FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL "Mishandling" Luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1924544-dl-mishandling-luggage.html)

vincentharris Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

DL "Mishandling" Luggage

If I were DL I would get tired of being blamed for everything, I am by no means a DL apologist, but in this case the way they were throwing the luggage down the chute was normal in my opinion? Granted the stroller at the end was stupid and DL baggage handlers should have done better, but the first 2 suitcases looked like "normal" handling to me.

If people could figure out how to I am certain they would blame DL or another airline for Amelia Earhart's plane disappearing too.

Delta passenger records baggage handler 'recklessly' throwing bags, dropping stroller on ground | Fox News

vincentharris Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

I honestly dont know what people want? If people now complain about those chutes on the jet bridges I say the solution is to get rid of gate checking. If your bag does not fit in the overhead you have to abandon your luggage or go back to pre security and check your bag.

I know that sounds a bit overboard, but if people are unhappy with the chute what could possibly be the solution???

HWGeeks Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Two point deduction being the first reply to your own thread is worst than liking your own post!

Zorak Aug 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm conflicted about this. As a window seat person I've seen a lot of this too. You'd like them to treat your bag as lovingly and carefully as they would treat their own bag. Then again maybe they already are :)

Of course, they have a schedule to keep (at least in theory), and maybe if you just gingerly laid the bag down on the chute it wouldn't slide all the way down or something.

So bottom line I might cringe slightly but I also understand the necessity. And either pack fragile things well in layers of clothes or keep them in my backpack...

FlyingUnderTheRadar Aug 10, 2018 3:12 pm

My first thought on the stroller it that does not appear to be stowed for traveling? Seems to me that for the best results one should stow it and place it in a travel bag. That said, that toss is pretty hap hazard. As for the bags, my guess is the ramp workers have learned that unless the bags have some inertia they do not slide down the chutes all the time. Which some has to climb up and retrieve them.

The lesson should be do not gate check your bags and pack your bags like they going to be treated like this:

pvn Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm

The luggage is no big deal IMO. Those chutes are that corrugated plastic that has a bounce to it.

The idea that luggage should be babied is something I don't really understand, the whole purpose of it is to accept bounces and dirt etc.

The stroller is a bit different, it clearly wasn't folded down properly, the thrower should have noticed this and gotten it secured.

pvn Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 30069315)
Two point deduction being the first reply to your own thread is worst than liking your own post!

you can't like your own post on this site

Zorak Aug 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 30069433)
The idea that luggage should be babied is something I don't really understand, the whole purpose of it is to accept bounces and dirt etc.

Oh, I know. But it's a psychological thing :o I get over it. PDBs help :)

TomMM Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 30069356)
You'd like them to treat your bag as lovingly and carefully as they would treat their own bag.

If people want that, they should get on the ramp and load their bags themselves!

Zorak Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 30069464)
If people want that, they should get on the ramp and load their bags themselves!

Very customer-friendly -- I hope all your business interactions are handled by employees in the same spirit :)

I do realize however, as mentioned above, that in most cases concerns about luggage handling are overblown.

gooselee Aug 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Setting aside the stroller that looks like it wasn't folded/locked properly to begin with...

I expect my checked luggage to be treated rough. Those rampers are handling 100s or 1000s of bags a day and efficiency is their priority. Some of the automated conveyors underneath the terminal probably cause harder impacts than what's in that video. OTOH I usually also see them properly handle boxes and stuff that have the giant "FRAGILE" tape on them. Certainly every time I check a box of wine or something and ask for the fragile sticker, it arrives intact. I don't really need a suitcase full of clothes to be handled with tender loving care.

Sort of related - I was on the B&R Facebook site earlier today to bug them about a bag Mrs. Lee wants to buy. The video they have playing as their background image is kind of neat to watch.

Often1 Aug 10, 2018 4:12 pm

There is a reason to use luggage and not paper bags. We are talking about the hold of a commercial airliner.

The options for gate-checking are few and the notion that items will be treated with care is absurd.

Lux Flyer Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I believe this video was posted on FlyerTalk a few months ago? What is happening in the passenger's video is nice and cushy compared to what bags go through.

Mountain Explorer Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm

I expect checked bags to take a beating (and I pack accordingly). Pink-tag carry-ons are different tho, I expect them to be treated better. This seems rather careless to me.

bkamdg Sep 14, 2018 8:08 am

Bumping this up, and not really sure if this is the right place to do it...

My fiancé is currently on DL 2183 ATL-ORD. She was asked to gate check her bag along with some others. As she was handed her recipet for her bag she realized her bag had been tagged with the wrong name and was given the wrong receipt. She informed the gate agent for the error the gate agent responded with something about missing the on time departure. My fiancé raised her concern with the FA received an answer like, you don’t have a connection so don’t worry about it.

What are the odds that my fiance’s bag ends up continuing on with the other person? I know ORD is not a big hub or even focus city for DL (things would be worse if it was ORD-ATL). I’ve called DL since she was on the flight, and the person on the phone basically said, yeah, this could end poorly, I hope it all works out, file a complaint in ORD. I’ve contacted DL by phone and sent an email complaint. But I don’t really have a lot of hope in the system.