Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion status changes, effects on existing reservations

Medallion status changes, effects on existing reservations

Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
What happens if you book future flight and lose Platinum status?

I am currently Platinum but will likely only be Gold next year. If I book a trip in 2018 and get upgraded to Comfort +, will my upgrade be "revoked" in January/February when I'm no longer Platinum?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I just went through this. My upgrade was not lost when I dropped status, but I was unable to check in due to a ticket mismatch. When I contacted Twitter, they booted me from my seat and told me that was where I was going to stay unless I paid to upgrade. I objected to this and called Singapore reservations, who after checking with the ticketing desk, believed I should not have been booted from that seat, put me back in it, and instead fixed the ticket.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ked-check.html
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by leubanks83
I am currently Platinum but will likely only be Gold next year. If I book a trip in 2018 and get upgraded to Comfort +, will my upgrade be "revoked" in January/February when I'm no longer Platinum?
If im not mistaken, I believe the policy is they will keep you in your seat unless there is a change of some sort, ie equipment change. or if you change your itinerary after you lose plat status.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You keep it unless 1)there's a reason for reseating to be run - IE change in layout or version of plane. OR 2)there's a reticketing.

SIN was wrong. You only get the seat if you have status when the process is run. If it gets rerun again (IE the above reasons) then status at that point determineso.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You keep it unless 1)there's a reason for reseating to be run - IE change in layout or version of plane. OR 2)there's a reticketing.

SIN was wrong. You only get the seat if you have status when the process is run. If it gets rerun again (IE the above reasons) then status at that point determineso.
In my case, I had status at the time I was upgraded. I held the upgrade and the same exact seat right up until check-in more two months after dropping status. There were no subsequent schedule changes or other events that would cause me to lose the upgrade and go back on the list. Despite this, I still couldn't check in.

Removing me from C+ was the Twitter agent's solution, saying I wasn't eligible to sit in C+, even though I had received the upgrade while I had status. SIN determined that the Twitter agent was wrong to remove me from the C+ seat, as I was eligible for the upgrade at the time I received it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
In my case, I had status at the time I was upgraded. I held the upgrade and the same exact seat right up until check-in more two months after dropping status. There were no subsequent schedule changes or other events that would cause me to lose the upgrade and go back on the list. Despite this, I still couldn't check in.

Removing me from C+ was the Twitter agent's solution, saying I wasn't eligible to sit in C+, even though I had received the upgrade while I had status. SIN determined that the Twitter agent was wrong to remove me from the C+ seat, as I was eligible for the upgrade at the time I received it.
You were eligible at the time the upgrade process ran and you were upgraded. However you were no longer eligible when the process had to be re-run for whatever reason because of OLCI issues. Ticketing issue, reservation issue, whatever. At that point the process needed to be run again and you no longer qualified. It's great they gave it to you, but you were in no way eligible for it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Everything Delta does is based on your status at the time of the situation. If you are gold and cancel an award ticket after becoming Platinum you pay no redeposit fee. The same should work with seats. If you are Platinum and turn gold, you should loose your free upgrade. If you no longer hold status you should not get the free upgrade. Seems only fare. Granted, you will likely keep the seat if nothing happens along the line (equipment change, schedule change etc) that causes you to be displaced.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were eligible at the time the upgrade process ran and you were upgraded. However you were no longer eligible when the process had to be re-run for whatever reason because of OLCI issues. Ticketing issue, reservation issue, whatever. At that point the process needed to be run again and you no longer qualified. It's great they gave it to you, but you were in no way eligible for it.
No, the "process" of me being upgraded to C+ didn't need to be re-run. I was already in C+. If there's a ticket issue, fix the ticket.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 7, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Everything Delta does is based on your status at the time of the situation. If you are gold and cancel an award ticket after becoming Platinum you pay no redeposit fee. The same should work with seats. If you are Platinum and turn gold, you should loose your free upgrade. If you no longer hold status you should not get the free upgrade. Seems only fare. Granted, you will likely keep the seat if nothing happens along the line (equipment change, schedule change etc) that causes you to be displaced.
Disagree. Transactions that are already settled should not be undone. Back when Medallions got enhanced award availability, if you booked a ticket using that enhanced availability, and then dropped status before your flight, should they have cancelled your entire ticket?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
That was then, this is now. Status expires and your privileges expire at the same time. You can still use your CHoice Benefits after you lose your status, but then again those were given to you with certain known limitations. (Availability and expiration dates). I fully expect Delta to tighten up as many things as possible in the future. Face it, FT members will never agree on everything. All depends upon how it affects YOU. Also, Delta fully admits that seat assignments are not guaranteed and subject to change.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No, the "process" of me being upgraded to C+ didn't need to be re-run. I was already in C+. If there's a ticket issue, fix the ticket.
However part of the ticket reissue means updating the reservation. Thus since you are ticketed in Y and not W your reservation will seat you into Y.

You're acting like this hasn't been the process for years. Sometimes you win and get a benefit you're not really entitled to on DoD and others something happens and you end up getting exactly what you paid for and qualify to get.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Disagree. Transactions that are already settled should not be undone. Back when Medallions got enhanced award availability, if you booked a ticket using that enhanced availability, and then dropped status before your flight, should they have cancelled your entire ticket?
They are. However if the transactions have to be run again then you get what you qualify for at that point in time.

As for your example you're not using equalivants. In your example if you called up and asked to rebook you would need inventory that you had access to. If a schedule change occurred you're of course allowed to be rebooked into whatever inventory is available. Same process as with a paid ticket. If you pay F and there's a change and new flights don't have F, you get rebooked in the next lowest available fare class.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However part of the ticket reissue means updating the reservation. Thus since you are ticketed in Y and not W your reservation will seat you into Y.

You're acting like this hasn't been the process for years. Sometimes you win and get a benefit you're not really entitled to on DoD and others something happens and you end up getting exactly what you paid for and qualify to get.
It's clear you don't comprehend what reservations or tickets represent, so it's really not worth debating further.

For OP, the answer to your question is a huge YMMV.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:50 am

Just became Silver Medallion, can't change seats to preferred on existing itinerary.

I always fly Delta, and finally picked up a delta amex and cycled $50k through it in a month. With the bonus setup, I'm now silver medallion.

I have a flight booked already (I used amex points for all 4, Ticket code T) for four of us to Vegas. I was under the impression that once I turned silver, I could choose exit rows, or other seats marked "preferred", but I am still being charged $89.99 for each seat when I try to make that selection.

Are the benefits capped at 2 people (me and a companion) and that is why I'm not being allowed to make that selection? Is it because the ticket was booked in advance?

If it deals with the 4 people being booked together, is there any way to book for 2 people 2 times to get around that issue? I also have AMEX plat and an AMEX plat business, so I already get free bags on whatever flights I book.

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Try removing your skymiles number from the reservation and adding it back. It's possible the reservation hasn't picked up that you're silver now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.