A few questions about a trip in FC

Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Question A few questions about a trip in FC

Hi, I have a few questions about a trip my wife and I are taking.
I don't have status with DL or anyone else. I am an absolute amateur flyer maybe 2-3 flights a year and always in economy.

We are flying FC from LAX -PVR and back. Those tickets were originally purchased in the main cabin but I upgraded them to FC. No miles or status were used just good old cash.
What are the chances of us being downgraded or bumped? The DYKWIA thread kinda spooked me.
Will Sky Priority help us get through security at LAX any faster? Our flight to PVR is on a Tuesday at 10am

My understanding is that we have to check in and drop baggage off at T2 then depart out of T3.
Where do we do security in T2 or T3?
How do we get from T2-T3?

We are staying at the 4 points by LAX with a free shuttle. What time should we plan on being at LAX.?
I definitely want to take my wife to the Delta lounge. To bad PHX doesn't have a lounge yet. This is the last week of Oct and the lounge is slated to be completed late 2018
My understanding is that PVR does not have a lounge either.

We are super excited about this trip. We have the flights to and from PHX - LAX booked in FC as well (2 days before). Those were not upgrades they were bought FC
As I mentioned in another post my wife has only flown economy her whole life. I in a past career I used to fly biz or FC a third of all my trips.
I contacted DL through FB and they have put notes on the itinerary that the FC seats are a surprise for my wife.

Thanks for any info you can pass along
Tom
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:05 pm

On thread per trip please:
I think I blew a FC surprise
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey Sorry.
Can you delete this post then and I'll just continue the other post
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The thread was about people demanding it. Demanding doesn't mean it happens, just means they're a tw*t. Absent IRROPS you'll be in F.

You'll checkin at T2. You then can proceed through security at T2 and use the T2 Skyclub. If your flight ends up departing from T3 or TBIT Gate 133 you then must catch a shuttle between terminals. If you know for sure its out of T3 (won't know till just before flight which fate/terminal) you can walk to T3 and clear security there, followed by one of two T3 Skyclubs. Note T3 clubs are not as nice as T2.

If needed, there's signs that'll direct you to the gate the shuttles depart from. Leave at least 20 minutes before you wish to arrive at gate if flight ends up being out of different terminal then that you cleared security at. This will ensure you don't arrive late.

I would checkin no layer then 90 minutes before departure if wish to use SC. You'll be able to use the Sky Priority line for security.

Not really sure the whole contacting DL thing. If she logs in online or calls, she'll see you're in F. When she checks in, she'll see it. Understand the desire, it's just not practical.
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
It sounds like he’s handling all of the details, including check-in, himself.

To OP: Since you’re staying at the airport, you can get there early to have breakfast at the Sky Club. However, in all likelihood, the 4S has much better food than any SC. I’d be more inclined to wait at the hotel until 2 hours pre-departure and, in a very leisurely fashion, head to the airport then. Since you have a morning flight I’d just get sleep instead of hitting the club — believe us when we say they’re nothing special and are often overcrowded.

Sky Priority can cut security wait times down considerably on heavy days. For domestic flights, I rarely arrive at the airport more than an hour before departure. I’ll do 90 minutes for international... sometimes.
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes Horta, I am handling everything. The only thing we did together was book through our mutual checking account. I upgraded everything from my personal debit card.
My wife is not OCD like am. I'm checking the DL app all the time. I really think she doesn't care since it's booked and we have the original printed confirmation on the fridge.

Your right about having breakfast at the 4s too, I just wanted to take her through the lounge so she can see what's offered with a Z class ticket maybe have a drink.
I want this trip to be very special for her. It's going to be fun to see her reaction.

Thanks for your advice
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Also Thanks FCO for the advice.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Lufthomie
Yes Horta, I am handling everything. The only thing we did together was book through our mutual checking account. I upgraded everything from my personal debit card.
My wife is not OCD like am. I'm checking the DL app all the time. I really think she doesn't care since it's booked and we have the original printed confirmation on the fridge.

Your right about having breakfast at the 4s too, I just wanted to take her through the lounge so she can see what's offered with a Z class ticket maybe have a drink.
I want this trip to be very special for her. It's going to be fun to see her reaction.

Thanks for your advice
Treat her like the Queen she is! ;-)

FT is a two-edged sword. Most here are jaded travelers that don’t view First Class and Sky Clubs as anything special, unlike your wife who will undoubtedly love the “upper crust” treatment. It’s nice to indulge, so by all means enjoy a Mimosa at the club en route to your gate, then have another onboard.

Also, remember that FC boards in PREMIUM, which is above Sky Priority and boards immediately after preboards and military. To make it extra-special, if the Gate Agent isn’t swamped and seems cordial, let them know that this is a special trip for your wife and First Class might be commonplace for them but it’s a new experience for her and — in some cases — they might tell the flight crew, which might result in a visit from the captain to your seats. That’ll give her another story to tell when she gets back (or nothing at all will happen, but never hurts to tell the GA).

Also, if you happen to be a “cute old couple”, agents are often willing to go out of their way to make things more pleasant for you.

Obviously, just don’t be a pest. ;-)
strickerj, daloosh and Seabilly like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Chance of getting downgraded is near zero, even with IROPs.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Obviously, just don’t be a pest. ;-)
I can be a pest that is why Wifey is going FC.
Years ago I read a thread in these forums about bringing a small gift to the flight crew.
Since then I've done it on almost every flight.
It's usually chocolate covered espresso beans and a few other sweets.
The 1st time I flew with my wife we were on a flight from PHX-DEN
I had forgotten to bring the FC anything so at the airport I bought the espresso beans and something else.
Before we took took off the FA's came by and swiped our TV's and we had free TV to DEN.

This past April we flew PHX-IAH-MEX and I did the gifts for both flights. The crew did notice . I was given free drinks all the way to Mexico city. IAH-MEX I gave the gifts as I boarded. When the drinks were being passed out it was a different flight attendant who was probably in the back during boarding. When I tried to hand her my credit card for the rum n coke I ordered she told me to put it away and gave me 2 bottles of bacardi. She did that twice for me on that flight.

Once I did it going to Romania (NGO work) and left the plane with a bag full of chocolate covered pretzels, toys, coloring books, and a bottle of Champagne.
I work in Law Enforcement and see some dark things and deal with bad people. Sometimes I cant leave work at work and come home not the same person when I left for work. My wife understands what I do as she was once in LE herself.
Shes a first class woman. I just wish my salary could make FC flights happen all the time.

Yeah, we're the cute old couple.
TheHorta, SeaHawg, daloosh and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:37 am

I work in Law Enforcement and see some dark things and deal with bad people. Sometimes I cant leave work at work and come home not the same person when I left for work. My wife understands what I do as she was once in LE herself.

Shes a first class woman. I just wish my salary could make FC flights happen all the time.

Yeah, we're the cute old couple.
I work extensively with LEAs and LEOs in tactical training in low-light and no-light applications of FoF.

LE and $$ don't go together, sadly. It's who you are, not what you do, brother.
Lufthomie, puck021 and Loadmaster like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHorta

Treat her like the Queen she is! ;-)

FT is a two-edged sword. Most here are jaded travelers that don’t view First Class and Sky Clubs as anything special, unlike your wife who will undoubtedly love the “upper crust” treatment. It’s nice to indulge, so by all means enjoy a Mimosa at the club en route to your gate, then have another onboard.
TheHorta, I have a question. How would you handle this?
Wife’s friend Michelle and her beau are going with us for 10 days. We have a place booked through Airbnb. It’s indulging alright at $200 a night. Right on the beach with a pool, exclusive neighborhood (north of PV).
All I know is that a deposit has been placed (Michelle picked the property) and we don’t have to come up with our share right away. I could throw the whole thing on my CC that’s not a problem.

After we booked the flight, Michelle suffered medical issues and ended up having open heart and brain surgery the 2nd week of July. She was released with flying colors and my understanding is her Dr’s gave her the green light for the trip. She’s 60 and prior to med issues was very active.

Once the rental is paid for what happens if Michelle cannot travel? I feel like a jerk just thinking about that scenario. I guess if it’s paid we stay there ourselves. I have an Uncle who lives there and he wants us to stay with him if it’s just the two of us. We would like to stay with him too. Regardless of where we stay we are taking an over night to Guadalajara with my uncle. I know Michelle did purchase trip travel insurance for the flight but the property hasn’t been booked yet so that’s not covered.

I guess I didn’t plan where we are staying that well. My uncle is aware of all the issues. I know I could call him from the PV airport last minute and he would fetch us in a minute.

Wife and I don’t want to stay on the beach at the fancy rental if it’s just the two of us.
What to do?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd suggest just getting breakfast in one of the LAX SCs. The 4PTS breakfast isn't great and isn't fast, plus when I stayed there the airport shuttle required extra time as some were completely full and they didn't seem to run as frequently as they should have. To be safe, go to the airport earlier and have your breakfast there for free. You'll probably get a fairly big early lunch (check this on your itinerary) on the flight too.

Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:22 am

What to do?
Ask Dear Abby?

This is the DL forum.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Ask Dear Abby?

This is the DL forum.
yeah I realize that Capt Obvious. The thread is based on a Delta flight. The question was to another member who had been giving me advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.