Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Splitting PNR after Delta Comfort Companion upgrade clears

Old Aug 7, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get a definitive answer here, since the PM line didn't have one - I have a cross country trip booked in a few weeks with a companion, that has already cleared for Comfort+ seating. Now my work is considering sending me on a project near the destination, but that would require splitting my reservation and changing my ticket (but not hers). Do I need to make sure that she has selected seats in the main cabin before I split the PNR? Would prefer to give her at least exit row if she is automatically kicked out of the cleared Comfort+ seat, but is she gets to keep Comfort+ as an already cleared upgrade then I don't need to change anything.
Anyone have experience here?
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
As long as nothing changes with the flight (schedule or equipment) your companion should be fine.
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:07 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post
As long as nothing changes with the flight (schedule or equipment) your companion should be fine.
I disagree. Best strategy would be to move your companion now to the best available non-C+ seat (such as exit row) and then split the PNR. No way companion keeps C+ without you in the PNR. Companion would keep the preferred seat so long as nothing changes with the flight (schedule or equipment).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have had many experiences (though not this exact one) where DL kicks me out of a preferred seat assignment. I cleared an upgrade before I lost my elite status, and was kicked out of my seat. Change my FF number to a non-DL number, lost my seat. DL IME is very strict on this.

As soon as the 'payment' method for the C+ seat is gone (your elite status), the seat is at risk. It may even stick until check-in when it will ask for payment.

No-brainer here, move her out, it will only cause issues.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Split PNR last year with my daughter at the gate of first flight with only one seat available, that I was giving to her.
She was upgraded on the rest of the segments before check-in.
At the click of a mouse by the gate agent, she was demoted instantly from all remaining flights.
Again, this was last year, don't know if the 'system' has gotten any better/smarter
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Split PNR last year with my daughter at the gate of first flight with only one seat available, that I was giving to her.
She was upgraded on the rest of the segments before check-in.
At the click of a mouse by the gate agent, she was demoted instantly from all remaining flights.
Again, this was last year, don't know if the 'system' has gotten any better/smarter
I have split PNRs from companions multiple times as recently as last month and not once has had a seat assignment/confirmed UG taken away due to this.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta DM 2+MM
Like BHammy, within the last 6 weeks, have had 4 flights where everything gets split, seats all screwed up, itineraries not available, calls to diamond line all with different answers. Doesn't matter what status your companion is, it is just screwed up. Not sure why Delta has to do it, but there's apparently some "good and valid" reason, I'm sure. Just another enhancement.
Old Aug 11, 18, 11:44 am
formerly B7e7US
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Also can confirm experiences with seat assignment in C+ / preferred lost after splitting PNR.
Old Aug 11, 18, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
I disagree. Best strategy would be to move your companion now to the best available non-C+ seat (such as exit row) and then split the PNR. No way companion keeps C+ without you in the PNR. Companion would keep the preferred seat so long as nothing changes with the flight (schedule or equipment).
-1 to your post. Once cleared and upgraded, unless something happens to cause a need to rerun the seatmap (flight change, plane swap, etc) the seat assignment sticks. It's just like when you clear an upgrade at window for flight Feb 1-5 despite losing elite status on Jan 31. The only exception I've seen is where an agent actively downgrades the companion.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 18, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
-1 to your post. Once cleared and upgraded, unless something happens to cause a need to rerun the seatmap (flight change, plane swap, etc) the seat assignment sticks. It's just like when you clear an upgrade at window for flight Feb 1-5 despite losing elite status on Jan 31. The only exception I've seen is where an agent actively downgrades the companion.
My experience is totally opposite. -2 to your post.

"It's just like when you clear an upgrade at window for flight Feb 1-5 despite losing elite status on Jan 31"
Bad example. I have experienced this exact situation and I was pushed out of F back to Y and not even given a seat assignment. No, there was not an equipment change or anything else to trigger this. I even already mentioned this a few posts before yours.

De-upgraded, or how not to treat an ex-plat

I have also changed my DL number to a VA number and immediately dropped from a C+ seat and again, without a seat assignment. I even called and the agents said it was impossible to keep a C+ upgrade without a 'payment', and in this case my DL SM number was payment. Even though my VA number was eligible for C+, and I was in the window for that VA upgrade to be processed, I still couldn't keep my upgrade.

Credit to partner FF#, lose upgrade

Unless you've gone through these experiences yourself you are giving some serious misinformation. And even if you have, I can tell you that downgrades happen without a 'trigger' like you describe.

In more than one experience, I've seen that DL is proactive about kicking people out of upgraded seats once their eligibility changes.
SDQBound likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 11, 18 at 8:04 pm
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
I disagree.
-1 to your post.
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
It's already the case that -1 x -1 = 1 and flips the sign back, so you can say -1 instead of -2 although I've lost track of whether we're agreeing or disagreeing with the OP now
Old Aug 12, 18, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
This happened to my wife, I split the PNR and didn't fly and her upgrade was downgraded. I have also split the record locator but still flown and linked them and she has remained next to me. That's not the same situation as described by OP, but it is apparent that more often than not the companion will lose their seat.
CPMaverick and SDQBound like this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:03 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I had my nephew booked on a same-PNR flight with me, but it became apparent that he was not going to make the trip. We were both in C+ as upgraded. I had them split the record (so I could take advantage of a good FCM rate since I was going to be by myself), and he immediately vanished back to the very back.

So, my experience is that when the records split, the companion upgrades goes poof.
CPMaverick and SDQBound like this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post

"It's just like when you clear an upgrade at window for flight Feb 1-5 despite losing elite status on Jan 31"
Bad example. I have experienced this exact situation and I was pushed out of F back to Y and not even given a seat assignment. No, there was not an equipment change or anything else to trigger this. I even already mentioned this a few posts before yours.

De-upgraded, or how not to treat an ex-plat

I have also changed my DL number to a VA number and immediately dropped from a C+ seat and again, without a seat assignment. I even called and the agents said it was impossible to keep a C+ upgrade without a 'payment', and in this case my DL SM number was payment. Even though my VA number was eligible for C+, and I was in the window for that VA upgrade to be processed, I still couldn't keep my upgrade.

Credit to partner FF#, lose upgrade

Unless you've gone through these experiences yourself you are giving some serious misinformation. And even if you have, I can tell you that downgrades happen without a 'trigger' like you describe.

In more than one experience, I've seen that DL is proactive about kicking people out of upgraded seats once their eligibility changes.
This is how it has worked. At least Till recently (and there's other thread posts that back it up) it required an agent to actively take away the upgrade once it cleared, absent a need to reseat passengers (plane change, IRROPS, etc) for upgrade to go away.

Do we know if that is what us happening instead of system taking it away? I can see Delta changing the system, but Delta has always gone by the once giveth don't take away absent some subsequent change method. I doubt they fixed this, but left the system to allow upgrades for Feb 1-5th for former elites to stick.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:33 am

This is how it has worked. At least Till recently (and there's other thread posts that back it up) it required an agent to actively take away the upgrade once it cleared
My examples are not new. So it worked that way long ago (at least in the case of the First Class Upgrades). Of course I don't know 100% if an agent dumped me out of F but it happened the exact day my status dropped, and it was a couple days before the flight so I doubt an agent had a reason to manually look at my PNR.

The only other example I can find otherwise is a flight on 3/1 (back when status was good until 2/28), the person flew upgraded. But check-in was open on 2/28, and I believe that once you are checked-in, seats do stick. So, please link the examples that you say back you up.

In the case of switching FF numbers, multiple agents (check-in, lounge, and phone) told me it was impossible to change my FF number without automatically losing my seat assignment. They said 'the system will not keep you in this seat if we delete your SM number from the reservation". And they were right, because eventually I let them change my FF# and it spit me out of the seat straight away.

Look above your post, it happens to others as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: