Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just became Silver Medallion, can't change seats to preferred on existing itinerary.

Just became Silver Medallion, can't change seats to preferred on existing itinerary.

Old Aug 10, 18, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I always fly Delta, and finally picked up a delta amex and cycled $50k through it in a month. With the bonus setup, I'm now silver medallion.

I have a flight booked already (I used amex points for all 4, Ticket code T) for four of us to Vegas. I was under the impression that once I turned silver, I could choose exit rows, or other seats marked "preferred", but I am still being charged $89.99 for each seat when I try to make that selection.

Are the benefits capped at 2 people (me and a companion) and that is why I'm not being allowed to make that selection? Is it because the ticket was booked in advance?

If it deals with the 4 people being booked together, is there any way to book for 2 people 2 times to get around that issue? I also have AMEX plat and an AMEX plat business, so I already get free bags on whatever flights I book.

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:56 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Gold
Try removing your skymiles number from the reservation and adding it back. It's possible the reservation hasn't picked up that you're silver now.
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM
Seat benefits usually apply to yourself and a companion so the 4 on 1 is likely the cause. Call in to split your reservation, but while you're on the line you can ask about keeping everyone together in the preferred seats, worst they'll say is no.
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHArt View Post
Seat benefits usually apply to yourself and a companion so the 4 on 1 is likely the cause. Call in to split your reservation, but while you're on the line you can ask about keeping everyone together in the preferred seats, worst they'll say is no.
Will the other 2 get free bags? Thanks for the heads up on this, I will start to research it!
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by smallbizzguy View Post
Will the other 2 get free bags? Thanks for the heads up on this, I will start to research it!
The free bag benefit applies to everyone in the same reservation.
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:07 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BHArt View Post
Preferred seating is available to all companions on same reservation. It's only C+/F upgrades that are restricted to a single companion.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...d-seating.html
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, AS MVP, Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
Try removing your skymiles number from the reservation and adding it back. It's possible the reservation hasn't picked up that you're silver now.
Based on experience with other airlines, it's also possible that your status hasn't propagated through every single system yet, so if it still doesn't work, try again in a day or two.
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Based on experience with other airlines, it's also possible that your status hasn't propagated through every single system yet, so if it still doesn't work, try again in a day or two.
This was it! Just got off the phone and she told me that I just became silver this morning (when the email was generated) and it can take upwards of 24 hours before I can actually use the silver benefits. She said to watch my delta profile settings for the "Medallion Complimentary Upgrade Requests" option to appear, and once that has appeared, I will be able to upgrade my seats.

Thank you very much