Search

First time on Delta (and to the U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
First time on Delta (and to the U.S.)

Hi,

Entry level questions: I'm flying DUB-JFK-ATL-EZE and thence EZE-ATL-JFK-BRU in a few weeks.

I have my ESTA sorted. I understand that in the U.S. I need to collect my bag when I enter the country, but I also understand I cross the U.S. border in Ireland, so to speak. So when I get to both JFK and Atlanta, I just proceed to security and to the next gate? On the return, do I collect and drop any checked bag in Atlanta? Or both Atlanta and JFK?

Second: the ticket they sent me by email says cabin baggage, then first and then second, with either the word free, included or a price underneath it. I assume the 'first' and 'second' refers to checked baggage (giving me a free allowance of 1 bag)? Then why do they differentiate between 'free' and 'included'?

The ticket class appears to be both T and V at different stages, in case it makes a difference.

Thank you all
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
As you indicated, DUB has US Preclearance in DUB (a rare exception to the rule - only Canada, DUB/SNN, and randomly AUH have this). This means that there are US CBP agents who are stationed in DUB who will process your entry into the US before you enter the gate area, so when you arrive in JFK, it'll be like any domestic flight.

Once you arrive in JFK, you'll just proceed to your gate for ATL like any other arriving domestic flight (could be T2 or T4, but most likely T4). Your checked bag will be transferred automatically. If you have to switch terminals, there are signs for a shuttle bus (post-security) called the JFK Jitney that transfers between the two terminals.

On the return, you'll go through immigration in ATL, pick up your bag, walk it through customs, then drop it back off on a belt for your flight to JFK (and then on to BRU). ATL does have international-to-international connections where you don't have to grab your bag, but I'm not sure if that applies if you have a domestic connection to another international flight - my guess is no (someone else might be able to chime in here).

The "first" and "second" nomenclature in the e-mail does refer to checked bags. I think they refer to carry-on bags as free to delineate versus some ULCCs where carry-ons have a charge; the term "included" for your checked bag means included in your fare. It's more confusing than it needs to be, but either way, you won't have to pay anything extra as long as your checked bag isn't overweight or oversized.

I'm assuming it's too late now, but any reason you're not doing DUB-ATL and ATL-BRU directly? The JFK segments pile on a lot of extra connecting time on what will already be a pretty grueling itinerary.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
On your outbound you will not need to collect luggage or clear security in JFK or ATL. You will walk of the plane in both airports and just go to your next gate.

On your return you will need to collect bags in ATL, clear customs and immigration, then clear security. Once that is complete you can go to your flight to JFK. In JFK you will just need to go to your flight to BRU. No need to clear security or collect luggage.

You are correct on the baggage - each icon represents the first and second checked bag. I can't explain why the differentiation between free and included.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cory6188
As you indicated, DUB has US Preclearance in DUB (a rare exception to the rule - only Canada, DUB/SNN, and randomly AUH have this). This means that there are US CBP agents who are stationed in DUB who will process your entry into the US before you enter the gate area, so when you arrive in JFK, it'll be like any domestic flight.

Once you arrive in JFK, you'll just proceed to your gate for ATL like any other arriving domestic flight (could be T2 or T4, but most likely T4). Your checked bag will be transferred automatically. If you have to switch terminals, there are signs for a shuttle bus (post-security) called the JFK Jitney that transfers between the two terminals.

On the return, you'll go through immigration in ATL, pick up your bag, walk it through customs, then drop it back off on a belt for your flight to JFK (and then on to BRU). ATL does have international-to-international connections where you don't have to grab your bag, but I'm not sure if that applies if you have a domestic connection to another international flight - my guess is no (someone else might be able to chime in here).

The "first" and "second" nomenclature in the e-mail does refer to checked bags. I think they refer to carry-on bags as free to delineate versus some ULCCs where carry-ons have a charge; the term "included" for your checked bag means included in your fare. It's more confusing than it needs to be, but either way, you won't have to pay anything extra as long as your checked bag isn't overweight or oversized.

I'm assuming it's too late now, but any reason you're not doing DUB-ATL and ATL-BRU directly? The JFK segments pile on a lot of extra connecting time on what will already be a pretty grueling itinerary.
Correct on bags in ATL. Only ITI works. Can't connect ITDTI and have bags transfer. Thus if a schedule change occurs getting moved to ATL-BRU nonstop would mean one less step with bags. Regardless still must clear immigration.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you one and all, these replies have been very detailed and useful. I appreciate the time.

Unfortunately, I am very restricted on dates, as I'm leaving our family holiday in Ireland to travel to this conference in Argentina so I want to leave at the last possible minute. Also unfortunately, our travel rules say that we have to take the cheapest reasonable option within a margin of about €100; the direct flights were out of this bracket, so I'm taking the slow train to Georgia. On the way back I have engineered nearly a 10 hour layover in JFK before the Brussels flight. I'm hoping I will be able to hop into the city for at least an hour or so - I hope this won't have implications on luggage? I've never been to the U.S. before so I thought I would go and investigate the fuss. But yes, I'm going to be utterly exhausted by the end of this. RIP my lower back. I only recently checked my booking and there was indeed a schedule change - my JFK - ATL flight got extended by 5 minutes; is Atlanta moving further away?

P.S. any tips on seats? I think for long haul I have 763 and 764 as well as 333. All have some kind of IFE in the seat back? Any things to watch for when selecting seats beyond the usual?

Last edited by maastrichtmouse; Jul 31, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
I'm hoping I will be able to hop into the city for at least an hour or so - I hope this won't have implications on luggage? I've never been to the U.S. before so I thought I would go and investigate the fuss.
10 hours at JFK is plenty of time to go into the city. It usually takes about an hour each way. You need to be back at the airport 2 hours before departure, so leave Manhattan at least 3 hours before departure, maybe 3.5 hours to be safe. That still leaves you 3-4 hours in the city, and if you've never been, I think it's worth it. If you can share a few specific types of things you enjoy, I am sure many on here will be glad to offer suggestions. You will probably want to take the LIRR to Penn Station.

P.S. any tips on seats? I think for long haul I have 763 and 764 as well as 333. All have some kind of IFE in the seat back? Any things to watch for when selecting seats beyond the usual?
All seats should have good IFE. Seats in the front of coach will have full power plugs, others just USB. If you can pay to upgrade to Comfort + you will be more comfortable. I prefer the bulk head seats in coach on all of these a/c.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Thank you one and all, these replies have been very detailed and useful. I appreciate the time.

Unfortunately, I am very restricted on dates, as I'm leaving our family holiday in Ireland to travel to this conference in Argentina so I want to leave at the last possible minute. Also unfortunately, our travel rules say that we have to take the cheapest reasonable option within a margin of about €100; the direct flights were out of this bracket, so I'm taking the slow train to Georgia. On the way back I have engineered nearly a 10 hour layover in JFK before the Brussels flight. I'm hoping I will be able to hop into the city for at least an hour or so - I hope this won't have implications on luggage? I've never been to the U.S. before so I thought I would go and investigate the fuss. But yes, I'm going to be utterly exhausted by the end of this. RIP my lower back. I only recently checked my booking and there was indeed a schedule change - my JFK - ATL flight got extended by 5 minutes; is Atlanta moving further away?

Watch for those schedule changes! If you get one big enough (5 minutes is not big enough), the world becomes your oyster and you can change your routing to pretty much anything you want on DL as long as your origin and destination remain the same.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
As you indicated, DUB has US Preclearance in DUB (a rare exception to the rule - only Canada, DUB/SNN, and randomly AUH have this).
And NAS, FPO, BDA, and AUA.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That still leaves you 3-4 hours in the city, and if you've never been, I think it's worth it. If you can share a few specific types of things you enjoy, I am sure many on here will be glad to offer suggestions. You will probably want to take the LIRR to Penn Station.
There's a forum specific to New York City, I'd recommend maastrichtmouse post there for detailed recommendations, including transport advice, there will be no shortage of them!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:42 am

Looks like the connection time is 7.5 hours on DUB-ATL-EZE and 12.5 hours on EZE-ATL-BRU. Much shorter connections are available with KL in AMS, AZ (FCO), UX (MAD), or AF (CDG), although AF doesn't serve BRU, and AZ doesn't serve DUB.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

10 hours at JFK is plenty of time to go into the city. It usually takes about an hour each way. You need to be back at the airport 2 hours before departure, so leave Manhattan at least 3 hours before departure, maybe 3.5 hours to be safe. That still leaves you 3-4 hours in the city, and if you've never been, I think it's worth it. If you can share a few specific types of things you enjoy, I am sure many on here will be glad to offer suggestions. You will probably want to take the LIRR to Penn Station.

All seats should have good IFE. Seats in the front of coach will have full power plugs, others just USB. If you can pay to upgrade to Comfort + you will be more comfortable. I prefer the bulk head seats in coach on all of these a/c.
Thank you!
Perfect! I was hoping this might be the case. I wish it were longer, but 3 or so hours in New York will have to suffice for this trip.

Interests tend towards museums and my stomach. However, not sure I would have time to really full commit to a museum. With that in mind my thought was vaguely Top of the Rock (informed better than the Empire State Building) and perhaps the ferry that allows you to see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty. However, I am very open to suggestions, especially on the best food to eat.

I will ask about the upgrade to Comfort+, I'll see if my budget can cover it on one of the overnight legs. When you say bulk head - bulk head in front of you or behind you?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Depending on where you're going, it may be marginally quicker/cheaper to take the airtrain to Sutphin Blvd, and then take the E train into Manhattan. It runs express for most of the trip (except on weekends!).
indufan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Watch for those schedule changes! If you get one big enough (5 minutes is not big enough), the world becomes your oyster and you can change your routing to pretty much anything you want on DL as long as your origin and destination remain the same.
I had never thought to look in the website for my booking, but now I see they don't email schedule changes I will keep a closer eye on it. It would be splendid to be put on the Dublin - Atlanta direct service, but I would like my long stop over in New York on the way back. This entire trip features new continents for me, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Thank you for the tip!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Terrific recommendation, I will go and browse over there for ideas. I'm not sure I can say I will do NYC justice in 3 hours, but I will see what mischief I can manage.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cruss74
Looks like the connection time is 7.5 hours on DUB-ATL-EZE and 12.5 hours on EZE-ATL-BRU. Much shorter connections are available with KL in AMS, AZ (FCO), UX (MAD), or AF (CDG), although AF doesn't serve BRU, and AZ doesn't serve DUB.
Yes, unfortunately I was very hamstrung by the timing of the conference and needing to start in Dublin rather than the more usual Brussels.

At the time of booking, these more friendly itineraries were vastly more expensive. This itinerary was around €600 and change, whereas the next best option was north of €1000. We have a small amount of discretion when booking flights, but not that much. Absent any schedule changes I am resigned to my fate and looking to make the best of a bad job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.