Wiki Posts
Search

Details of Delta's Cuba Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Details of Delta's Cuba Insurance?

Where can I find specific information on the levels and types of coverage in Delta's required temporary health insurance policy for Cuba? TIA (and after, if my manners hold).

Last edited by kthomas; Aug 13, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Here's a Link to a PDF copy of insurance document. Doctors/hospitals should (but may not be) that all you need is a copy of passport and boarding pass (digital or physical) to get service.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:14 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you one more time, @flyerCO "a FlyerTalk legend."
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Hmmm. Looking at that, it seems quite low compared to the coverage I took out myself for about $20. Do those amounts look sufficient to folks?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kthomas
Hmmm. Looking at that, it seems quite low compared to the coverage I took out myself for about $20. Do those amounts look sufficient to folks?
Its the same policy all the airlines give. (They're actually issued by the same company, just the agency name that each airline purchases through is different)

Remember healthcare outside the US isn't about the $.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Remember healthcare outside the US isn't about the $.
Should I tell a Heidelberg story? Let's hold off ...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Its the same policy all the airlines give. (They're actually issued by the same company, just the agency name that each airline purchases through is different)
Lessee. The policy I purchased from the first reasonably recommended provider before knowing this was included was (not revealing my age) about $50 for 30 days @$2M maximum $100 deductable, and coverages all about 10x these. I'm unlikely to cancel at this point, given some anedotal stories on Tripadvisor.

That's probably overkill, but for a few $ to double coverages no big deal. How do we reasonably measure risk here-- without spending too much time on the exercise?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kthomas
Lessee. The policy I purchased from the first reasonably recommended provider before knowing this was included was (not revealing my age) about $50 for 30 days @$2M maximum $100 deductable, and coverages all about 10x these. I'm unlikely to cancel at this point, given some anedotal stories on Tripadvisor.

That's probably overkill, but for a few $ to double coverages no big deal. How do we reasonably measure risk here-- without spending too much time on the exercise?
$50 is twice the cost of the policy the airline includes. Thus makes sense your policy includes more. The airline insurance is mandatory. You can't not accept it. If you feel you need more great, but Cuba is well known for its high end, low cost medical care. Sounds like you're thinking in terms of costs for medical care in US. Even my brief 3 day visit in a hospital in the UK would more than have been covered by 30000USD.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

$50 is twice the cost of the policy the airline includes. Thus makes sense your policy includes more. The airline insurance is mandatory. You can't not accept it. If you feel you need more great, but Cuba is well known for its high end, low cost medical care. Sounds like you're thinking in terms of costs for medical care in US. Even my brief 3 day visit in a hospital in the UK would more than have been covered by 30000USD.
<br /><br />Please don't make assumptions, it's not like I live in the US <br /><br />Three days is one thing, a major illness is another. $20K is fine for a three-day hospital stay at a private here in Mexico, but it would strain a more serious or acute situation.<br /><br />I can push the deductable up and pull down the catastropic to $300K or so and be below $25 and AFAICT quickly, have about 10x the coverage... and also FWIW, this looks far below what anyone on the commercial market is offering. So... wait, isn't forced bundling of services a violation of securities law? (Plus Delta I think, has the liablity for anyone who thinks this is more than it is, and doesn't purchase insurance).<br /><br />That isn't saying that it isn't reasonable, but that some analysis of risk-benefit is needed. The recent Friend-of-a-Friend who needed medevacing from Mexico was an idiot, but wouldn't be covered under this by far. And... does Delta charge this to Cuban citizens?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Let's say the chances of a cardial infraction with serious compicationa ate 1 in 1M. But the chances of a similar illness are 1 in 100K. (We could check these figures, I just want a model). And the rough costs to insure a 99.99% chance of survival are $100K in such a situation.

DL's policy leaves you about $70K out of pocket. You have a .001 chance of this scenario. $70K x .001 is $70. That's what you should pay to offset this risk, all else aside; on this analyis, DL is full of crap and selling a relatively worthless product, and $25 for a policy from an actual insurance company seems pretty reasonable.

I hate to beg to differ, but it is not clear that your characterizatioin of Cuba's health care system is accurate. (Perhaps I biased by the current regime's confiscation of family property ... but probably not; I think the case is arguable, however).

Now... who's the highest placed Williams grad in the SEC? Maybe a little tap on the airlines' shoulders is in order.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

It's a legal requirement imposed on the airlines. Anyone, even visitor's from overseas connecting in US must purchase the insurance if flying via the US to Cuba.

The problem with third party insurance is there's no way for the airline to verify it's been paid for in a manner that meets US sanctions.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

It's a legal requirement imposed on the airlines. Anyone, even visitor's from overseas connecting in US must purchase the insurance if flying via the US to Cuba.
You realize it's also a legal requirement for entering the Schengen Area?

Visitors to Cuba are required to have insurance, yes. It's not necessarily enforced. None of this requires or authorizes Delta AFAIK or any other major to force-sell a policy to PAX, no more than DL is forced to charge PAX who are Mexican residents or citizens taxes that don't apply to us, and require a refund request to recover those charges that don't apply to to residents and citizens. (DL must be up to $5K or so again on those for me; about enough to make the time to get a refund worth it).

Again: is DL charging this insurance fee to Cuban residents and citizens?

In any case, we're a bit far from the point, of determining the extent of DL's coverage and whether it is sufficient.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

1)AFAIK, health insurance is only required if applying for a Schengen Visa, which vast majority don't need.
2)it's a requirement to get visa, thus airline doesn't need proof as the visa wouldn't be issued otherwise.

3)Again, the airline must ensure everything that you do to enter complies with US sanctions. They also must ensure the insurance meets Cuban requirements. None of this can be done with a privately bought policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.