be. The bag gets sent to the claim belt. An employee then pulls off all bags not claimed and usually proceeds to place directly in back office. However if they get busy they get pulled to the side by office and put in back as time permits.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps but certainly not always.
But the point is that for the most part in most countries baggage claims are in secure areas and/or bags are not accessible to non-travelers. This is not the case in the US where anyone can access that area freely from the outside.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Did you follow the initial thread? This is about baggage that does NOT arrive with you.

Yes. Maybe you should read the whole of the thread. All the responses have been in regards to picking up bags. In fact your initial responses do nothing to limit it to only missed bags. I pointed out that the bag claim area is recessed at JFK to make obvious anyone trying to get to it from outside. You at no point tried to stear conversation to being about bags should be in back of office. Your conversation was simply that there was no I'D or tag check to pickup bags from the claim area. You never said anything about only late bags, which are put in back as time allows and which will require ID or tag to pickup. Did you think they just leave them outside the office forever? Did you expect they put a separate belt in the back of bag office? All bags always go to the claim belt. Any that aren't picked up (late arriving or simply unclaimed) get pulled. Generally placed in back right away, but sometimes placed along the wall when busy to clear space on the claim belt till processed.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

No my point has been consistently focused on this issue. Others have gone off tangent. .
if you don’t feel it’s less secure in the US then fine, I beg to differ.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Late bags don't arrive any differently, assuming they aren't shipped or put on a bus. They still arrive on a flight and will be in the carousel in an unsecured area, until at some point they are removed from the carousel by staff. The staff should, at some point, store them, but it doesn't happen immediately.

I doubt anyone is an expert on international delayed bag arrival processes, it isn't likely you or anyone else have a huge sample size of experience on this in multiple countries. I can tell you in Australia, when they remove bags from the carousel, they often sit in an unsecured area waiting to be processed. Especially in the cases of large disruptions where there is too much baggage for the back room. I've arrived in MEL several times with bags lined up across the back wall in this fashion. Sounds very similar to your experience, which you claim is limited to the USA only (it isn't).

But the point is that for the most part in most countries baggage claims are in secure areas and/or bags are not accessible to non-travelers. This is not the case in the US where anyone can access that area freely from the outside.
Again, quite a false statement. Outside of international arrivals (which are secure in the USA as well), domestic luggage retrieval is unsecured at the vast majority (95%) of airports I've been to around the world. You claim that you are only talking about delayed bags, but a statement like this is NOT just about delayed luggage! A 'baggage claim' is where everyone picks up their luggage, and it is NOT typically in a secure area for domestic travels worldwide.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.