Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you force longer stay over when booking award flight? Or help booking this...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you force longer stay over when booking award flight? Or help booking this...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I want to book PSC to SNA with a connection in SEA. Would like to depart 10/20.

When I used Delta's web tool to search for flights (one way) it doesn't offer me an option for the early 6am flight (DL 5688) out of PSC and the late flight out of SEA to SNA (DL 5778). Instead it offers me six flights, two of which connect via SLC and two of which have 2 stops, so that rules out 4 of them.

Option 1: A 1pm departure (DL 5696) from PSC, ~1Hr connection in SEA, and 3:20pm departure to SNA (DL 5778) for 22,000 miles.

Option 2: A 6am departure from PSC (DL 5688) with a less then 1 hour connection in SEA, and a 7:50am departure to SNA (DL5763) for 26,000 miles.

What I want to do is take that early AM flight out of PSC (6am DL5688) hang out in SEA for awhile (hit Pike Place for a nice breakfast, etc) and then take the later flight out of SEA on to SNA (3:20pm DL 5778).

Now my issue is booking this for the fewest miles required. When I look at award options JUST for SEA to SNA, DL 5763 and DL 5778, the early and late flight are both 17,500 miles. It's only the flight out of PSC that's different, the early flight is about 5,500 miles more. That kinda explains the difference above between 22,000 miles and 26,000 miles. However, if I try to book each segment as it's own one way, then the total comes out to 34,000 miles (16,500 for 6am DL 5688 out of PSC and 17,500 for 3:20pm DL 5778 out of SEA). Is there a way I can book those two flights as "one flight" with the long connection in SEA and save some miles? (For reference, if I try to book option 1 as shown above as two separate one way flights, it's 28,500 miles NOT 22,000 miles, so there does seem to be some cost savings booking one flight vs two separate ones...)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by acarney
What I want to do is take that early AM flight out of PSC (6am DL5688) hang out in SEA for awhile (hit Pike Place for a nice breakfast, etc) and then take the later flight out of SEA on to SNA (3:20pm DL 5778).
Domestic connections can't be longer than four hours. What you propose is actually two awards.

With married segment availability constructing own routings aaa-bbb + bbb-ccc is fraught with problems.

See this Wiki for an award booking overview: Booking Delta Award Tickets, 2015 on
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Dang! I didn't know about that connection limit! Shoot... I really wanted to make use of some time in SEA, lol
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
book the 1pm and SDC/SDS to the morning flight
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
book the 1pm and SDC/SDS to the morning flight
Can I do that on an award F ticket without paying a fee? (I believe it books into R) I don't have status with Delta...

(This certainly could be an option for me since the most important is landing late in the day [will be at the Disney hotel, don't really care to hang around during the day and won't be paying for half a day in the park] and don't have firm plans in SEA but wouldn't mind extra time if I could get it)

Also, side question, does anyone know if PSC-SNA (via SEA) or even just SEA-SNA is bookable via Virgin Atlantic miles/points or whatever? I feel like I've read before that Virgin Atlantic can be used somehow to book domestic Delta award flights and right now Amex has a 30% bonus transfer to Virgin Atlantic... I'll be transferring MR points anyway (to Delta) for this award, so if I can make them stretch a little more by Virgin Atlantic and then booking Delta I wouldn't mind that :P
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
$75 for non-status SDC, but of course the advantage to being in F is that you won't need specific inventory, just an available seat
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
$75 for non-status SDC, but of course the advantage to being in F is that you won't need specific inventory, just an available seat
Hmm... $75 almost makes it worth booking two separate one way flights or using miles for the PSC to SEA one and paying cash for the SEA to SNA or something...

You mentioned issues with booking two separate flights... what are some of those? If it isn't wise to check bags through on something like that I could always pick them up and then have eCarte or whatever at SEA hold the bags, I think I've done that before for ~$12 or something for same day hold/pickup. I would have to check them again and everything but Delta's F checkin at SEA seems pretty swift... are there any other major issues with doing this? Could I have Delta check bags all the way through even if they're two separate tickets with a long lay over... or does that really increase the chances of bags being lost?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Note the agent may and is in rights to refuse SDC as suggested above. As it no longer would be a valid connection (under 4hrs) you technically aren't eligible to SDC to the morning flight and keep the later .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.