Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Don’t fly DL but how is this being ridiculed? (Tamar Braxton claim)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don’t fly DL but how is this being ridiculed? (Tamar Braxton claim)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Anyone have more facts or links to clearer explanations of what happened here?

Without those, discussion appears to me to be moving a little towards the incendiary and accusatory on both sides.

That said, issues of race can certainly play into poor behavior and assumptions of ill-will on all sides, one party assuming they're being targeted because of race and behaving less than courteously as a result, then the other party or side reacting with more aggression or scorn because of race etc. That can be a destructive dynamic which leads to quick escalations.

The question is, IMO, not how to assign blame, but how to avoid and de-escalate such situations, and what training and procedures on the Delta side might work towards that goal.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kthomas
Anyone have more facts or links to clearer explanations of what happened here?

Without those, discussion appears to me to be moving a little towards the incendiary and accusatory on both sides.

That said, issues of race can certainly play into poor behavior and assumptions of ill-will on all sides, one party assuming they're being targeted because of race and behaving less than courteously as a result, then the other party or side reacting with more aggression or scorn because of race etc. That can be a destructive dynamic which leads to quick escalations.

The question is, IMO, not how to assign blame, but how to avoid and de-escalate such situations, and what training and procedures on the Delta side might work towards that goal.
Ignoring the reasons the situation got to the point it did, how should the pilot have acted differently?

I think it's safe to assume the ladies had been interacting with flight crew to some extent before he arrived and the video started.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This is why I always carry my White Privilege Card everywhere I go.

Don’t leave home without it.
enviroian, kthomas and gooselee like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:35 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Toni's sister, apparently!
And who is Toni?
amanuensis likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
How long before body cams are ordered for FAs and pilots?
There was a brief pilot onboard a regional jet operator (either one of Delta's or Alaska's operators) that placed very obvious cameras in the upper left corner of the bulkhead aimed at the cabin. I definitely flew onboard at least one affected flight. Not sure what became of that, but I haven't seen them recently. (Also having trouble finding relevant online discussion; this was several years ago, but FT's search feature is failing me.)

I'm sure many more aircraft actually do have cctv coverage we don't know about that's less visually obvious, of course.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Ignoring the reasons the situation got to the point it did, how should the pilot have acted differently?
That is an excellent question and one that I'm not qualified to answer immediately.

It seems to me that we want pilots to operate with command authority, and that's critical to this situation.

On the other hand, all else aside here, perhaps a little self-effacement or humour would have calmed things down a bit, something along the lines of "I don't know what happened here, but we're trying to get off the ground here and not head back to the gate. That's going to take you doing X,Y, and Z."

Of course, the difference between what I just wrote and the tone I have in my mind, and what the captain did, is pretty subtle at best, isn't it?
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Pilot seemed to do a good job? It seems most pilots would probably just be like "kick them off", this one at least gave her one more chance to behave. Of course these D-list singers/celebrities will play the DYKWIA and race card.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Who the h377 is Tamar Braxton?
never heard of her.

"celebrity"??

Looks like some pull the race card idiot in E- 67B seat looking for 52 seconds of fame.

Next ....
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JBa
And who is Toni?
some one hit wonder "unbreak my heart" person from 26 years ago.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by enviroian
some one hit wonder "unbreak my heart" person from 26 years ago.
Hardly a one-hit wonder.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
OK, "no good reason". I don't consider being black a reason for a lecture.
That's... kinda the point.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
That's... kinda the point.
I'm not sure what *your* point is. Mine is that something actively prompted the pilot to have this interaction. And that something was almost certainly more than just the pax being black.

I imagine a pilot who felt and acted upon the need to have this conversation with every non-white pax they notice would not get far enough in their career to set foot in the cockpit of a major commercial airline.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm not sure what *your* point is. Mine is that something actively prompted the pilot to have this interaction. And that something was almost certainly more than just the pax being black.

I imagine a pilot who felt and acted upon the need to have this conversation with every non-white pax they notice would not get far enough in their career to set foot in the cockpit of a major commercial airline.
sigh

again

this is a strawman argument. literally nobody is arguing that the person here did nothing other than "be black". That's not how this sort of thing works.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm wondering what the sister of a celebrity does to be a 2MM DM (but not a 360 apparently).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
sigh

again

this is a strawman argument. literally nobody is arguing that the person here did nothing other than "be black". That's not how this sort of thing works.
sigh

again

That's the entire point of this thread. The woman who took and posted the video is very specifically arguing that her sister did nothing other than "flying while black". Thus her social media commentary and hash tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.