Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diverts in Huntsville AL (HSV) Today.7/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diverts in Huntsville AL (HSV) Today.7/31

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Cool Diverts in Huntsville AL (HSV) Today.7/31

Came home after work today and as I was walking to the house a Delta jet passed directly overhead. (I'm under the Northbound takeoff route to ATL, though with our prevailing winds the great majority of flights take off to the south.) The plane had a blue belly with DELTA painted across the bottom in large white letters.

It piqued my interest, so I went to the HSV airport web page to check it out. Looks like we caught some diverts from ATL today including one from AAnother AAirline. And of course almost everything HSV-ATL today has been running late.

AA 3358 ORD-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:08 PM local departed to ATL at 3:47 PM
DL 1648 Boeing 717 MDW-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:20 PM local and the leg to ATL was cancelled. So I guess they deplaned in HSV and got rebooked from here?
DL 2556 Boeing 739 PDX-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:56 PM local, departed to ATL at 5:20 PM.
DL 2976 McD MD-88 TUL-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:00 PM local, departed to ATL at 4:58 PM.
DL 5122 CR9 FNT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 2:22 PM local departed to ATL 5:17 PM
DL 2088 McD MD-88 LIT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:03 PM local departed to ATL 5:18 PM
DL 0296 Boeing 777L NRT-(HSV)-ATL Landed at 3:16 PM local departed to ATL 5:27 PM

Delta.com is showing different departure times than the local airport web page, and I am using the delta.com times. I am wondering if the delta.com times are when the aircraft left the gate or taxiway, and maybe the airport times are actual take off time. The latter makes more sense, as according to the above everything had departed before I got home and it's only 8 miles from the airport to my house. The aircraft had wing mounted engines, so it was either the 739 or the 777. Hard to tell the difference looking straight up. Maybe somebody here knows which of those two has a blue belly with white DELTA lettering. Based on when I got home, I am thinking the T7.

Since several flights spent more than two hours here, I wonder if they pulled into a gate for fuel and maybe some snacks and drinks for the passengers.

Just kind of interesting to me. In all of my years of flying I have had lots of flight issues, but have never been on a divert. Has anybody been on a divert that was then cancelled?

Cheers!
David
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any ideas for the diversions? Weather problems?
FAA status currently shows ATL in a ground stop for incoming due to taxi volume.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Storms went through Atlanta earlier, causing the Braves game to be delayed for a while and also causing the mess at the airport.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Storms went through Atlanta earlier, causing the Braves game to be delayed for a while and also causing the mess at the airport.
Fortunately this was on a Tuesday, which is what passes for a "light" travel day these days.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I've been on a divert to HSV (which was my final destination) but because the gates were all in use I had to stay on the plane and hop over to ATL and then hop back!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:50 am

I live near HSV and can always guess when there is bad weather in Atlanta by the bank of planes coming in and then later going out. Several years ago I was flying from TPA - ATL- HSV. We diverted to HSV because of thunderstorms in Atlanta and set out on the tarmac for about two hours. HSV was the final destination for five of us on the plane but we were not allowed to deplane. Of course we finally got back to ATL about five minutes after the last flight to HSV had left and had to spend the night in Atlanta.
DiverDave and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:29 am

I was diverted to HSV just last Sunday on a flight from SFO-ATL. Sat on the tarmac for about 2 hours before proceeding to ATL. Missed connections resulted in us staying the night in ATL and didn't leave ATL the next day until 2:40.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makeUturn
We diverted to HSV because of thunderstorms in Atlanta and set out on the tarmac for about two hours. HSV was the final destination for five of us on the plane but we were not allowed to deplane. Of course we finally got back to ATL about five minutes after the last flight to HSV had left and had to spend the night in Atlanta.
Ouch, that really hurts. While you were sitting on the tarmac, did they leave the ventilation going so that you didn't roast?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Ouch, that really hurts. While you were sitting on the tarmac, did they leave the ventilation going so that you didn't roast?
They turned it off shortly after we landed, but then about 30 minutes later, they turned it back on. I guess they were informed we'd be there for a while.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

A bunch of flights got diverted to BNA as well, and they parked them at gates and let everyone off and the terminal was a zoo.
And then there were no gates to park other flights at which delayed my BNA-DTW, making me miss my connection in DTW and have to reroute to another airport on a different delayed flight.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
There have been a few of us, myself included, that have been destined for HSV only to be a few feet from the terminal ... but hours from being home. Happened to me twice in the last year.

Lots of times, HSV gets flight diversions from ATL. Mostly see DL and WN aircraft pushed back deep waiting for clearance to continue to ATL.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
We had several in BHM as well.......the LAX-ATL flight (757) was one of the flights.....been a while since BHM saw a 757.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Both times I have been diverted -- though while not on Delta -- the pilot has asked us if the diversion airport was our final destination, so they can let you off if you so desire. Maybe it's not always standard procedure?

Side note: You know if you're from HSV because a 757 makes you perform a double-take...a rare sight in our skies. Cargo 747s, not so much.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Formulanone
Side note: You know if you're from HSV because a 757 makes you perform a double-take...a rare sight in our skies.
UPS flies a 752 to the cargo side of the house @ HSV daily.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The aircraft had wing mounted engines, so it was either the 739 or the 777. Hard to tell the difference looking straight up. Maybe somebody here knows which of those two has a blue belly with white DELTA lettering.
That would be the 77L from NRT. This one, I believe.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njf1003
A bunch of flights got diverted to BNA as well, and they parked them at gates and let everyone off and the terminal was a zoo.
The ramp was equally a zoo out there at BNA yesterday! The 777 in from PVG broke the tug when it was being pushed back...making things all sorts of interesting for a few minutes around 4pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.