FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1924438-delta-amex-first-checked-bag-free-consolidated-thread.html)

r m a h Aug 11, 2016 4:09 pm

baggage fees when someone else buys your ticket with his amex delta gold card

i bought my mom a delta ticket using my delta amex gold card. the receipt indicated it was for ~her~ ticket and even included her delta ticket number. i was told that since the ticket was purchased with my delta amex gold card that she would not have to pay baggage fees.

her flight (mco - pit) was today and they made her pay baggage fees. my mom had all my amex account info AND a digital copy AND a paper copy of the screen shot of the receipt with her name and ticket number. this receipt even said, directly below her name "don't forget, you can check your first bag for free!"

NB i was not with my mom. she was solo.

was my dear mom wronged??

thanks!
cb

live5 Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus (Post 27051177)
i bought my mom a delta ticket using my delta amex gold card. the receipt indicated it was for ~her~ ticket and even included her delta ticket number. i was told that since the ticket was purchased with my delta amex gold card that she would not have to pay baggage fees.

her flight (mco - pit) was today and they made her pay baggage fees. my mom had all my amex account info AND a digital copy AND a paper copy of the screen shot of the receipt with her name and ticket number. this receipt even said, directly below her name "don't forget, you can check your first bag for free!"

thanks!
cb

I once bought my sister a flight for this very purpose but, as I was not traveling with her, they charged her baggage fees. You have to be traveling on the reservation to get the benefit for the group.

Xeno Aug 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by live5 (Post 27051409)
I once bought my sister a flight for this very purpose but, as I was not traveling with her, they charged her baggage fees. You have to be traveling on the reservation to get the benefit for the group.

Similar case here with my PL AMEX and my SO had to pay baggage fees.

Widgets Aug 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Free bag is for the primary cardholder's personal travel, and up to 8 companions on an identical itinerary. Sorry to break the bad news. I think this requirement is the first sentence in the long terms and conditions for the card advertisement.

This can be more confusing since other airlines have different requirements. For example, you must pay for the ticket with their card on United, but you don't have to pay for your Delta ticket using the AMEX.

For Delta, all that's needed for the bag waiver is to have the SkyMiles number that's printed on your credit card to be in your reservation. If you have additional questions, I think there might be some other threads here with thorough details, or I can answer them here.

jerry a. laska Aug 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus (Post 27051177)

thanks!
cb

No. As noted above this is for the cardholder and persons traveling on the same reservation as the cardholder. From the terms and conditions:

First Checked Bag Free - Medium
Benefit is limited to Basic Card Members (not Additional Card Members) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Card Member's SkyMiles number. Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Card Member. Maximum nine waivers per reservation. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Credit Card product will be eligible for the checked baggage fee waiver benefit after receiving their Card from American Express. The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta's applicable rules as set forth in Delta's contract of carriage. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. See delta.com/firstbagfree for details.

mspreh Aug 12, 2016 4:50 am

Since no-one mentioned this, I will chime in. Buying the ticket with the card has nothing to do with the free baggage.

You don't have to buy your ticket with the card to get the free checked bag, nor does anyone you are traveling with on the same PNR. It's only about you as the primary card holder traveling, and those traveling with you on the same PNR. You can buy the vacation with AMEX Points, Delta Sky Pesos, on a VISA card, Chase Ultimate Rewards, doesn't matter as long as the primary card holder is traveling on the same PNR everyone (up to the limit) with that primary card holder will get 1 checked bag for free.

Widgets Aug 12, 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mspreh (Post 27053283)
Since no-one mentioned this, I will chime in. Buying the ticket with the card has nothing to do with the free baggage.

You don't have to buy your ticket with the card to get the free checked bag...

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27051521)
you don't have to pay for your Delta ticket using the AMEX.

Originally Posted by mspreh (Post 27053283)
and those traveling with you on the same PNR

Being on the same PNR makes the bag waiver automatic. Up to 8 companions can be on a separate PNR as long as the flight itinerary is identical, to the same final destination. In a separate PNR, the bag waiver has to be done manually at bag drop.

mspreh Aug 12, 2016 7:32 am

sorry @Widgets

I missed that spot where you did mention it

r m a h Aug 12, 2016 8:21 am

thanks for all the info. after all my mom's done for me, i was hoping to save her $50 (one checked bag, round trip). once again, i've failed as a son! ha

appreciated,
cb!

odin99 Mar 7, 2017 11:14 pm

sorry to revive an old thread but a related question.

I'm booking a reward ticket for two of my friends with my points on one ticket (i'm not flying). Friend 1 has the amex delta gold card (so do i, but i think that is irrelevant). I used her FFlyer number in the booking. She should get a free bag, right? what about Friend 2 since he's on the same ticket as Friend 1? (Friend 2 doesn't have the delta card).

Widgets Mar 7, 2017 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by odin99 (Post 28007007)
sorry to revive an old thread but a related question.

I'm booking a reward ticket for two of my friends with my points on one ticket (i'm not flying). Friend 1 has the amex delta gold card (so do i, but i think that is irrelevant). I used her FFlyer number in the booking. She should get a free bag, right? what about Friend 2 since he's on the same ticket as Friend 1? (Friend 2 doesn't have the delta card).

They will have a free bag if Friend 1 has her SM number in the reservation.

OHDL1 Mar 8, 2017 8:14 am

Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus (Post 27053996)
thanks for all the info. after all my mom's done for me, i was hoping to save her $50 (one checked bag, round trip). once again, i've failed as a son! ha

appreciated,
cb!

Well...kinda sorry to continue this old thread....but, you can prepay for the bags if someone else is flying and they won't have to pay at checkin/bag drop.

Yura Makarov Oct 8, 2017 11:01 am

Free check-in bags with Medallion Status + AMEX Delta Platinum

How many free bags I should have with Gold Medallion Status and AMEX Platinum Card?
Gold Medallion gives you 2 and Amex card 1 free bags. Do they combine?
For some reason Delta gives me to check-in free only 2 bags and charges for 3rd. But my friend with the same Gold Medallion Status and the same AMEX card gets 3 free bags.

Is there anything I should do to get 3rd bad free?

xliioper Oct 8, 2017 11:15 am

Amex Platinum card does not give you any baggage allowance. Do you mean the Delta Skymiles Platinum American Express card? This is nominally only a first bag free benefit and not a +1 benefit. There is an exception for Silver Medallions who get two free bags free on domestic flights with the card, but Gold's and higher do not get any additional allowance with the card above their normal allowances.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html

"Silver Medallions who hold a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will receive a second bag free (up to two free bags at 70 pounds or 32KG each) for travel within the U.S. and Canada."

Grogs Oct 8, 2017 11:34 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28907579)
Amex Platinum card does not give you any baggage allowance. Do you mean the Delta Skymiles Platinum American Express card? This is nominally only a first bag free benefit and not a +1 benefit. There is an exception for Silver Medallions who get two free bags free on domestic flights with the card, but Gold's and higher do not get any additional allowance with the card above their normal allowances.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html

"Silver Medallions who hold a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will receive a second bag free (up to two free bags at 70 pounds or 32KG each) for travel within the U.S. and Canada."

Wow, nice to see an acknowledgement that we actually exist.