Basic Economy Seat assignments

Old Aug 9, 18, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Basic Economy Seat assignments

Hi,

I bought basic economy tickets, and I will be checking into my flight this evening. I would like to be able to pick seats, as I have read that some people have been able to within 24 hours of checkin.

Would it be best to go through the “checkin” option? Will the seat map be available for me to pick from? Or should I go through the “my trips” option and select seats? Right now, I can select seats for $30pp through my trips. Would that cost be $0 at 24 hours?

I’m looking for recent experiences with the checkin process. Is a seat map always available during checkin when there are economy seats open? Right now, there are at least 20.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Gold
I fly basic economy all the time and it's hit or miss for whether I'll be able to choose a seat at check-in. Generally my flights aren't long enough to worry about a middle seat being bad, 1-1.5 hrs.

If all of the standard economy seats are taken ,and only preferred seats are left, do a dummy booking to check, then you won't be able to pick a seat at all. You'll be given a boarding pass with seat assignment at gate. In general I don't mind this, as I'll either get an exit row seat or closer to the front of the plane, which I like.

Other times I've been upgraded on a BE ticket when I checked in <an hour before take off because all of the economy seats were assigned. But I've also been given a seat in the back of an MD88, with no view and loud AF engines. It's a bit of a gamble. But for my short regional flights in the South East it's worth it to not pay extra.

I'd advise against paying to get a specific seat unless you have a long flight or short connection.
NUgirl80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As OP has not provided us the routing, it is hard to tell what $30 means. E.g., is this ATL-LAX or ATL-MCO?

But, only OP can determine what $30 means to him. If stuck in a middle seat near the lav on a TCON flight, $30 seems a pittance. But, that is me.
NUgirl80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:44 am
Original Poster

To clarify, I booked four tickets, so $30pp on a round trip is $240 for just seats. It’s not worth it to me. It’s Chicago-Seattle.

20+ regular seats as of right now showing as available, and I can check in in 10 hours. Based on those with experience with basic economy, will I be able to pick seats, if those seats remain at check in? Are seat maps always available to pick from if there are available seats? Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by NUgirl80 View Post
To clarify, I booked four tickets, so $30pp on a round trip is $240 for just seats. It’s not worth it to me. It’s Chicago-Seattle.

20+ regular seats as of right now showing as available, and I can check in in 10 hours. Based on those with experience with basic economy, will I be able to pick seats, if those seats remain at check in? Are seat maps always available to pick from if there are available seats? Thanks!
I haven't been able to find rhyme or reason as to when I'll get a seat assignment or an at gate message. Obviously if there are no non-premium seats available, you don't get one, but on a flight with ~15 seats, I didn't get assignment (MD 88), whereas as ~10 and I did (MD 90), or 4 on a CRJ and I got an assignment.
If you get an assignment, you can freely change it to non premium seats. However, if you don't get an assignment, then you can't pick seats at all even if 15 seats open up.

I also don't think that it'll go through if you try to buy an upgrade to a premium seat now.
NUgirl80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njf1003 View Post
I haven't been able to find rhyme or reason as to when I'll get a seat assignment or an at gate message. Obviously if there are no non-premium seats available, you don't get one, but on a flight with ~15 seats, I didn't get assignment (MD 88), whereas as ~10 and I did (MD 90), or 4 on a CRJ and I got an assignment.
If you get an assignment, you can freely change it to non premium seats. However, if you don't get an assignment, then you can't pick seats at all even if 15 seats open up.

I also don't think that it'll go through if you try to buy an upgrade to a premium seat now.
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Is there never a seat map then to choose from? You have to just check in and then get a random seat assignment? Thanks again!!!
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:23 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
If you get assigned a seat at check-in, you'll have access to the seatmap. If you don't, you won't have access to the seatmap and you'll be added to a confirmed standby list and likely will not be assigned a seat until they clear the list at the gate. It doesn't matter how many seats appear "open" on the seatmap when trying to book it. Simply looking at the number of open seats doesn't tell you everything as you really also need to know the number of fellow Basic Economy passengers to guess at your chances and that's an unknown. I suspect you can increase your chances of getting a seat by checking in right at the 24-hour mark and try to beat the other Basic Economy passengers, but I don't have any real personal experience.
NUgirl80 likes this.

Last edited by LBJ; Aug 9, 18 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by NUgirl80 View Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Is there never a seat map then to choose from? You have to just check in and then get a random seat assignment? Thanks again!!!
You check in and might get a random seat assignment automatically, then you can change it if there's anything open.
If you don't get an assignment, you can view the map, but if you try to select, you get an error saying a seat can't be assigned because one or more passengers on the reservation are on the standby list.
NUgirl80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njf1003 View Post
You check in and might get a random seat assignment automatically, then you can change it if there's anything open.
If you don't get an assignment, you can view the map, but if you try to select, you get an error saying a seat can't be assigned because one or more passengers on the reservation are on the standby list.
thanks! That’s exactly the info I was looking for. I really appreciate it! I will first try in “my trips” to see if the price goes to $0 right at 24 hours. If not, I’ll check in right away and hope for the best.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Just to give an update on what happened and let people who purchase basic economy know what to expect.

When you go within 24 hours of check in to “MY TRIPS”, the option to purchase your seats for a fee disappears, and you are not charged for seats. I was able to get all our seats together.

If you check in first, then you are allowing delta to assign them for you or risk not getting any seats and having to wait until getting to the gate to get seats.

So its it’s best to go to “my trips” and select your seats before checking in right at 24 hours (if regular seats are available).
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:06 pm

For BE I always check in at exactly T-24 and i always get decent seats, usually preferred seats together.
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Further to basic economy ticket purchases, if your flight schedule changes, and you miss a connection or it is greater than an hour, 1) will they allow you to change flights at no extra charge? and 2) if you change your flights, will it still be in E class? Additionally 3) if flight is overbooked and you volunteer, do they still put you on E on your replacement flight?

My first basic economy is coming up on Tuesday, LAX to DFW
Old Aug 17, 18, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by manually View Post
Further to basic economy ticket purchases, if your flight schedule changes, and you miss a connection or it is greater than an hour, 1) will they allow you to change flights at no extra charge? and 2) if you change your flights, will it still be in E class? Additionally 3) if flight is overbooked and you volunteer, do they still put you on E on your replacement flight?

My first basic economy is coming up on Tuesday, LAX to DFW
When I missed a connection, I was rebooked into a different airport on a delayed flight that was already past its departure and my ticket said Main Cabin Y.