Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Question

Old Aug 10, 18, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Recently got the Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex. One of the perks is "First Checked Bag Free".
I am flying to Europe soon (Basic Economy, both flights are Delta flight numbers on Delta
metal) and want to be sure that the free baggage allowance applies. I have read through
all the fine print and don't see any exclusions for international flights, but was wondering if
anybody here can confirm this. I have many, many friends who have gotten Citibank cards
where they were promised free bags on AA flights only to find out at the airport that it only
applies to domestic flights.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 10, 18 at 1:04 am
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:43 am

Programs: DL PM
I have flown both TATL and TPAC in regular Y (main cabin) and always received a free checked bag with my Gold DL Amex card. I could be wrong, but I've never known the benefit to be limited to Domestic flights.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
AA limits the free bag benefit that comes with the Citi card to domestic (and maybe North America) only, but DL does not. The Amex Gold should get you a free bag regardless of itinerary or fare class booked.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl View Post
AA limits the free bag benefit that comes with the Citi card to domestic (and maybe North America) only, but DL does not. The Amex Gold should get you a free bag regardless of itinerary or fare class booked.
Just make sure your card shows in your sky miles profile and your ff# is on your reservation.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Should be good if you're on Delta metal TATL, does not include the TATL Codeshares as far as I know.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl View Post
Have the AA Citi biz plat and AA gave me free checked bags from HNL to MEX on an award trip, without me needing to use the card to pay the award taxes.

Quick question, does anyone know if you really need to pay for your DL flight with a DL Amex card to get the free checked bag benefit?

According to the blogs I've read, only UA requires you to use their cobranded card when making the reservation so as to receive the free checked bag benefit, but looking at DL's T&Cs for their benefit, it looks like DL also requires you to use the card when booking the reservation so as to receive the benefit. Link here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked/first-bag-free.html
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 808traveler View Post
Have the AA Citi biz plat and AA gave me free checked bags from HNL to MEX on an award trip, without me needing to use the card to pay the award taxes.

Quick question, does anyone know if you really need to pay for your DL flight with a DL Amex card to get the free checked bag benefit?

According to the blogs I've read, only UA requires you to use their cobranded card when making the reservation so as to receive the free checked bag benefit, but looking at DL's T&Cs for their benefit, it looks like DL also requires you to use the card when booking the reservation so as to receive the benefit. Link here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-bag-free.html
Nope. The Amex DL benefit flows based on the DL FF# on the reservation. DL Amex tied to DL FF#, any reservation using that DL FF# gets the "first bag free" benefit. Makes zero difference how the reservation is paid for - cash, credit card, miles, bitcoin, rocks, tulips, whatever - the "first bag free" benefit only depends on the DL FF# on the reservation and not on the form of payment.
Old Jun 1, 19, 10:45 am

Is the free checked bag benefit determined at the time of booking or at check-in? If I cancel my Amex Delta prior to check-in but after booking, would the free checked bag benefit still be applied to the reservation? Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 19, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Is the free checked bag benefit determined at the time of booking or at check-in? If I cancel my Amex Delta prior to check-in but after booking, would the free checked bag benefit still be applied to the reservation? Thanks.
You need to be a cardholder in good standing on the day of the flight. Not at booking. For example you could book a flight today for 330 days from now. On the day of travel you would need to be a cardholder.
Old Jun 1, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
I have flown both TATL and TPAC in regular Y (main cabin) and always received a free checked bag with my Gold DL Amex card. I could be wrong, but I've never known the benefit to be limited to Domestic flights.
The standard baggage allowance for pax in MC (but not BE) on flights between the US and Asia or Europe is one free 50# bag.
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:03 am

Another aspect that we learned was that if you and your spouse are traveling on the same route, on different confirmation #, with the same last name- they will honor the free bag for each of you.
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Momtravels View Post
Another aspect that we learned was that if you and your spouse are traveling on the same route, on different confirmation #, with the same last name- they will honor the free bag for each of you.
Oh, so I'm flying this week with my husband and 2 children. My husband is the Delta AmEx Gold card holder, but he is on one reservation by himself (paid for with a different credit card). My understanding is that he should automatically get the free bag when he checks in online. How do those of us on a different reservation (but same exact flights) get the free bags? At the airport? What do we need to do/show to get them?
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:17 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Denise VE View Post
Oh, so I'm flying this week with my husband and 2 children. My husband is the Delta AmEx Gold card holder, but he is on one reservation by himself (paid for with a different credit card). My understanding is that he should automatically get the free bag when he checks in online. How do those of us on a different reservation (but same exact flights) get the free bags? At the airport? What do we need to do/show to get them?
Go to the full service check-in line at the airport and check in all together. The agent should waive the first bag fee for the rest of you when he/she sees your husbands AMEX card in his reservation.
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Hi. I also have a question on the delta free bag via amex. I have the 20k AMEX points promotion on amex offers for $1k spend on klm.us or airfrance.us using my AMEX PLAT. However also have my amex delta gold card.

Through either website my preferred ticket is:

Outbound - Virgin Atlantic Metal (KLM Marketed)
Inbound - Delta Metal (KLM Marketed)

My understanding is that:
- I do not need to use my gold delta card, delta will see it on my profile and provide the benefit if Delta Metal or Delta Marketed.
- My outbound Virgin Atlantic flight is KLM marketed because I am purchasing through KLM - so I will have to pay for my bags / No bag benefit.
- Inbound as it is Delta Metal (although KLM Marketed) - i will get free 1st checked bag for all 3 passengers as one passenger has delta amex in their profile even though we are paying with amex platinum

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: