Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling for work, and I got booked into a terrible Basic Economy flight. I could pay $76 to get out of it, but I'm already pissed.

What experiences (for those with elite status) do you have with Basic Economy in terms of the seats that you ultimately get? If there are empty exit row preferred seats within 24 hrs of check-in, will I be able to select that?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Make sure you pick your seat within 24 and before you actually check in. You can pick any non-preferred seat that is still open (so no exit row).
Then go to the gate, and if you get a friendly agent, they can move you to some other open seat if they want to. I've only had BE twice, and got a Comfort+ window seat each time by asking the agent.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by scottsinct
Make sure you pick your seat within 24 and before you actually check in. You can pick any non-preferred seat that is still open (so no exit row).
Then go to the gate, and if you get a friendly agent, they can move you to some other open seat if they want to. I've only had BE twice, and got a Comfort+ window seat each time by asking the agent.
Note that you are not always given a seat when you check in. (even at T-24) I’m not sure if you can select preferred seats if you are given a seat assignment at check in but if you can’t, I’m sure you can find an agent who will do it no problem. From what I have seen (I’ve never bought BE before) DL is more generous to BE pax than AA or UA. I’ve heard of a story on UA where a pax was on BE and was given a middle seat on a wide open flight and UA gate agent refused to move the pax to the several open regular aisle window seats left.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL does not guarantee seat assignment at check in. Only that a seat assignment may occur as early as check-in.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Often1
DL does not guarantee seat assignment at check in. Only that a seat assignment may occur as early as check-in.
If there's an open non-preferred seat within 24 hours, it can be reserved before checkin.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
From what I have seen (I’ve never bought BE before) DL is more generous to BE pax than AA or UA.
I believe AA will let BE pax purchase seat assignments starting at T-72h, including Main Cabin Extra (legroom) seats. I don't think elite status provides any particular benefits though.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:20 pm

But the question here is why would an Elite save a few $$$$ and may not get their benefits? Basic Economy is really for infrequent fliers who don't care about checking their bags or where they seat.

I along with the many frequent fliers will pay up to avoid Basic Economy and will even go as far as to book Comfort+ at the time of booking. With the Delta Gold Card at $99 per year its a no brainer that covers up to 8 traveling companions on one ticket. For me I would save the $25 each way bag fee and use the savings to avoid Basic Economy.

Let the infrequent fliers suffer the consequences and have them complain. Us educated frequent flier FT members should try and steer clear of Basic Economy unless its a short SFO/SJC-LAX flight and even then who wants to be put in the back of the bus?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by scottsinct
If there's an open non-preferred seat within 24 hours, it can be reserved before checkin.
But for me who wants to take the gamble of maybe or maybe not getting the Preferred seat. I find its best to pay a bit more to be able to get my preferred seat. Also on international flights you would add the cost to check luggage and I would rather prepay for my luggage by purchasing the fare that includes checked bags.

I feel Basic Economy is for those who don't pack a lot. For me I figure the cost of Basic Economy does not work well because I like to check my bags in especially on long hauls.

YMMV on your personal situation but really is Basic Economy going to make your life any easier?

On a side note boarding last is just a polite way of saying "Thanks for flying Delta but perhaps next time you should pay a bit more to get better seating". Its sort of like advertising for Delta's premium products like Comfort Plus.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by danielonn
But for me who wants to take the gamble of maybe or maybe not getting the Preferred seat. I find its best to pay a bit more to be able to get my preferred seat. Also on international flights you would add the cost to check luggage and I would rather prepay for my luggage by purchasing the fare that includes checked bags.

I feel Basic Economy is for those who don't pack a lot. For me I figure the cost of Basic Economy does not work well because I like to check my bags in especially on long hauls.

YMMV on your personal situation but really is Basic Economy going to make your life any easier?

On a side note boarding last is just a polite way of saying "Thanks for flying Delta but perhaps next time you should pay a bit more to get better seating". Its sort of like advertising for Delta's premium products like Comfort Plus.
The problem is when the cost to "upgrade" from BE to MC is $50+ dollars for a short flight. I recently tried to buy a ticket from LAX-SFO about 3-4 weeks in advance. The total cost was maybe $170-180 r/t in BE. The fee to "upgrade" to MC was $45 each way -- in other words, the ticket would now cost $260-$270 for a 50-minute flight. At one point, the tickets were over $300 (including the added "upgrade" fee to MC). I basically gave up and started flying AS/VX because I'd rather spend $90 on a nice dinner or on something else. With AS/VX, I can at least confirm my seat and then move up to the front part of the cabin during OLCI. The cost on AS/VX was $150-$160 r/t.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
But the question here is why would an Elite save a few $$$$ and may not get their benefits? Basic Economy is really for infrequent fliers who don't care about checking their bags or where they seat.
...because they want to save the $$$$? Lots of fliers (frequent or otherwise) don't care one bit about checking bags or about picking a seat.

Why do people get worked up about the choices other people make and try to figure out why they like one thing more than another thing?
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:47 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
But for me who wants to take the gamble of maybe or maybe not getting the Preferred seat. I find its best to pay a bit more to be able to get my preferred seat.
Then do that.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
The problem is when the cost to "upgrade" from BE to MC is $50+ dollars for a short flight. I recently tried to buy a ticket from LAX-SFO about 3-4 weeks in advance. The total cost was maybe $170-180 r/t in BE. The fee to "upgrade" to MC was $45 each way -- in other words, the ticket would now cost $260-$270 for a 50-minute flight. At one point, the tickets were over $300 (including the added "upgrade" fee to MC). I basically gave up and started flying AS/VX because I'd rather spend $90 on a nice dinner or on something else. With AS/VX, I can at least confirm my seat and then move up to the front part of the cabin during OLCI. The cost on AS/VX was $150-$160 r/t.
This is the beauty of competition. I too love VX/AS and will miss Virgin America but I love Alaska. Their Premium Economy with the inclusion of an alcoholic beverages puts it up there with Delta Comfort+. I have nothing against Delta but would rather avoid Southwest unless I really have to.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Then do that.
Indeed I do(:
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL; SPG; Marriott
Delta actually imposes fewer restrictions on its basic economy fares than AA or UA. If you are a Medallion on Delta, you still receive the priority boarding zone and the free checked baggage allowance associated with your Medallion tier. You also still receive a free checked bag with a Delta AmEx Card, even if you don’t have Medallion status. I’m not sure whether you still receive Zone 1 boarding with a Delta AmEx Card and no Medallion status. I try to avoid flying on AA and UA, and don’t have status on either, but I believe they have no free baggage allowance on their basic economy fares, even for elites.

As a GM flying primarily nonstop flights out of NYC to other airports in the Northeast, I will only book a basic economy fare if I’m flying on my own dime and the flight is being operated with a CRJ-200. I could care less about an upgrade to “comfort+” in the first row of a CRJ-200, so on this aircraft, and this aircraft alone, there isn’t really a downside to booking a basic economy fare as a Medallion so long as you’re not looking to SDC or SDS.

In my experience, whether you receive a seat assignment at check-in on a basic economy fare or don’t receive one until the GA clears the standby list shortly before departure depends on the load of the flight. On full, or close to full flights, you won’t receive a seat until the GA clears the standby list. On more lightly loaded flights, you will typically receive a seat assignment at check-in. In both these situations, though, I’ve always ended up in preferred seats on a CRJ-200 without having to ask the GA to put me in one. When your seat is assigned by the GA, I believe this happens because the vast majority of people on basic economy fares don’t have status, so when the GA clears the standby list, Medallions on basic economy fares clear into open preferred seats before non-status passengers further down the standby list. Then again, maybe I’ve just been lucky, or as “lucky” as I can be flying on a CRJ-200.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:12 pm

This was the reasoning given for the implementation of basic evening as well as to offer competition to lie cost carriers, but the actual reality of basic economy is that it is implemented across nearly all markets, regardless of competition, and the old main cabin price that was usually pretty close to competitor fares is now the new basic economy price. There is now a premium to be in main cabin .

​​Basic economy hurt frequent flyers. The fares were basically raised for any frequent flyer that wants to use any of their benefits or a shot at "gambling" for an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.