Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW - ATH where to connect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​Yeah with a connection obviously. Just throwing out out as an ootiop, single longer flight vs a medium long and a medium short one (and the shorter one within Europe would be a narrow body, if traveling J EK would arguably be better, but no miles on any US airlines (except B6)
It's still two flights to do the EK option via EWR (even if one is fairly short) and likely on two different tickets (DTW-EWR on DL or UA) and then EK on EWR-ATH, bringing in other risks and inconveniences (such as having to claim and recheck luggage for the second leg)..

Also, AS is a partner with EK.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It's still two flights to do the EK option via EWR (even if one is fairly short) and likely on two different tickets (DTW-EWR on DL or UA) and then EK on EWR-ATH, bringing in other risks and inconveniences (such as having to claim and recheck luggage for the second leg)..

Also, AS is a partner with EK.
Might be possible on a single ticket with B6
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
If those are the only two choices, I'd vote for AMS over CDG any day of the week.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Looking forward to taking advantage of our cleared GUCs on BNA-JFK-ATH and back next week. Have flown that route before and didn’t have the same issue with kids, etc. thankfully.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
AMS is easier and they have pour your own Heineken at the lounge.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by strickerj

I’d agree with this. Where a connection is required, I’d prefer the longest leg to be the last one so you’re not dealing with a connection after a long flight. This, of course, wasn’t possible when I lived near an outstation (where the first/last legs were always to/from ATL), but now that I fly out of DTW, it is.
I tend the other way.. get closer to your destination as soon as possible where there tends to be more options for connections in the event of IRROPS. The only counterpoint to this is that it is JFK which is a massive TALT hub so it may be okay in this case.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by No_Name
AMS is easier and they have pour your own Heineken at the lounge.
For lounges I would take CDG for the way home over AMS. I think the CDG non-Schengen lounges are way better than the Crown Lounge at AMS (Crown Lounge for US flights is a dump IMO).

Especially if you happen to depart from 2E-L at CDG. Just had a chance to visit the new 2E-L lounge on Monday and it was very nice. No the 2E-M lounge isn't quite as nice (had the pleasure of that one this week too coming home) but free pour Taittinger is a nice addition if champagne is your thing.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I fly to ATH once/year on Sky Team
After 10 years of doing this, I will not fly through JFK. IMO, it's worse than CDG
Flew threw CDG a couple of weeks ago, no problems
Have done AMS with no issues
There is the direct DL flight to FCO that leaves DTW around 6:30 pm which is a good A330 product. Not sure if you can get into ATH from FCO at a time or price you need
ltp711 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeye91
I fly to ATH once/year on Sky Team
After 10 years of doing this, I will not fly through JFK. IMO, it's worse than CDG
Flew threw CDG a couple of weeks ago, no problems
Have done AMS with no issues
There is the direct DL flight to FCO that leaves DTW around 6:30 pm which is a good A330 product. Not sure if you can get into ATH from FCO at a time or price you need
I'll be coming home via FCO, the plan is to spend a day or two in Rome after my time in Greece.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 6 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
In my experience, I would do anything to avoid CDG.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.