Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Don’t fly DL but how is this being ridiculed? (Tamar Braxton claim)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don’t fly DL but how is this being ridiculed? (Tamar Braxton claim)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Wiretapping and privacy laws vary so wildly across states and nations that I don't believe we'll see that happen anytime soon.

Of course, it could become part of the TOS that all pax must agree to before buying / flying. Heaven help the first airline who crosses that line -- talk about PR nightmares.
What? There's no issue with wiretapping. This isn't a phone call or electronic communication being recorded. As for visual and audio, it's public space, thus no expectation of privacy. It may be private property (the plane), but it's a public space.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
sigh

again

That's the entire point of this thread. The woman who took and posted the video is very specifically arguing that her sister did nothing other than "flying while black". Thus her social media commentary and hash tags.
1) the person who shot the video is not posting in this thread, you should probably try to engage the argument here instead of falling back to responding to an argument that isn't being made here (and that you're misunderstanding to begin with)

2) All you're doing here is showing us that you don't understand what "_____ while black" means and when someone points that out you're refusing to stop for a second and consider the fact that you might be wrong.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
1) the person who shot the video is not posting in this thread, you should probably try to engage the argument here instead of falling back to responding to an argument that isn't being made here (and that you're misunderstanding to begin with)

2) All you're doing here is showing us that you don't understand what "_____ while black" means and when someone points that out you're refusing to stop for a second and consider the fact that you might be wrong.
I didn't know FT had become a place where we weren't allowed to post commentary on a news article, and instead could only post things in direct response to other poster's opinions.

As for #2 , I would argue that I do in fact understand that term. I'm not arguing what the term means or the very real experiences and consequences behind it. My argument, which you don't seem to want to pause and understand, is that I don't believe this to be a situation where the term should apply. We obviously disagree on that. That's fine and I'm willing to leave it there if you are.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:59 am
pvn
Suspended

My argument, which you don't seem to want to pause and understand, is that I don't believe this to be a situation where the term should apply.
And that argument is based on ______?

You've already mischaracterized the post (several times). The person that shot the video and posted the tweet never claimed "her sister did nothing" - that was you reading into it.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering what the sister of a celebrity does to be a 2MM DM (but not a 360 apparently).
Do you regularly get questions about what you "do to be a DM"? This seems like a really, really weird comment.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering what the sister of a celebrity does to be a 2MM DM (but not a 360 apparently).
Fly two million miles, I'd imagine.
pvn, gooselee and Howste like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:44 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you regularly get questions about what you "do to be a DM"? This seems like a really, really weird comment.
Well ... yes ... I think I'd ask anyone that I met with 2MM how they did it (and how they've put up with so much time sitting on a plane).
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
And that argument is based on ______?

You've already mischaracterized the post (several times). The person that shot the video and posted the tweet never claimed "her sister did nothing" - that was you reading into it.
Admittedly, based on my natural inclination to ask questions, desire more information, and desire more concrete confirmation of the stated position of these types of "viral" posts which all too often only show a single perspective and are conveniently limited to the parts of a video/photo/whatever that support such a perspective. But also based on the content of the post itself, and more importantly the absence of other content like even a description of what precipitated the parts that were actually filmed/posted.

I could equally say that you are reading into the video/post in your apparent position that the pilot's reaction was not appropriate given whatever prior actions occurred, and that his actions were possibly impacted by their race. You're welcome to do that, and it's one valid interpretation. So you and I read into this viral post/video in two different ways, when in reality neither of us have actual evidence one way or another.

And in that way, I guess these ladies are the real winners here, because their video got them our attention for the past half a day, and the full explanation of this event will probably never actually be known to anyone who wasn't there.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:53 am
pvn
Suspended

I could equally say that you are reading into the video/post in your apparent position that the pilot's reaction was not appropriate
You could say that, but I haven't made any such judgement of the pilot's actions.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
You could say that, but I haven't made any such judgement of the pilot's actions.
Ahh, but now we're getting into how one statement could imply another (or how the absence of a statement could equally imply something else).

Look, I honestly think you and I are probably far more aligned on the larger race issues in society than this exchange might suggest. And I think we both agree that neither of us know enough about the situation this thread is about. We can leave it there.

For all I know, the pilot could have just come from a flight where he was trying to deplane all the pax for "comfort" even though the a/c was working, pissed off because the FAs on that flight tried to overrule him, and decided to take that out on some perfectly lovely relatives of a former celebrity.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james318
Hardly a one-hit wonder.
Yeah, I don't know what else offhand, but she was performing in Vegas for a while (I know, not necessarily the epitome of celebrity, but hey, if Celine and Britney do it...). Her face was plastered on the entire facade of the Flamingo (IIRC).
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
eck, in this situation the passenger's sister is the one who recorded and publicized the incident, the passenger herself hasn't said or done a thing, but that hasn't stopped half this thread from attacking her.
Did you read the linked article?
Page Six: We hear that, after boarding the plane, Tamar and others in her group exhibited unusual behavior and tried to deplane and leave their baggage on board, which is in violation of federal law. It appears the group tried to purposely delay the flight, which prompted flight attendants to address the group. When they didn’t comply, the pilot got involved.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have no clue who Tamar Braxton is, but I believe there is an FT rule that, if you’re going to link an article, you’d better provide a summary.
Actually, the rule contains the following exception:
FlyerTalk Rule 7

Linking To Content On Other Websites

Exceptions to this rule include:

Linking to the websites of established news organizations or to company press releases with details of an ongoing news event (such as an airline or hotel incident). In such a case, merely providing the headline of the new item along with a link to it, without posting additional content, is allowable.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I remember when a Delta TA said to me, you don't look like you belong in 1st class and wanted to send me to the other side of T2 to check in. 10 years ago I think I posted about it here. I tried to figure out if it was the way I acted what I was wearing and then it dawned on me it was because of who I was.

But I think nowadays, people don't look to see what they may have done and go straight for the who they are as the reason. Not that sometimes it isn't justified.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by TWA884
Did you read the linked article?
I did, thanks for checking though. Did you read the post I was responding to, or just choose to deliberately truncate and misconstrue my response?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I did, thanks for checking though. Did you read the post I was responding to, or just choose to deliberately truncate and misconstrue my response?

Of course I read HWGeeks' post to which you were responding in its entirety. I also read HWGeeks' reply to your post which I quoted.

You implied that Tamar was being unfairly criticized in this thread because of her race and "celebrity" status, not her behavior. That's why I wondered whether you read the linked article with the description of the behavior which resulted in the captain's scolding.

IMHO, @HWGeeks is right on the money. Tamar is being criticized for her behavior, which is a fair subject for scorn, not the color of her skin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.