Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IRROPS Question

I haven't been in this situation before, so any help would be appreciated.

Plane departed two hours late from JFK and I missed my connecting flight home. Delta is offering discounted hotel voucher. Is that standard or should I stand firm for the full hotel cost reimbursement?

we were initially delayed because cargo doors were open after we had watched safety video and, we thought, ready to depart. Then planes were ahead of us for takeoff. Delta is calling it a tower issue.

any advice appreciated. I'm not being greedy, but this feels unfair given I did nothing wrong.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This sounds like a grey area. It sounds like DL may have contributed to the delay but that in the end ATC caused it?

I think you should push for full hotel, but if DL has the delay recorded as ATC fault then they may not budge. Your gold status could help, depending on who you speak with. Look for someone friendly, perhaps in the lounge if possible. Also, did you purchase travel insurance or does the credit card you used to purchase the ticket have it? If so you could get coverage there.

Sorry about the delay, and also if you end up having to pay for the hotel.

What city are you stuck in?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The airlines like to use the excuse that is most favorable to them. The issue was a DL employee's mistake, it went from there. As such, I would push for full re-imbursement.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, both! I'm in ATL. I'll push for full reimbursement tomorrow. I do have travel insurance and thought of that only after I posted. It's still Delta's fault. We arrived right at 11:]0 p.m., so the Sky Clubs were closed (At least that's the posted closing time in Concourse A). Our JFK flight wasn't the only one dumping people here for the night, so there were 40 or more people in line for help.

Thanks, again, for responding quickly.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The airlines like to use the excuse that is most favorable to them. The issue was a DL employee's mistake, it went from there. As such, I would push for full re-imbursement.

The issue, however, is that OP will have to try to convince a DL agent who is not even at the station where the delay occurred. All that agent will have access to is what the computer says, so it will depend on any discretion that agent has.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:28 pm

Honestly if you have travel insurance that's probably just going to be easier that fighting with DL. Hope you end up at a decent hotel.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
I haven't been in this situation before, so any help would be appreciated.

Plane departed two hours late from JFK and I missed my connecting flight home. Delta is offering discounted hotel voucher. Is that standard or should I stand firm for the full hotel cost reimbursement?

we were initially delayed because cargo doors were open after we had watched safety video and, we thought, ready to depart. Then planes were ahead of us for takeoff. Delta is calling it a tower issue.

any advice appreciated. I'm not being greedy, but this feels unfair given I did nothing wrong.
Are you sure they haven't run out of contracted rooms? Even if they're on the hook, if the room allotment is up, they can't give you a room. Instead they give a voucher and then you must get reimbursed.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
If I am arriving after 11pm and there's a 40+ line at the CS desk, my rough thoughts are: 1) Check the DL app to see I am auto-rebooked. If I like it, great. If not, then call DL. 2) Find a kiosk to see if you can your new BPs printed. I've heard (but can't confirm) that the kiosk may print out hotel vouchers as well. 3) If necessary, book my own hotel and submit the receipt to DL afterwards. At that hour, my time is important, and I have no desire to wait in a 40+ line to get a voucher to an unknown hotel. Believe me, sometimes you DO NOT WANT the offered hotel from DL. (My wife had a very bad experience with some no-name motel near ATL that DL sent her.)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for additional replies. I'm exhsusted, so apologize if my brevity seems curt. App did not show me rebooked (it did earlier when the KEF delay of 3+ hours started thIs cascade). I took the voucher, scurried over to a sest, sent out my query to the FT community and am now about to crash in a worn-down looking hotel with a good air conditioner and and not horrible bed. Just wanted to know if this is worth fighting on principle, and it is--but I most likely won't win.

Will let you know the resolution later today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.