Why the hate for the MD 88 & MD 90?

Old Aug 7, 18, 8:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Why the hate for the MD 88 & MD 90?

Honestly it is probably my favorite two planes in all of DL's fleet. (at least domestically)

If I am flying somewhere that has A321 or 737-900 and MD's on the route I will purposely book the MD flight.

Just curious why people dislike them? I for one am disappointed they are going away for the 737-900 and A321 which I think are huge downgrades. (not enough 717's in the fleet its hard for me to find them )
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I've found that people that think IFE is a big perk don't like the MD series (for obvious reasons). Everyone who doesn't care about that seems to love the MDs (88/90/717).

And then there are some people that don't like them because they are "old" (not that this really means anything in my opinion).

The 717 and MD-90 are my favorite planes to fly in the DL fleet (technically the E175 is my favorite, but I've been on exactly one of those on a 30 minute hop from PDX->SEA so that doesn't count ). The MD88 seems to have worse seats so I'd put that in a second tier behind the MD90 and 717. The only downside is that they still don't have the faster internet which is an issue (although with lower pax volume driving congestion this is manageable most of the time).
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't mind flying in them. Especially up front. Until I got new insulated windows at the house, I didn't like when they flew over on approach, though. And I am miles from the airport.

You can tell how much quieter newer planes have gotten when one of those flies over instead. Delta favors the MDs on the ATL/BNA routes so I hear them quite a bit.
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:47 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
MD-90's and 717's use modern hi-bypass turbofans and are much quieter than the MD-88's which use older JT8D-219's with a relatively low bypass ratio (1.74 to 1).
SoroSuub1 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
I dislike MD88s because they are loud and Delta now doesn't maintain the cabin as well as they do on other fleet types, in my opinion, due to their impending retirement. That doesn't mean they are bad planes. The pilots I've spoken to who fly Mad Dogs swear by them.

A321s, 757s, and 717s are my favorites. MD90 and MD88 are still ahead of the 739.
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I've found that people that think IFE is a big perk don't like the MD series (for obvious reasons). Everyone who doesn't care about that seems to love the MDs (88/90/717).

And then there are some people that don't like them because they are "old" (not that this really means anything in my opinion).

The 717 and MD-90 are my favorite planes to fly in the DL fleet (technically the E175 is my favorite, but I've been on exactly one of those on a 30 minute hop from PDX->SEA so that doesn't count ). The MD88 seems to have worse seats so I'd put that in a second tier behind the MD90 and 717. The only downside is that they still don't have the faster internet which is an issue (although with lower pax volume driving congestion this is manageable most of the time).
IFE is literally something I could care less about (I have an iPad or other options) so maybe thats why I love the MD/717
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I got no issue with the MD80/90's. Best upgrade probability in the fleet last time I ran the numbers... Don't think I ran the 717.
Old Aug 7, 18, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
As someone who lives in Florida and gets the MDs all summer long, I hate they because they cannot keep the cabin cool while on the ground, no matter what they do.
Sitting for 40 minutes or longer on a plane where the cabin temperature is hovering over 80 is not fun.
Old Aug 7, 18, 9:33 am

I like the MDs as well. Also from Florida and it can get warm if you're stuck inside for a while, but I am usually sipping on a drink by then and it never gets too bad.

I do not care about IFE as I can use my variety of devices instead which I download stuff on prior. Hate having to sit through the DL intro, announcements, and sometimes laughable editing on their movies.

Someone else mentioned upgrades and it does seem to get more upgrades as well. Boarding is generally faster too. I think most of the hate is lack of chairback display and age/noise.
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post

Just curious why people dislike them?
What did you read in the threads that expressed dislike for the MD-88s and MD-90s?
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: DL-Platinum UA-Silver
I like seat back IFE so I don't particularly care for MDs/717...But rather be in 2-3 if I have to be in Y

How does the Dispatch reliability on 88s compare to fleet-wide average?....that would be another deterrent, i know some of them are 30+ or near 30
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat
Cause the haters gonna hate.
tvnwz and defrosted like this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:05 am

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
IFE is literally something I could care less about (I have an iPad or other options) so maybe thats why I love the MD/717
So, just how much less could you care -- literally speaking?
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
I got no issue with the MD80/90's. Best upgrade probability in the fleet last time I ran the numbers... Don't think I ran the 717.
I just looked at my flights for the last three years (so some of this is PM data), excluded international, paid F/J, and last-second irrops rebookings, and got these numbers:

MD88: 64%
MD90: 50%
B717: 50%

E175: 100% (1/1)

CRJ7: 60%
CRJ9: 81%

B752: 73%
B753: 75%

B738: 43%
B739: 53%

A319: 71%
A320: 33%
A321: 40%
A330: 25% (all ATL-SFO or v/v)
quinzinho likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I dislike them because, in my personal experience, they consistently have poor dispatch reliability: A disproportionate number of my MX delayed flights have been on -88/-90 aircraft. Particularly the 90, which I avoid at all costs.

The lack of in seat power of any kind in Y is also a major bummer, as are the awkwardly sized overhead bins. The Y exit rows are also less attractive, between the gnarly engine noise at the back and the loooooong wait to exit down the aisle.

Keith2004 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: