FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta to Vietnam Airlines transfer at ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1922682-delta-vietnam-airlines-transfer-icn.html)

ferd57 Jul 31, 2018 10:52 am

Delta to Vietnam Airlines transfer at ICN

This Saturday I am flying from ATL to ICN on Delta arriving at ICN at 4am. I then have a Vietnam airlines flight at 10am to SGN. They are in two separate tickets. I believe that even though they are both skyteam, Delta will NOT check my bags all the way to SGN since they are two separate tickets (one bought on delta the other bough on Vietnam airlines). If that is the case, does that mean that I have to do immigration/passport control at ICN, collect my bag, and re-check outside of the security area, or is there a way that I can collect my bags and transfer without doing passport control. I know Vietnam airlines departs from terminal 1. I have looked in the ICN site but can not find information if the bag is NOT tagged all the way to my final destination. Thank you in advance.

acrophobia Jul 31, 2018 10:58 am

Pretty sure the answer is “yes,” you’ll have to go through the process you described. I don’t see how you’d be able to physically access baggage claim otherwise.

It is probably worth contacting Delta to see if they can check your bags through to your final destination though.

I’ve done the same trip, with the same arrival/departure times, on numerous occasions but always on a single itinerary.

frankflieslots Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

you should be able to check your bags all the way providing the 2nd ticket to the gate agent. it all depends on who checks you in. i have had agents who would and would not previously. keep in mind that delta arrives in terminal 2 in ICN and vietnam leaves out of terminal 1. if you stay within the secured area (not leaving the terminal), the trams runs very often and would take you no more than 10 minutes to get from T2 to T1. however, if you have to get out to collect your bags, then you will have to get on a shuttle. that i won't be able to help you out since i have not used that service myself. i tend to stick with the same terminal. good luck!

drminn Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

I have had Delta check my luggage through on two different tickets, as said above, it very much depends on who checks you in. And frankly, having all the information i.e. ticket numbers etc and a little persistence helps.

ferd57 Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm

Thank you all very much, this is very helpful. I will get to the airport early and try to use my charm to get the bags checked :-)

tvnwz Jul 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by drminn (Post 30032248)
I have had Delta check my luggage through on two different tickets, as said above, it very much depends on who checks you in. And frankly, having all the information i.e. ticket numbers etc and a little persistence helps.

And a $20 bill...

xxdboixx Jul 31, 2018 5:26 pm

DL has an interline agreement with VN. Give the ATL checkin agent a copy of your itinerary and they can interline your baggage all the way to your destination. If they say no, ask for a red coat. A red coat will know how to interline. Once in ICN, VN operates both out of term 1 and 2. DL will land at term 2. Double check your term and follow transit directions. Good luck!

flyerCO Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by xxdboixx (Post 30033557)
DL has an interline agreement with VN. Give the ATL checkin agent a copy of your itinerary and they can interline your baggage all the way to your destination. If they say no, ask for a red coat. A red coat will know how to interline. Once in ICN, VN operates both out of term 1 and 2. DL will land at term 2. Double check your term and follow transit directions. Good luck!

DL policy technically doesn't include VN as eligible for through checking across tickets. An agent may do so as a favor, but is not required to do so.

drchrysler Aug 1, 2018 10:22 am

I've had good luck with thru checking bags on separate tickets between DL and VN both ways. The DL agent on the way out acted like it was no big deal and had it all said and done in 5 minutes.

On the way back from HAN, the VN agent seemed to have some issues doing it on her computer and she had to go to the VN ticketing desk to have them do it but in the end, they were at least able to thru check it

BenA Aug 1, 2018 10:43 am

By policy, DL will not interline bags in this situation:

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

It can’t hurt to ask an agent, of course, but you should plan on reclaiming in ICN and be pleasantly surprised if you don’t have to. In my experience, most frontline staff have been well trained in this policy and enforce it as written, though.

You will probably have better luck in the reverse direction when checking in with VN, though.

If it’s at all possible to travel with carryons only, that would be my strong suggestion in this situation...

TheHorta Aug 1, 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ferd57 (Post 30032863)
Thank you all very much, this is very helpful. I will get to the airport early and try to use my charm to get the bags checked :-)

Just don’t try to use your “Lucky Charms” to get your bags checked. They frown on that kinda stuff today.