FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Elite earnings on a split DL/AS ticket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1924654-elite-earnings-split-dl-ticket.html)

bj27 Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

Elite earnings on a split DL/AS ticket?

Hey all, searching the forum seems to indicate this doesn't happen all that often, especially after the DL/AS break-up and DL's move to revenue-based SkyMiles...

Two scenarios I'm looking for guidance on (I'm a DM on DL and nothing on AS):

1) Flying AAA-(DL D Class)-BBB-(AS P class)-CCC on one itinerary, DL-issued ticket. DL has my SkyMiles number, and AS has my Alaska MileagePlan number.

The total fare was $1000, but for the entire itinerary. I'm assuming I'll earn 150% miles/EQM for the Alaska leg in Alaska MileagePlan, but I'm unsure how I would earn on the Delta portion...
a) Would they use the entire $1000 fare, or somehow split it between the AS and DL legs?

2) Flying WWW-(AS Q Class)-XXX-(DL P Class)-YYY-(DL P Class)-ZZZ on one itinerary. AS issued ticket now. Both DL and AS have my respective program numbers like before. How would mileage earning work here?

Delta doesn't seem to have the receipt available to know what the fare total is, but it was around $800 total...
a) How would Skymiles earning work here since it was AS-ticketed?
b) Would DM benefits apply here since it was AS-ticketed?

Thank you for anyone's experience here!

flyerCO Aug 11, 2018 11:43 am

1)Ticketed by DL. DL knows fully what you paid. The DL segment will earn MQD based on what percent of total (all flights) mileage the individual DL segment equals. Ie Total miles flown is 1000, the DL segment is 750 miles long. You'll get 75% of the paid fare as MQD. RDM will be based off this amount.

2)ticketed by another airline. This can be tricky. It depends on if DL knows the amount of the fare you paid. If they know it, then as above. If they don't, then it'll earn like an exception fare. (Basically like a partner coded flight would earn)

bj27 Aug 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30071828)
1)Ticketed by DL. DL knows fully what you paid. The DL segment will earn MQD based on what percent of total (all flights) mileage the individual DL segment equals. Ie Total miles flown is 1000, the DL segment is 750 miles long. You'll get 75% of the paid fare as MQD. RDM will be based off this amount.

2)ticketed by another airline. This can be tricky. It depends on if DL knows the amount of the fare you paid. If they know it, then as above. If they don't, then it'll earn like an exception fare. (Basically like a partner coded flight would earn)

Interesting. Thanks for the insight! I will see what happens and then report back here.