Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Death of pax before flight on non-refundable tix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death of pax before flight on non-refundable tix?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This is purely speculation but, if the daughter was recalling correctly, the agent offered vouchers to BOTH passengers -- which is a pretty strange thing to offer a deceased person. That makes me think the agent wasn't really listening but may have been doing two (or more) things at once.

I can (kind of) sympathize with that. I was on a long call today where I began to drift and really can't tell you what it was all about, so I'll give the CS agent the benefit of the doubt.

All that said, I called the DM line and the agent was A-W-E-S-O-M-E and worked the whole thing out in under 10 minutes, and I swear I could feel her heartfelt sympathy over the phone.

Faith in Delta restored. ;-)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've had to deal with this twice in recent years and both times Delta was great -- changed/cancel tickets as needed with no hassle -- just hospital and funeral home names. With all I had to deal with it was appreciated that I didn't have to stress flight arrangements. It wasn't the financial stress of the OPs couple but it was still much appreciated.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How was common sense missing? Agent was never told of an exception. It sounds like they went looking into the fare rules and saw no such exception and thus provided info based on what they had. This was purely a Delta issue for cheaping out on new hire training.
Maybe, but I'm fairly sure it's always in the fare rules

PENALTIES ORIGINATING AREA 1 -
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW.
WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER.

<snip>

DEATH WAIVER MUST BE SUBSTANTIATED BY A
VALID MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How was common sense missing? Agent was never told of an exception. It sounds like they went looking into the fare rules and saw no such exception and thus provided info based on what they had. This was purely a Delta issue for cheaping out on new hire training.
Because common sense says you don't offer a dead person a non-transferable voucher. It would be one thing (albeit incorrect) to say "nothing can be done." The offer of a voucher strongly suggests a serious lack of common sense or a lack of listening comprehension.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
Because common sense says you don't offer a dead person a non-transferable voucher. It would be one thing (albeit incorrect) to say "nothing can be done." The offer of a voucher strongly suggests a serious lack of common sense or a lack of listening comprehension.
I think it was the latter, if I had to guess (which that's all I can do).
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Going beyond the immediate refund issue, at some point in the coming weeks or months you might talk with the widow about her taking some other international trip in the future, perhaps with her daughter or a friend. Since she is an inexperienced traveler a small group tour or river cruise might be best for her. I can personally attest to the therapeutic value of travel after the death of a spouse.
IndyHoosier and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ethernal
Delta has a standard policy on this. See here: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ee-policy.html
Anyone else a little (or more) disappointed that the CSR didn't know about this? It doesn't seem to be any sort of an obscure policy.
flyerCO and SamOF like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Going beyond the immediate refund issue, at some point in the coming weeks or months you might talk with the widow about her taking some other international trip in the future, perhaps with her daughter or a friend. Since she is an inexperienced traveler a small group tour or river cruise might be best for her. I can personally attest to the therapeutic value of travel after the death of a spouse.
Her daughter thought about taking the trip with her mom anyway, but at a little later date since it's still fresh.

I was tearing-up pretty good, because their half-packed luggage was sitting on the bed in their guest room (which used to be this particular daughter's bedroom). It was the same luggage they used on their honeymoon 50 years earlier. They never had time to use it much, with the farm and family. ;-(

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
CarmenOM and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamOF
Or sadly if very new agent, lack of understanding how vouchers work. Some vouchers are transferable . They may have also meant issuing one voucher in wife's name, which would be possible.

Do agree if the fare rules say death allows a refund that agent messed up. However I highly doubt agent just didn't care. We don't know if they reached out to another agent or supervisor and were given bad info. My point in replying in this thread is that issue is most likely lack of training by DL, just like it is so many other times. The frustration should be focused on Delta. The agent did apparently try to do something, albeit incorrect. If they didn't care they wouldn't have done even that.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.