FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   7 days for miles redeposit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1924930-7-days-miles-redeposit.html)

hi55us Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

7 days for miles redeposit?

I made a silly mistake and booked an award ticket for the wrong date. Went online to do the free 24 hour cancel and they said this ticket can't be cancelled online. Called up the phone agent and she said it would take 7 days to redeposit, no redeposit fee to cancel since I'm within 24 hours.

Is it really going to take 7 days? It's a shame they can't do it instantly like with Cash tickets.

davetravels Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am

I've never had a mileage redeposit that was anything other than instantaneous. If you're watching your account balance for the miles, sometimes it helps if you log out, and relog back in again. Maybe even open a new tab or a new window.

3Cforme Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

Any partner-operated segments?

Mr. Tickets Aug 13, 2018 9:50 am

It could be that the agent you spoke to was not trained to make the redeposit, so she queued to another department to be worked.

hi55us Aug 13, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets (Post 30077407)
It could be that the agent you spoke to was not trained to make the redeposit, so she queued to another department to be worked.

Ugh. Hopefully she didn't mess it up, since now I don't see the reservation in my trips and I don't have the miles.

This is a simple delta operated flight SEA-BOS.

WidgetTravels Aug 13, 2018 9:56 am

If the redeeming passenger is a Platinum or Diamond, redeposits can be done instantly.

Otherwise, the PNR is queued off for manual redeposit.

hi55us Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels (Post 30077448)
If the redeeming passenger is a Platinum or Diamond, redeposits can be done instantly.

Unfortunately I'm not Platinum...

jdrtravel Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am

This has not been my experience. As a GM and also when I was FO the miles were deposited instantly. I've cancelled tickets many times and never once had to wait more than a few minutes to see them appear.

RacingJunkie Aug 13, 2018 10:49 am

Worried you are not earning interest on those valuable miles?

hi55us Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie (Post 30077692)
Worried you are not earning interest on those valuable miles?

Actually was looking to use them for the correct dates. I don't have any other miles in my account so I can't book until they are redeposited.

RealHJ Aug 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 30077879)
Actually was looking to use them for the correct dates. I don't have any other miles in my account so I can't book until they are redeposited.

Next time it happens and you call, ask them to reissue it for the new flights/dates requested. Instead of doing it as as a separate redeposit and then book new flight on your own, have the res agent do both in one go. Then it's more likely to be all done timely, as DL will need to cancel the old ticket and credit its miles to the new ticket timely.

flyerCO Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Agent can do for any member. However unless you tell them you need right away, they'll queue them. Even as DM agents frequently queue them.

davetravels Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm

2 thingz . . . .

1) Just now - - - I redeposited a PIT/MEX/PIT award trip. When the phone agent was finished, I refreshed my account on my computer - - Nothing - - Same balance as before the ticket was canceled.

I simply logged out - and back in again, and my miles are back! Even the phone agent was surprised, because she said it would take up to 3 days to post.

2) I did have a recent odd situation with an award ticket redeposit about 2 months ago . . . .

I noticed that the itinerary disappeared from my list of trips on my app - - BUT - - the miles were NOT back! This is a week or two after I canceled the ticket! So, I called, and the agent said that the reservation was still active, but there were no flights in it! So, the flight segments were canceled, but, the ITINERARY was not cancelled!

Again, as soon as she canceled the ticket, the miles appeared INSTANTLY! This was a 140K RT J award ticket to Europe.

DT :)

WidgetTravels Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30078268)
Agent can do for any member. However unless you tell them you need right away, they'll queue them. Even as DM agents frequently queue them.

Not true. There's currently no mechanism in place to have a frontline agent immediately redeposit the miles. The cancel and redeposit option will charge the $150 (which is of course waived for PM/DM).

Risk Free doesn't work for Award Tickets, so PNRs are typically queued. It's possible to contact Ticketing Support/SkyMiles Support to have them immediately work it...but frontline cannot do this.

flyerCO Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels (Post 30079534)
Not true. There's currently no mechanism in place to have a frontline agent immediately redeposit the miles. The cancel and redeposit option will charge the $150 (which is of course waived for PM/DM).

Risk Free doesn't work for Award Tickets, so PNRs are typically queued. It's possible to contact Ticketing Support/SkyMiles Support to have them immediately work it...but frontline cannot do this.

Some agents are trained to do it without help. Most yes if want immediate redeposit require putting you on hold and contacting the department. Number of res agents were hired and trained long enough ago to be able to do things agents aren't taught anymore.

Just like sometimes you can get a GA who knows how to pull miles to process a mileage upgrade at the gate.

Not sure what you mean about risk free. Award tickets are covered by the policy. Even tickets booked within 72 hours of departure are covered.