Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW - ATH where to connect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

DTW - ATH where to connect?

I'm planning a trip to Greece from DTW and was looking for advice on where in Europe to make my connection, AMS or CDG? Time wise they're about the same so just looking for which one is the easiest to connect through, plan on flying Comfort Plus or Premium Select.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:04 am

Just one of numerous threads on this topic:
Go through CDG or AMS?
ltp711 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AMS for sure, not CDG.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Although I wouldn't do it, OP could also route DTW-JFK-ATH. My only experience on the route was horrible - flight was packed with families, screamng children, etc. (Think of it as a very long MCO flight) I thought that I was just unlucky, but a DL FA friend based at JFK does JFK-ATH-JFK frequently and confirms that this is normal for the route.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
A bit off topic, but there are regular sales of J to ATH from DC. I've done the trip for $2200 r/t in J. The real benefit for me was booking on the partner and getting an increased number or RDM and MQD compared to a similar flight on DL.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Although I wouldn't do it, OP could also route DTW-JFK-ATH. My only experience on the route was horrible - flight was packed with families, screamng children, etc. (Think of it as a very long MCO flight) I thought that I was just unlucky, but a DL FA friend based at JFK does JFK-ATH-JFK frequently and confirms that this is normal for the route.
Minus the screaming children I like that option since it gives you a slightly longer and later TATL section, which allows you to sleep more/later in the journey. Again, assuming the screaming children don't keep you up
For the return I'd go over AMS
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by mayhem
Minus the screaming children I like that option since it gives you a slightly longer and later TATL section, which allows you to sleep more/later in the journey. Again, assuming the screaming children don't keep you up
I’d agree with this. Where a connection is required, I’d prefer the longest leg to be the last one so you’re not dealing with a connection after a long flight. This, of course, wasn’t possible when I lived near an outstation (where the first/last legs were always to/from ATL), but now that I fly out of DTW, it is.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mayhem
The flights to AMS and CDG leave at 8:30pm and 9:00pm respectively, I'd rather get on the plane after filling up on turkey and stuffing at Zingerman's and not worry about connecting until morning. My plan coming back is to do a day and a half layover in Rome and then FCO-DTW, I'm doing this trip in May.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Another vote for AMS over CDG. Much more efficient
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I believe the only option for PS is AMS at the moment. Don't think there are any A359 or refurbed 777s going to CDG so if you are buying PS that's the only option
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I normally prefer connecting in Europe for a lot of connections. However this one, JFK wins hands down. Short up/down flight between DTW/JFK and then long haul widebody rest of the way. If do CDG/AMS then you have a short TATL followed by medium range narrow body with Euro "J" seating to/from ATH. Much more comfortable flights connecting in JFK. For Y the A330 is much more comfortable then the A321 AF, or 737 KLM is going to fly and nonstop. If OP insists on Euro connection, AMS is the easier IME.
strickerj and Delta Dude like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 9, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
EWR-ATH with EK?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
EWR-ATH with EK?
If OP was flying out of NYC might be useful. However OP is flying out of DTW.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:14 pm

+1 on AMS it's really no contest IMHO.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If OP was flying out of NYC might be useful. However OP is flying out of DTW.
​​​​​​Yeah with a connection obviously. Just throwing out out as an ootiop, single longer flight vs a medium long and a medium short one (and the shorter one within Europe would be a narrow body, if traveling J EK would arguably be better, but no miles on any US airlines (except B6)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.