Search

Can I/How to remove RFID baggage tag?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Nah, I prefer Ctrl-Z

Nerd humor
You mean nerd Windoz humor :-) For everyone else it is Cmd-Z.

For the OP as said a hair drier and a plastic edge like and old delta medallion card.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Aug 10, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As has been speculated by forum users, they're attached to any bag DL receives that doesn't have an RFID bag tag. Also if the RFID bag tag gets damaged they'll place one.
FTFY

My bags have never had an RFID tag attached (on DL anyway).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
FTFY

My bags have never had an RFID tag attached (on DL anyway).
All DL bag tags have one. It's in the actual bag tag. Usually when DL gets a bag with anon-rfid tag it simply put the rfid sticker over part of the existing tag. However some handlers slap it on the side of the bag like HKIA does.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
All DL bag tags have one. It's in the actual bag tag. Usually when DL gets a bag with anon-rfid tag it simply put the rfid sticker over part of the existing tag. However some handlers slap it on the side of the bag like HKIA does.
I've never seen one on one of my bags. Trust me, I would notice, and I still have a tag from last week. I used to manage baggage systems globally for another of the US3. We toyed with RFID tags back then, but they were too expensive at $.09. Also the infrastructure (perhaps a bigger cost) was only in place at two airports I can think of: HKG and LAS. I suspect the infrastructure has come along, but it would make more sense to scan a bag into a bin or a cart instead of outfitting every bag with a non-reusable tag.

Maybe they're applying these at certain stations, but it doesn't appear to be system wide.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've never seen one on one of my bags. Trust me, I would notice, and I still have a tag from last week. I used to manage baggage systems globally for another of the US3. We toyed with RFID tags back then, but they were too expensive at $.09. Also the infrastructure (perhaps a bigger cost) was only in place at two airports I can think of: HKG and LAS. I suspect the infrastructure has come along, but it would make more sense to scan a bag into a bin or a cart instead of outfitting every bag with a non-reusable tag.

Maybe they're applying these at certain stations, but it doesn't appear to be system wide.
I have no idea how widespread it is, but I thought it was pretty common.

https://news.delta.com/iata-follows-...ag-tag-mandate

"The cost of an individual RFID-inlayed bag tag is estimated at US 3-5 cents apiece"

https://www.google.com/search?q=delta+rfid+tags
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

The RFID tag is between the two sides of paper. Unless you tear it apart you won't see it. All tags issued by DL have it embedded in the bag tag.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
More common than you know perhaps. They are the standard label stock here at my small station (ILM).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak

"The cost of an individual RFID-inlayed bag tag is estimated at US 3-5 cents apiece"

I guess it is common (if ILM is using it!), I just haven't run into it yet. I don't check my bag domestically, and my last trip started on AF, so it's possible they just never (re)tagged my bag en route.

Even at 3 cents a piece (I'll assume they get a discount for their volume), DL probably checks a half million or so bags per day. It adds up.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Unless the check-in is operated by another airline like AF and KL out of CDG/AMS, I believe DL is using them on international stations as well.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Unless the check-in is operated by another airline like AF and KL out of CDG/AMS, I believe DL is using them on international stations as well.
Yep. April last year or possibly 2016, I believe was when they went live with all DL issued bag tags having RFID.

The RFID chip tag, for when bags come in without one embedded in bag tag can be hit or miss. However normally a RFID chip tag is applied once DL gets possession of bag. Most times to the actual bag tag, but sometimes on the actual bag.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak

The RFID tag is between the two sides of paper. Unless you tear it apart you won't see it. All tags issued by DL have it embedded in the bag tag.
+2

Every bag I've checked in at least the past year that originated with DL had an RFID tag. You can usually see or feel the antenna when you rip the tag off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.