1MM Baggage damage - recourse?

Old Aug 11, 18, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
1MM Baggage damage - recourse?

Hi folks. I have a Hartmann black wheeler roll-aboard as a DL 1MM gift. I've had it a couple of years. Just recently the airport baggage system ripped off a handle. Is there any sort of warrantee? Or do I do a botch job and try and fix it?
Old Aug 11, 18, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by heckler View Post
Hi folks. I have a Hartmann black wheeler roll-aboard as a DL 1MM gift. I've had it a couple of years. Just recently the airport baggage system ripped off a handle. Is there any sort of warrantee? Or do I do a botch job and try and fix it?
Contact DL if no warranty. They're likely to be willing to do something. BTW I've had more damaged luggage this summer than in last 5 years combined. DL has paid this summer to replace two hard sided American Tourister and one off name hard side.
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:12 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
All my "damaged" luggage while flying DL has been repaired or replace at their expenses.

All the damages were reported at baggage claim service counter.
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:13 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
https://shop.hartmann.com/Warranty.html

That might help.
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you file a proper claim with DL, it is liable under its own contract for repair or replacement. A very good chance that it will simply ship you a new case or offer you something equivalent (which you may refuse). You may then hang onto or repair the damaged case as you choose.

For those who may be flying into a large station such as ATL or JFK, and have a standard case you don't particularly care about, DL typically has generic bags in stock and will simply issue you one on the spot. Again, you may refuse the offer, but for standard items where all you care about is functionality, you may do just as well to take the new item.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM 1.8MM, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, HH GLD
My understanding is that handles are not covered under Delta's baggage policy. I had a similar incident where my Tumi handle was broken in transit and DL baggage stated handles are specifically excluded from coverage. I ended up sending it to Tumi and it was covered under warranty. YMMV
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by langbr01 View Post
My understanding is that handles are not covered under Delta's baggage policy.
There's a DOT Guidance Letter to carriers from 2015 that calls BS on those exclusions.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...v_11242015.pdf
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM 1.8MM, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, HH GLD
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
There's a DOT Guidance Letter to carriers from 2015 that calls BS on those exclusions.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...v_11242015.pdf
I just saved this PDF for future reference. Thanks 3Cforme.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:30 am

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a question what kind of damage is covered? I recently flew with 2 checked pieces of luggage. When I picked it up, a handle on one was ripped off. I showed it to someone at Delta and they gave me a new piece of luggage. When I got home, I noticed that hard shell on my other suitcase was cracked in 2 places. I am not sure if this is normal wear and tear (suitcase is around 5 years old ) or Delta is responsible.

I never had this happen before. Hence the question.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
DL has repaired compensated me twice for damaged baggage rails/handles. I contacted the baggage office when for documentation and they just mailed me a check for the cost of the bag.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't really have anything to add here, but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Is the fact that the bag was a 1MM gift relevant? Does delta really make such a distinction when deciding how to handle a damage incident?
Old Aug 11, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I don't really have anything to add here, but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Is the fact that the bag was a 1MM gift relevant? Does delta really make such a distinction when deciding how to handle a damage incident?
Iím not certain as Iím not the OP, but my guess is it could be relevant when it comes to the warranty question. Some manufacturers have a non-transferable or a limited warranty. If thatís the case, the distributor (in this case Delta) sometimes has their own since theyíre providing it. So the question becomes who has what and who do you go to for the best outcome...
Old Aug 11, 18, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I only brought up the 1MM, so as to provide where I obtained the bags origin /it's type, and age.
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Delta should pay to fix it if you filed a baggage damage report.

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
It matters in regard to warranty. For example in the hartmann link above, it states "Coverage under the 2 Year Limited Warranty requires a retailer receipt as proof of purchase." Not sure how the 1MM gift works in this instance.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Delta should pay to fix it if you filed a baggage damage report.

It matters in regard to warranty. For example in the hartmann link above, it states "Coverage under the 2 Year Limited Warranty requires a retailer receipt as proof of purchase." Not sure how the 1MM gift works in this instance.
Delta is the retailer in this case. Just because it's a "gift" doesn't mean you can't get a receipt.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: