Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket -- GUC question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Accor Platinum; Bonvoy Platinum; Hertz #1 Gold; HHonors Silver
Award Ticket -- GUC question

GUC question from a newbie with global upgrades.

Do I have to buy a specific fare class of ticket (B, M, or Y) to apply the GUC or upgrade with miles? Or can I book an award ticket using miles and then apply the upgrade coupon?

Trying to figure out if best to buy a economy ticket and use miles to upgrade or a GUC or just use miles to buy the entire D1 ticket.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:10 pm

The best advice is to carefully review the terms and conditions that accompanied your GUCs.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
To the best of my knowledge, if you're flying on an actual Delta metal flight, a GUC can be used with any fare class except "E". Also, award tickets are not eligible for GUC use.

GUCs can be used on some int'l partner flights, but, the rules vary widely, I think it's safe to say.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T&C's can be found here -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l/#certificate
under "Global Upgrade Terms & Conditions"

"Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares including those booked in E class, or Award Tickets. "
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Keep in mind that GUC inventory on many DL routes is very limited, so it is best to call DL to see what they have available for GUC upgrades and then plan accordingly. However, my experience is that it often is not possible to get confirmed upgrades for the desired destination and (approximate) date. If you are going to Europe, the most transparent way to go is to investigate KLM-operated flights before calling: If they have availability in Z, then a skilled DL agent typically will be able to make that work for you; it will involve a reissue actually on KLM in Z. This actually works out in your favor from a perspective of MQMs and miles earned on the trip.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Accor Platinum; Bonvoy Platinum; Hertz #1 Gold; HHonors Silver
Thank you all!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Keep in mind that GUC inventory on many DL routes is very limited, so it is best to call DL to see what they have available for GUC upgrades and then plan accordingly. However, my experience is that it often is not possible to get confirmed upgrades for the desired destination and (approximate) date. If you are going to Europe, the most transparent way to go is to investigate KLM-operated flights before calling: If they have availability in Z, then a skilled DL agent typically will be able to make that work for you; it will involve a reissue actually on KLM in Z. This actually works out in your favor from a perspective of MQMs and miles earned on the trip.
Nice...any types for Australia?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by umich07
Nice...any types for Australia?
Australia as in Virgin Australia? No. See T&C's linked above --

"Upgrade Certificates can be used on any Delta-operated flight, and select partner-operated flights with KLM, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Korean Air and Aeromexico."
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
The best advice is to carefully review the terms and conditions that accompanied your GUCs.

Hey! People are allowed to post questions here even when the answers are available at other places. Stop posting the same comment all of the time.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
However, you can use a GUC on a pay with miles ticket... just not an award ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hey! People are allowed to post questions here even when the answers are available at other places. Stop posting the same comment all of the time.
IMO people are also allowed to post pointers to information too, especially when the information may be stated more succintly and with lots of relevant info gathered in one place, rather than extracting it piecemeal one at a time as questions occur to someone. It's also all just right there and you don't have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for someone to answer the question.

Just because it's snarky doesn't make it bad advice. But I guess, for people who enjoy surprises, feel free not to take advantage of readily available sources of info.

And BTW to be clear I also see nothing wrong with asking clarifying questions or asking for confirmation/reassurance/what are people's actual experiences vs. written policy etc.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
IMO people are also allowed to post pointers to information too, especially when the information may be stated more succintly and with lots of relevant info gathered in one place, rather than extracting it piecemeal one at a time as questions occur to someone. It's also all just right there and you don't have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for someone to answer the question.

Just because it's snarky doesn't make it bad advice. But I guess, for people who enjoy surprises, feel free not to take advantage of readily available sources of info.

And BTW to be clear I also see nothing wrong with asking clarifying questions or asking for confirmation/reassurance/what are people's actual experiences vs. written policy etc.

Completely agree, but the poster did not even post a link to the terms and has a history of making the same comment. So it seems less about being helpful or efficient and more about just policing the forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.