Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diverts in Huntsville AL (HSV) Today.7/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diverts in Huntsville AL (HSV) Today.7/31

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:35 pm

Well I was lucky I sat at the MCO airport for about 5 hours... Had ground stops at both MCO and ATL. Kind of a "perfect storm", but at least I was on the ground in the skyclub!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:18 pm

My kid was connecting on to DUB...Captain told them it looked like they were going to end up at Little Rock...apparently CAE got some diverts too according to what the Captain said. In the end, she got an extra 45 minutes of flight time before they cleared them in to ATL.

She made her flight...appears quite a few didn’t. She had a row of Comfort+ to herself. Whereas earlier in the day it was full.

Coincidentally, I had changed her connection to ATL because of the NYC weather waiver. LOL!

DiverDave and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
ATL is a .... storm tonight. I say this from the ATL Hilton due to cancelled/delayed flight. I was going to fly on flight friend was flying as pilot. However his inbound was delayed by three hours coming from LGA. In fact they had started to divert to HSV and were at the GA state line when an opening allowed them to turn around to ATL. They landed w/o enough hours to fly out. They found a new crew, but I had already rebooked figuring at 10pm at night there was zero chance of new pilots being found. (Especially since the FAs were about to time out shortly)

Alas friend flew home to MSP directly instead of waiting the night. (The flight out of ATL back to LGA was to be the end of his current trip) Sucks since I could've taken one of the other 2 slightly delayed flights instead.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
We had several in BHM as well.......the LAX-ATL flight (757) was one of the flights.....been a while since BHM saw a 757.
BHM based as well. Last week there was a wide body DL bird sitting there with a roll up stair set on the side by the drop-off for departures where they park the police cars regularly. Apparently it diverted in route to ATL and then had a MX issue. When I returned later that night it was gone.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by AussieExPat
UPS flies a 752 to the cargo side of the house @ HSV daily.
Interesting, I thought all UPS air cargo went to MGM.

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
That would be the 77L from NRT. This one, I believe.
I think that's the one - winner winner, chicken dinner!

Thank you,
David
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by JesseRohr

BHM based as well. Last week there was a wide body DL bird sitting there with a roll up stair set on the side by the drop-off for departures where they park the police cars regularly. Apparently it diverted in route to ATL and then had a MX issue. When I returned later that night it was gone.
Wow....be interested to know how they got all those people back to ATL.....send another widebody or use a bus?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
Wow....be interested to know how they got all those people back to ATL.....send another widebody or use a bus?
It was there from the night before. I was on the early LGA flight and back on the nighttime one. That morning the ATL flights were all booked so I am guessing some combination of ground and other birds. Never saw any flight number for the wide body going back that day so who knows how it moved back to ATL. I am guessing empty.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Came home after work today and as I was walking to the house a Delta jet passed directly overhead. (I'm under the Northbound takeoff route to ATL, though with our prevailing winds the great majority of flights take off to the south.) The plane had a blue belly with DELTA painted across the bottom in large white letters.

It piqued my interest, so I went to the HSV airport web page to check it out. Looks like we caught some diverts from ATL today including one from AAnother AAirline. And of course almost everything HSV-ATL today has been running late.

AA 3358 ORD-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:08 PM local departed to ATL at 3:47 PM
DL 1648 Boeing 717 MDW-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:20 PM local and the leg to ATL was cancelled. So I guess they deplaned in HSV and got rebooked from here?
DL 2556 Boeing 739 PDX-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:56 PM local, departed to ATL at 5:20 PM.
DL 2976 McD MD-88 TUL-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:00 PM local, departed to ATL at 4:58 PM.
DL 5122 CR9 FNT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:22 PM local departed to ATL 5:17 PM
DL 2088 McD MD-88 LIT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:03 PM local departed to ATL 5:18 PM
DL 0296 Boeing 777L NRT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:16 PM local departed to ATL 5:27 PM

Delta.com is showing different departure times than the local airport web page, and I am using the delta.com times. I am wondering if the delta.com times are when the aircraft left the gate or taxiway, and maybe the airport times are actual take off time. The latter makes more sense, as according to the above everything had departed before I got home and it's only 8 miles from the airport to my house. The aircraft had wing mounted engines, so it was either the 739 or the 777. Hard to tell the difference looking straight up. Maybe somebody here knows which of those two has a blue belly with white DELTA lettering. Based on when I got home, I am thinking the T7.

Since several flights spent more than two hours here, I wonder if they pulled into a gate for fuel and maybe some snacks and drinks for the passengers.

Just kind of interesting to me. In all of my years of flying I have had lots of flight issues, but have never been on a divert. Has anybody been on a divert that was then cancelled?

Cheers!
David
My wife was on a Delta flight from SAN to ATL last December that diverted to MEM. I think that was the day of the electrical fire at ATL. It arrived at maybe 2PM in MEM and they kept giving new times to depart for ATL until they got to about 7PM and then cancelled it. It did get rescheduled to ATL for the next morning. I was able to get my wife one of the last rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott by the MEM airport. I think that was while they were still saying it was going to go that evening. They wouldn't let anyone on the shuttle bus to the hotel who didn't have a confirmation number..I believe a number of other DL flights to ATL had also diverted to MEM. So they have a number of DL aircraft sitting at MEM.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Just kind of interesting to me. In all of my years of flying I have had lots of flight issues, but have never been on a divert. Has anybody been on a divert that was then cancelled?
Some years ago, PMNW MSP-HPN. It was raining at HPN. A student pilot landed in the lake near the airport. They closed the airport until its instruments could be re-certified. However, the re-certification flight had to take place under VFR.

We diverted to ROC. They waited a few hours (to see if HPN could re-open), then canceled the flight. They said the plane was going to reposition to DTW, and we were welcome to take it if we wanted; from DTW they had flights to LGA and EWR available.

But I would have gotten to my parents' house after 1 AM (they'd be asleep), and would have had to leave the next morning about the time they awoke (if HPN stayed closed since I had to be back at MSP in the afternoon for work). So in DTW I declaired "trip in vain" and went home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.