Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any concern about booking 2 one-ways, instead of round-trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles

Two family members have gifted me their FF miles, each a tad over 40,000. I am thinking of flying TYS-MAN this fall and was hoping to book one award out and one award back to the States two weeks later. I could book the return a day after I booked the departure. Is there any concern with this kind of booking?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by nanp
Two family members have gifted me their FF miles, each a tad over 40,000. I am thinking of flying TYS-MAN this fall and was hoping to book one award out and one award back to the States two weeks later. I could book the return a day after I booked the departure. Is there any concern with this kind of booking?
Be sure to price the return one way ticket now before deciding what to do - ex-Europe one way mileage tickets usually have high fees.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
1)you'll pay EU surcharge for the ex-MAN award, whereas a RT avoids this
2)if one changes then technically the other isn't effected. Ie if you lose two days on outbound on a RT you can push return back two days. On separate tickets can't count on them doing that.
3)two redeposit fees VS one if cancel
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott and MLife Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Explorist
So long as you have proof of return at the time of your departure you are just fine. (I am a former airline employee and was required to explain that to customers booking one way tinternational flights) It doesn't even matter if the return flight is with a different carrier. We just flew out on an international Delta flight yesterday that was booked as two separate one ways booked at different times. No issues whatsoever.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It all depends on the particular situation: (1) In my experience, it is best to jump on a low-miles award ticket for a desired date/itinerary before it evaporates, and it is common that there is not the best deal on the flight for the way back on the particular day/itinerary you desire. So, then two one-way award tickets make a lot of sense as long as taxes for two one-ways are about the same as for a roundtrip. Also, assuming that you can redeposit without fees, two one-way award tickets give you the flexibility to change each of them independently from each other when a better itinerary becomes available or if miles requirements drop; when booked as a return the itinerary may get repriced as a whole when changes are made, which may result in the loss of availability on a partner airline or in you forking over more miles. (2) Two one-way award tickets to certain countries (all of Europe, for example, but not Canada) are a lot more expensive than a round-trip ticket because of taxes ex-Europe. So, it makes sense to carefully determine what is best in your particular case. I have never had issues with one-ways as long as you have proof of having a ticket for the way back. However, when traveling on a one-way ticket internationally, sometimes you are deemed a high-risk traveler, and you get the dreaded SSSS on your boarding pass, which some security agents see as a license to check you and your luggage to no end. I have not had an issue with that (either in the US or in a foreign country) since I have had pre-check, though.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Double check entry rules for your passport and destination. You should anticipate the slight possibility that you will need to show airline and/or immigration officials proof of your return ticket, preferably as a hard copy of the ticket receipt and the itinerary showing that you're confirmed on the flight(s). Be sure to carry these documents with you.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Interesting responses. I was thinking more along the lines that Delta might not like the ticketing. But as I do not have enough miles for an award round-trip, I was trying to press the easy-button, cost wise.
" Be sure to price the return one way ticket now before deciding what to do". I checked a few weeks ago, both flights were at 40,000 miles, booking at least one week before departure. I will book last minute and hope for the best. If there are some departure fees at MAN, it can't be too much, can it? I am not concerned about a possible redeposit of miles. And as to being deemed a high-risk traveler, that could be interesting. As I have a titanium hip, they pull me over anyway.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Interesting responses. I was thinking more along the lines that Delta might not like the ticketing. But as I do not have enough miles for an award round-trip, I was trying to press the easy-button, cost wise.
" Be sure to price the return one way ticket now before deciding what to do". I checked a few weeks ago, both flights were at 40,000 miles, booking at least one week before departure. I will book last minute and hope for the best. If there are some departure fees at MAN, it can't be too much, can it? I am not concerned about a possible redeposit of miles. And as to being deemed a high-risk traveler, that could be interesting. As I have a titanium hip, they pull me over anyway.
Its not departure fees at MAN that are an issue. DL like basically all European carriers charge YQ (aka fuel surcharges aka scam charges) on tickets booked EX-EU.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
If you need to cancel your trip, you'll need to pay two redeposit fees instead of just one. This doesn't apply if you're PM or DM.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
In regard to the EX-EU fees, you can get an idea by trying a booking. As an example, looking at a random date in late September, you could pay around 32,500 SM and £280 (~$280) in fees for a MAN-TYS one way ticket. The dollar seems to be pretty strong right now, so that conversion could end up being higher if the value of the dollar drops by the time you buy your tickets. You could get a round trip TYS-MAN at about the same time for 65,000 SM with fees of $155. So the one-way tickets almost double your fees.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Aug 5, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

" You could get a round trip TYS-MAN at about the same time for 65,000 SM "
Minor problem. I have access to 3 accounts, each has a bit over 40,000 miles. So. As you cannot combine accounts, it is what it is.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can transfer miles between accounts, but the fees that DL charges for doing so tend to be more than the miles are worth. Similarly, you can purchase miles from DL. This might make sense if one of the accounts has close to the required number of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.