Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Ettiquete?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Funny, in a movie theater it can be the opposite. Some person won't move so you can sit together, so you take seats on either side of him/her and then just start passing popcorn back and forth.
Thats why I love assigned seating at the movies now
wrp96 and dcadwell like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Thats why I love assigned seating at the movies now
Was about to say, I can't recall the last time I wasn't forced to pre-select seats.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks

I pulled out the free playboy
Wait, is this a thing?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Was about to say, I can't recall the last time I wasn't forced to pre-select seats.
Assigned seats at the movie theatre?? Where are they even that crowded?
(sorry for the hijack, moderators....)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
You juxtaposed the "t's" in "etiquette".

Yeah... I'm that guy.
You mean transposed?
And it would be "ts" and not "t's", right?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by laagima
You mean transposed?
And it would be "ts" and not "t's", right?
Funny thing is, I was arguing with myself of both of those. The "ts" just looked... wrong, so I went for aesthetics over accuracy, and I just like the word juxtaposed -- I don't get to use it often.

But I presume you're correct, on both counts. ;-p
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fred 3
Question to the forum. Was "upgraded" to Comfort+ in the middle seat. A couple had seats on aisle and window. They proceeded to pass things back and forth on the plane quite often and talked to each other. I know they have the right to do so, but what it typical proper etiquette? I would have thought that its ok to plan aisle and window and if someone shows up to move so you can be together and not have someone hear things back and forth.

It is what it is, but just like to hear thoughts
My wife and I used to do that ailse/window thing.

We would NEVER offer to switch to the middle. Because it's the middle....

However, if someone sat in the middle we would NEVER talk over that person or pass things back and forth. So the etiquette is to not make it harder for the middle person.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by puck021

Wait, is this a thing?
They would hand them out as you boarded found a thread by someone else.
Playboy handed out in flight on air berlin
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by af fp
I think it is your loss because you got a middle seat. Next time fly first class or be prepared to deal with this sort of thing: coach class people are gross.

You are very welcome to meet them in grossness, sneeze in their food and participate in the conversation, give marriage advice, etc. That’s what happens in coach anyway. Don’t worry about étiquette (this is how to spell it, there is no alternative). Etiquette (note there is no accent when you capitalize) belongs to the other side of the curtain and then... probably not on a US airline.
You may take some heat for that, from the overly egalitarian majority here at FT. But I agree with you 100%. Steerage is a filthy stinkhole, full of the hoi polloi.

If someone is going to buy a steerage class ticket, one should not be surprised that they are suffering steerage class and all the tortures that come with it. Buy cheap, get cheap. It's no different from booking a room at the motel 6 and complaining there is no spa or memory foam mattress topper, but mold in the tub and mites in the bed.

Ending up in the middle in Y...or even Comfort..is the very definition of being the loser in the game of flying. Sometimes it's not your fault, but more often than not..it is. Flying and the seating game favor the fittest.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You may take some heat for that, from the overly egalitarian majority here at FT. But I agree with you 100%. Steerage is a filthy stinkhole, full of the hoi polloi.

If someone is going to buy a steerage class ticket, one should not be surprised that they are suffering steerage class and all the tortures that come with it. Buy cheap, get cheap. It's no different from booking a room at the motel 6 and complaining there is no spa or memory foam mattress topper, but mold in the tub and mites in the bed.

Ending up in the middle in Y...or even Comfort..is the very definition of being the loser in the game of flying. Sometimes it's not your fault, but more often than not..it is. Flying and the seating game favor the fittest.
I agree completely! We all need someone to plunge our toilets, but we don't need to smell them on the plane.

Peasants in back!
strickerj and Proudelitist like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by af fp
I think it is your loss because you got a middle seat. Next time fly first class or be prepared to deal with this sort of thing: coach class people are gross.

You are very welcome to meet them in grossness, sneeze in their food and participate in the conversation, give marriage advice, etc. That’s what happens in coach anyway. Don’t worry about étiquette (this is how to spell it, there is no alternative). Etiquette (note there is no accent when you capitalize) belongs to the other side of the curtain and then... probably not on a US airline.
You sound like a lovely human being and someone I would absolutely like to get to know!
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

This is an offensive post, not because of the elitism (which it's definitely dripping with, but it's FT so it's par for the course) but because it's just so ignorant and completely based on the dumb assumption that everyone travels the way the poster who made it travels.

I've flown multiple times this year alone in a middle seat on paid full-fare Y tickets costing over $1k one-way. By the time I'm booking flights are often F0 and in some cases Y0. This has nothing to do with being "fit" (which is a dumb concept that has zero meaning anyway). It has to do with realities.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:31 am

What a fun thread this is I think it is always appropriate to ask people who know each other if they prefer to sit together. Unless it means that I would end up moving to a significantly worse seat, I usually make the offer...if I end up better off, I am rewarded for my good deed. I completely understand if people who know each other do not wish to sit together or are indifferent. I am one of those people. If people start passing things back and forth, definitely appropriate to ask a second time.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
This is an offensive post, not because of the elitism (which it's definitely dripping with, but it's FT so it's par for the course) but because it's just so ignorant and completely based on the dumb assumption that everyone travels the way the poster who made it travels.

I've flown multiple times this year alone in a middle seat on paid full-fare Y tickets costing over $1k one-way. By the time I'm booking flights are often F0 and in some cases Y0. This has nothing to do with being "fit" (which is a dumb concept that has zero meaning anyway). It has to do with realities.

I really thought that post was sarcasm, not?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Tough call. And super rude people. I would ask them WHY they don't want to sit next to each other IF they insist on passing or talking over me. Of course then I would have heated up my body temperature building the courage to ask them and I would be uncomfortable the rest of the flight. I'd probably let them know upon deplaning how rude and selfish they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.