Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is trekking down to LAX worth Delta One or...

Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Will be hanging out with a friend in LA for five days or so, a very very busy week. I want her to be comfortable on her flight back since I believe she'll have to return to work the next day. We'll be at the Universal Hilton and probably will have had a very long day/late night right before she heads home, hitting Universal ~8:30am and doing the Halloween event that night as well so not back to the hotel till maybe 1am.

So I have a couple options but need some input since I get tunnel vision and just go into FlyerTalk mode looking for the best lounge to hit, type of plane, seat, etc. I don't think like a normal average person any more, lol

Anyway, option one is booking her so she departs BUR at 11:37 AM on a JetBlue flight direct to JFK, approx. 5.5 hours on an A320. I was going to book the slightly upgraded seat "even more space" and put her in row 2. Just under $250.

Options 2 is trekking down to LAX and booking her on a 12:55 PM Delta One flight direct to JFK, approx. 6 hour on an Boeing 767-400. This would be for about $660, which seems like a great price for Delta One (though I've never personally flown a D1 flight). That said, I know the LAX to JFK D1 route on the 767 is MUCH different then if flying internationally D1. She would get lounge access at LAX, but since I'm not leaving till the next day (and live somewhere else) she would be in the lounge alone and honestly don't know if she cares about that stuff at all. Is this D1 route worth having to fight traffic from Universal Studios down to LAX on a Friday at mid morning? Is it worth it for landing later, 9:45 PM on the D1 flight vs 8 PM on the JetBlue if you have plans to work the next day, etc?

What would you book for a friend that doesn't hunt for the best routing or change seats every time something better opens up on the seat map, etc.

Do you think being very close to the airport, it being a smaller and easier airport to get around, and landing a little earlier add up to be more important then a transcon D1 flight?

(And for everyone that says "just ask her", I know she'll just say book the cheapest)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not worth it IMO.

Now if you can get her on JetBlue Mint from LAX for that price, I would pull the trigger, but for the DL 764 not worth it.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Not sure I understand the "much different than international J" - it's not like the change the seats - the product is identical (other than some small things like the meal service is a bit more like domestic F, but who cares). If you think she needs to sleep and you have the money to spare (...and are trying to impress her I guess? ), get Delta One. I would normally advise against a 767 because the D1 seats are rightly referred to as coffins, but I assume that she is not over 6" or has very wide shoulders so it will probably be okay.
jdrtravel and safari ari like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure I understand the "much different than international J" - it's not like the change the seats - the product is identical (other than some small things like the meal service is a bit more like domestic F, but who cares). If you think she needs to sleep and you have the money to spare (...and are trying to impress her I guess? ), get Delta One. I would normally advise against a 767 because the D1 seats are rightly referred to as coffins, but I assume that she is not over 6" or has very wide shoulders so it will probably be okay.
Ah, I thought they flew different metal on all the D1 international routes and that the seats would be different/better, etc. I did read a couple reviews that complained the D1 seats were very tight for a F product, if she was going red eye then I would consider the lie flat as being a benefit, but I highly doubt she would try to sleep on this mid-day flight, especially because she'll be used to the west coast time zone by that point and while wore out from a long day the day before, there will be at least 6 hours or so for sleep at the hotel. I'm just looking for the least stressful flight back, a little extra space, quick through the airports, etc

In regards to the Jet Blue Mint service, originally that's what I was looking for, but they don't have that out of BUR and LAX is over $1,000 one way, which is just a bit out of my price range after factoring in the cost of the Disney hotel, multi day Disney tickets, Universal VIP tickets, Halloween Horror nights tickets, and the Hilton stay, oh, and my flight from Washington state :P
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta One will be much nicer than an extra leg room seat in coach. As ethernal said, Delta One LAX-JFK is nearly the same as international Delta One, expect that the meal service is not as elaborate (the food is nicer than regular first class but it's not as high end as international and it is served all at once, not in courses).

$660 for one way Delta One IS a very good price, if you want to pay it. While she may not use the lay flat as a bed during the day, it is still really nice to be able to stretch out on a long flight, and, if the night before is late, she may want to sleep.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is not whether there is good value for the segment in the air, but the overall travel time door-to-door. D1 is far nicer than the nicest non-MINT seat on B6. But, consider the door-to-door time and whether that tips things to the B6 flight.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You're going to have to leave around 9 or maybe 9:30 to ensure she gets there in time for the 12:55 LAX flight, which is roughly the same time (or slightly earlier than) you would have to leave to make the 11:37 BUR flight, so effectively the tradeoff is 80 minutes less travel vs premium cabin (+$400). Keep in mind the eastbound flights regularly clock in at 4.5 - 5 hours, which TBH isn't that long for a lie flat seat.

If price is not the issue, then another consideration might be IROPs handling. If something goes wrong, she'll have far more options on DL ex-LAX than B6 ex-BUR. And with a paid D1 ticket, there's even the potential to SDC to a different flight 24 hours beforehand.

Assuming both flights operate on time, it's a pretty close call here... I'd probably lean slightly towards DL/LAX (especially if you want to do something special/nice), but tbh the B6/BUR option is probably going to be less stressful all around.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:40 pm

According to Bing Maps, the Universal Hilton is 5.2 miles from BUR. The route is via surface streets. It's about 25-27 miles to LAX, depending on the route. Those routes involve multiple freeways. I could see going the LAX if it was the only option for a nonstop or if it provided a lie-flat seat on a redeye. But, in this scenario, I wouldn't even consider LAX...even if it's for a premium product.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Often1
The question is not whether there is good value for the segment in the air, but the overall travel time door-to-door. D1 is far nicer than the nicest non-MINT seat on B6. But, consider the door-to-door time and whether that tips things to the B6 flight.
another consideration, not "The question"
Originally Posted by bennos
You're going to have to leave around 9 or maybe 9:30 to ensure she gets there in time for the 12:55 LAX flight, which is roughly the same time (or slightly earlier than) you would have to leave to make the 11:37 BUR flight, so effectively the tradeoff is 80 minutes less travel vs premium cabin (+$400). Keep in mind the eastbound flights regularly clock in at 4.5 - 5 hours, which TBH isn't that long for a lie flat seat.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
According to Bing Maps, the Universal Hilton is 5.2 miles from BUR. The route is via surface streets. It's about 25-27 miles to LAX, depending on the route. Those routes involve multiple freeways.
1255 departure, so 1115 arrival at T2 ... mid-day Friday tells me ~1000 departure Universal (via Uber/taxi, or rental car if you know your way around LA)
Originally Posted by bennos
If price is not the issue, then another consideration might be IROPs handling. If something goes wrong, she'll have far more options on DL ex-LAX than B6 ex-BUR. And with a paid D1 ticket, there's even the potential to SDC to a different flight 24 hours beforehand.
these can be MASSIVE advantages
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1255 departure, so 1115 arrival at T2 ... mid-day Friday tells me ~1000 departure Universal (via Uber/taxi, or rental car if you know your way around LA)
seems excessive imho unless there is rental car return involved and luggage to check... with uber i'd leave at 11 and comfortably make it...
still BUR makes things so much easier especially if you have rental car... can even get smth from porto's before flying out
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Man, all really good points. I didn’t even think about IROPS, I usually always get luck and never have any delay or IROPS issues. I am trying to keep her flying direct into LA and back to NY to reduce any connection stress. I don’t have a lot of options either with that since she’s going into SNA (Disney is our first item) and I believe United is about the only one with a direct flight into SNA from the New York area.

I highly doubt she would get much usage out of the sky club, and might not even drop by it. I doubt she would use the lie flat seat to sleep during the flight. Would be nice for free drinks and a good (for airline) meal.

I think Jet Blue is about the only direct flight offered out of BUR though and they don’t have an F cabin. Ideally would book a ~$500 or so “standard” F seat for her. She gets something to eat, no worry with overhead space and bags in NY first, and free drinks.

So the food with D1 is a step above the standard domestic F stuff? What about service, are they coming by refilling drinks a bit more compared to a normal F transcon?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
seems excessive imho unless there is rental car return involved and luggage to check... with uber i'd leave at 11 and comfortably make it...
still BUR makes things so much easier especially if you have rental car... can even get smth from porto's before flying out
I’ll have a rental car (Silver car from SNA) and be dropping her off at the airport. She will have a checked bag. I fly out a day later out of SNA. (Though I honestly probably would have gone out of LAX and made use of the lounge and stuff IF Silver Car allowed a pick up at SNA and return at LAX, but of course doesn’t.)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IMO, dropping $100 on breakfast + B6 is the way to go.
safari ari likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
trying to suggest a LOT of margin, because you just never know what sort of nonsense will appear in the greater LA area (surface streets, freeways, Century Blvd ramps to LAX ...); nonetheless, with carry-on and TSA Pre, Uber at 1045-1100 would almost certainly be ok

"rental car" was based on OP driving but not actually returning the car, since he's staying another day
Originally Posted by acarney
(Though I honestly probably would have gone out of LAX and made use of the lounge and stuff IF Silver Car allowed a pick up at SNA and return at LAX, but of course doesn’t.)
um, maybe re-think the rental car plan ... just sayin' ...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by acarney
Man, all really good points. I didn’t even think about IROPS, I usually always get luck and never have any delay or IROPS issues. I am trying to keep her flying direct into LA and back to NY to reduce any connection stress. I don’t have a lot of options either with that since she’s going into SNA (Disney is our first item) and I believe United is about the only one with a direct flight into SNA from the New York area.

I highly doubt she would get much usage out of the sky club, and might not even drop by it. I doubt she would use the lie flat seat to sleep during the flight. Would be nice for free drinks and a good (for airline) meal.

I think Jet Blue is about the only direct flight offered out of BUR though and they don’t have an F cabin. Ideally would book a ~$500 or so “standard” F seat for her. She gets something to eat, no worry with overhead space and bags in NY first, and free drinks.

So the food with D1 is a step above the standard domestic F stuff? What about service, are they coming by refilling drinks a bit more compared to a normal F transcon?
Food out of LAX to JFK is quite good for airplane food, designed by the chefs behind a bunch of great restaurants in LA including Animal and Son of a Gun. There will be a seasonally-focused menu with local California ingredients, and a choice of 3-4 entrees. There will be lots and lots to eat. Ice cream (recently McConnells from Santa Barbara) for dessert. As of a few months ago, the wines were excellent and possibly better than international, but this changes monthly.

Recently the transcon service flow was simplified so most of the food comes out on one tray, like a domestic F flight, instead of a multi-course extravaganza like an international flight. But the food is still much better than domestic F.

Service varies based on the crew but usually it's very good. The 764 has a huge D1 cabin so in my experience it can be a bit less personal because the ratio is off from, say, the 757 that also flies these routes. Recently there was an A332 on the route. If this is bookable, go for this. Best D1 seat out there, in a smaller cabin than the 764. (764's D1 product is the "original" DL lie-flat product, but with new seat coverings. Some find them a bit narrow, especially when in flat mode, and the screens are outdated.)

I would make this decision in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.