Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a companion when medallion is in paid F

Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

Just wrote about this in another thread but wondered if the community has more info on it:

I have twice listed companions for upgrade when I was booked in paid F and they were booked in economy. Both times they cleared and sat in F with me, though they did not clear until the gate.

This leads me to wonder: What type of priority does this kind of upgrade get? Is it based on the companions fare class or the medallions? Is this even technically allowed or did I get lucky? It seems like a medallion flying on paid F should certainly be able to list a companion for upgrade if medallions flying in paid Y can, and it has worked for me.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
This is likely a stupid question, but how do you book you and someone else in different fare codes on the same pnr?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
how do you book you and someone else in different fare codes on the same pnr?
You don't.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
They are upgraded after Silvers but before Skyteam Elites / SPG Platinums (not sure if they are still upgraded after the mid-July changes.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
They are upgraded after Silvers but before Skyteam Elites / SPG Platinums (not sure if they are still upgraded after the mid-July changes.
Companions get upgraded at same priority as the Medallion.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Companions get upgraded at same priority as the Medallion.
On the same reservation, yes, but since the OP said he was already in F and the companion was in Y they must have been on separate PNRs, in which case "your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows" so no sooner than 24 hours for general member, and usual window (for the companion) otherwise.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
On the same reservation, yes, but since the OP said he was already in F and the companion was in Y they must have been on separate PNRs, in which case "your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows" so no sooner than 24 hours for general member, and usual window (for the companion) otherwise.
Thank you for your reading comprehension which seems to be a lost art these days.
DiverDave and SamOF like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I understand that. Same PNR gets upgrade at window. Separate PNR only DoD. Regardless it's at the status of the elite member requesting the companion upgrade.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Thank you for your reading comprehension which seems to be a lost art these days.
Too bad that what he commented on wasn't what I was talking about. See my post above. Companion upgrades clear at the higher member status. The only difference between being on one PNR and different, is different won't clear till 24 hours out.

Last time I had separate PNR upgrade was six months ago. Companion was a FO. At airport I asked if placing them as my companion would move them up the list. Once they did their magic he moved from near bottom to near top. Airport agent told me the new policy gives the higher status, just can't be done on separate till airport.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 7, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I understand that. Same PNR gets upgrade at window. Separate PNR only DoD. Regardless it's at the status of the elite member requesting the companion upgrade.
While I agree that "at the status of the elite member" need not necessarily be in conflict with "no sooner than 24 hours", what you state is incompatiblewith the language on the DL site which says regarding separate PNRs "your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status"

Perhaps jdrtravel can shed additional light if he recalls where the companion appeared on the upgrade list.

Last time I had separate PNR upgrade was six months ago. Companion was a FO. At airport I asked if placing them as my companion would move them up the list. Once they did their magic he moved from near bottom to near top.
(I think you may have edited this in while I was writing my reply)

​​​​​​​Interesting (and still in conflict with the web site language) although more data would still be useful.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

While I agree that "at the status of the elite member" need not necessarily be in conflict with "no sooner than 24 hours", what you state is incompatiblewith the language on the DL site which says regarding separate PNRs "your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status"

Perhaps jdrtravel can shed additional light if he recalls where the companion appeared on the upgrade list.
Which if was an FO would mean the FO window. However per that wording a general member wouldn't get an upgrade as they don't have status.

I add my last and only time since policy change as an example above. If this was wrong I'm curious how they moved him up the list.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:18 am

Which if was an FO would mean the FO window.
Provided, obviously, that RU exists (I know you know, just completing the thought)

However per that wording a general member wouldn't get an upgrade as they don't have status.
Except for the later clause that explains how general members will clear.

I add my last and only time since policy change as an example above. If this was wrong I'm curious how they moved him up the list.
Yep, edited my original reply accordingly. It would not shock me if the web site did not accurately capture all the nuances and your interpretation is actually correct but could also be the agent just figured they'd do you a favor or something.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Provided, ...

...Yep, edited my original reply accordingly. It would not shock me if the web site did not accurately capture all the nuances and your interpretation is actually correct but could also be the agent just figured they'd do you a favor or something.
I think it was jrl767 who put it best, "consistent inconsistency."
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm sorry I don't remember where they fell on the list, though I think it was low--however, that they cleared at all probably means they were not at the bottom.

So on separate PNRs it's at 24 hours or later but still ranked by the elite's status among those waiting for upgrade at that point? And how does fare class play into this? Is it the general member's fare class or does the F fare class (or GAP) play into this somehow?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm sorry I don't remember where they fell on the list, though I think it was low--however, that they cleared at all probably means they were not at the bottom.

So on separate PNRs it's at 24 hours or later but still ranked by the elite's status among those waiting for upgrade at that point? And how does fare class play into this? Is it the general member's fare class or does the F fare class (or GAP) play into this somehow?
As agent explained, everything else stays the same. It's just they basically get upgraded to the sponsoring medallions elite level for purposes of elite level priority. If they have an X fare then grouping is still off the X fare class group. I've asked agents over the phone and been told the same. However I only have the 1 experience to guide me, but it does match what I was told.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.