Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles finds ways to get worse! 65000 miles to upgrade to Premium Economy !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles finds ways to get worse! 65000 miles to upgrade to Premium Economy !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

and another perfect example of why it makes absolutely no sense to be loyal to an airline. loyalty has lost most of its glamour. i will say DL is my favorite airline when traveling (domestic or international) of the US 3 but i simply book what works best for me. i used to try to bend over backwards to make it work on DL to retain status but after a while i realized how absurd it was. just book what works for you and stop trying to stick with one airline
gooselee and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I dunno, $1800 for a nonstop in PE to Japan doesn't seem too bad. .

It's not great for one-way. I guess using the math of this one way offer it would be $2400 r/t for PE. That's not an especially good deal by any measure though I would think it is a rather average fare for r/t intl PE. That being said, at least on other carriers it is possible to find r/t PE in advance for $1k r/t.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
DL proves over and over that an airline delivering quality products and services doesn't need much of an FF program. I would rather fly D1 over-ocean than any other US carrier, but I gave up SkyMiles years ago and would not cross the street to earn them. Having said that...
I don't disagree that the awards programs are likely overrated to an extent (in terms of bottom line impact) due to hub captivity of many travelers - but are you implying Delta provides a noticeably superior product relative to the other US carriers? Because while they may be slightly better in some areas, let's not pretend they are head and shoulders above others.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The current iteration of the program is for someone buying the revenue ticket with OPM then not knowing how to value DL miles and willing to pay any amount to sit in a premium seat. It represents terrible value relative to other ticket options, but most people who redeem these now don't have other options - and DL knows it and charges a premium.
I prefer to call Delta entire mileage upgrade pricing a “stupid tax”. Nobody puts a gun to a flyer’s head, and says “Pay!”

I redeemed three rt biz-class awards of SAN-SEA-HKG at 160k miles a pop. The “value” was only 2.5 cpm. Not great, but way better than any upgrade award.

(By the way, I took the wide-open “low” availability as a sign that Delta could not sell SEA-HKG at a profitable fare. We know what happened next.

If one cannot find reasonable flight redemption options, one can always buy premium drinks in the Skyclub at 2 cpm.

Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pvn
Did you check what United was asking for an upgrade from coach to PE?
Given that United wanted 70,000 miles for an "upgrade" from not flying to J, coach to PE would have to be a small fraction of that.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Given that United wanted 70,000 miles for an "upgrade" from not flying to J, coach to PE would have to be a small fraction of that.
Well, I would think so too but I'd like to know what they actually charge.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
United doesn't have an equivalent PE so the comparison can't be made. As an international flyer I am disappointed in DL giving up on C+ whilst replacing it with a product (PS) that is nice but that they dramatically over-value (at least for now). Since UA and AA will both still have 'extra space' economy seats on these routes, I think DL is going to lose a slice of its customer base.

OP has found out how DL is treating it's FF members, it's gone to a total $$ based program essentially, there is no certainty, and while there can be OK deals there can also be offers which are downright insulting.

If FF programs are what you care about, DL is not the right airline for you. They've made that crystal clear.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It's not great for one-way. I guess using the math of this one way offer it would be $2400 r/t for PE. That's not an especially good deal by any measure though I would think it is a rather average fare for r/t intl PE. That being said, at least on other carriers it is possible to find r/t PE in advance for $1k r/t.
Good point. I forgot to factor in that it was just a 1 way UG.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:30 pm

Rather than saying no upgrade availability like United does almost everywhere, they offered you the cash buy up price at $0.01 / mile . . .
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bost
Rather than saying no upgrade availability like United does almost everywhere, they offered you the cash buy up price at $0.01 / mile . . .
at an insulting price.. just booked tickets from tpa to zrh via phl on AA using 22.5k miles. Spending 65k to upgrade from Y to PS is absurd
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bost
Rather than saying no upgrade availability like United almost everywhere, they offered you the cash buy up price at $0.01 / mile . . .

Right, important point. Important to differentiate between a mileage upgrade award and upgrading with miles:

For Delta, the difference is that mileage upgrade awards are set amounts of miles (from now unpublished chart) that can only be used if upgrade fare class inventory is available. The amount is fixed based on the regions you are traveling between. This is usually a very good value if you are upgrading from a more expensive coach ticket (Y/B/M fares).

Upgrading with miles is kind of like the pay with miles program but is not limited to Amex card holders. It is typically used when mileage upgrade award inventory is not available or if the price to upgrade is less than the mileage award cost. In this case you are basically paying a cash upgrade, but the miles are being converted into cash at a rate of $.01 /miles.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Why do you keep booking DL? Seems like you have been griping about them forever, so all these negative experiences can hardly be a surprise -- what are you expecting?

Then again, it seems like most of your posts across multiple forums and travel providers are rants of some kind. Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining, I guess
Disagree, and think you are the curmudgeon. The OP is right on. I, too, am coming to grips with having accumulated 3,000,000 DL miles and paid Bastian's $15000 spend for DM. Wife is lock step with me on flying.

Wife and I are going to burn all our DM miles next year ad sign off on DL. Yeah, they're pretty good operationally, and the reason I went over to them (from being a 2.5mm UA flyer and 6mm AA flyer) was that they were more reliable. But make no mistake, the DL FF program is the stingiest of all, and DL crows about it, and we flyers have to suck it up and walk with our feet. I suspect we have that common agreement on strategy.

One thing that amuses me: "Who would ever purchase FF miles for DL"?, given how rapidly they depreciate in value. Worse than radioactive decay.

Airlines are like politicians. You don't listen to anything they say---you just watch what they do.
BearX220 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by FullFare
Airlines are like politicians. You don't listen to anything they say---you just watch what they do.
Pretty sure this can be said for just about every corporation on earth — at least those with 1,000+ employees. They all crow like big cocks, but few back it up.

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Disagree, and think you are the curmudgeon. The OP is right on.
What did I say that you disagreed with? Go read a bunch of OPs other posts and a bunch of mine and tell me I'm the curmudgeon

I said OP complains a lot, not that the current complaint was invalid (in fact I started the exact opposite several posts later)

You'll get no argument from me if this either. If it doesn't work for you, move on. OP seems unwilling to do that.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ethernal
...are you implying Delta provides a noticeably superior product relative to the other US carriers?
On a total product-service-culture-consistency-reliability basis, relative to UA and AA, that's a firm yes. But:

...the DL FF program is the stingiest of all, and DL crows about it... "Who would ever purchase FF miles for DL"?, given how rapidly they depreciate in value. Worse than radioactive decay.
Also true. I abandoned ship a year or two after DL/NW; saw the writing on the wall. When they went to dynamic redemption values, I thought: told you so.

SM is an absurd shell game. Why in the wide world of sports would you invest in a currency whose value is concealed until you try to buy something? Would you buy £ or € without knowing the exchange rate, or patronize a London pub not knowing, until you ask, if a pint is £3 or £15?

I like the DL product but the FF program is not worth the trouble.
strickerj and omaralt like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.