Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to try Delta One...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:00 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Out of HNL, I would look for a long leg on a DeltaOne-equipped flight; HNL to MSP, ATL, and JFK (the last being seasonal) come to mind. Please note that Delta has a wide variety of seats that they offer for DeltaOne that vary per aircraft. I prefer the seats on the Airbus 330 over the Airbus 350, Boeing 757, Boeing 767, and Boeing 777 in that order. You can also fly HNL to SFO or LAX with a segment to JFK in the Premium Transcon product.

Out of JFK, I would suggest looking at flights to or via LHR as there are some nice benefits afforded to Platinum and Diamond members including access to the superior Virgin Clubhouse lounges at JFK and LHR and the Virgin Arrivals Lounge at LHR.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Yank1
I figured I could find somewhere cool to fly to from HNL using my 1K voucher and try for Delta One without coming too much out of pocket.

My alternative would be to forget all about HNL and fly back home to NY and pretty much start over - use 1K voucher to try to fly somewhere cool Delta One out of NY.
If you have date flexibility, there are often $2k - $3k/rt TATL sale fares from JFK to many place in Europe, but these are typically during the summer and winter holidays (including Thanksgiving). JFK-FRA is often available around $3k/rt even outside the holidays due to competition on the route, though it's also on a 767 which might not be the best product. IMO these are better values than the domestic TCONs, though for more $ out of pocket.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Its not that great
pvn and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Its not that great
For the jaded, seasoned traveler perhaps, but for someone who has never flown up front before it will be much better than coach, regardless of the product. (Even if "never flown Delta One" means "I've flown other J products", there's something to be said for trying the competition for first hand experience.)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
For the jaded, seasoned traveler perhaps, but for someone who has never flown up front before it will be much better than coach, regardless of the product. (Even if "never flown Delta One" means "I've flown other J products", there's something to be said for trying the competition for first hand experience.)

Agreed. It's very easy to forget just how great it is to fly through the air while in a flat bed seat being served a multi-course meal and drinking fine wine and cocktails (well, at least better than average wine in DL's case).
gooselee and Gig103 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bennos
Yes, it's better than coach, a lot better.

But if I didn't have a particular place to go and I was just looking for a way to kill 6 hours, this wouldn't be it.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pvn

But if I didn't have a particular place to go and I was just looking for a way to kill 6 hours, this wouldn't be it.
And some of us have felt differently. ("It's way too hot this summer, and we don't have central air conditioning. What to do?" "How about flying to AMS and back? D1 is available.")
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn

But you had a $1k voucher for DL and free time on your hands, wouldn't you want to go someplace lovely and travel there in style?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Even though it might not be the best D1 service, I'd say fly to Japan, Delta has direct flights from HNL to Japan and Japan is a great place to stop for a short trip. It's far and away the most interesting D1 destination from HNL... and you're much closer to Japan in HNL than back home.

Of course, if you don't care about the destination, then maybe not. Just depends if you really want the little D1 extras or just want the hard product.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 31, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But you had a $1k voucher for DL and free time on your hands, wouldn't you want to go someplace lovely and travel there in style?
I'd probably go multiple places in coach instead. But to my point, OP wasn't interested in going somewhere, he was interested in sitting in a chair that folds down for a few hours and eating some reheating microwave dinner. Which, hey, whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying it's not my idea of a good time.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Even though it might not be the best D1 service, I'd say fly to Japan, Delta has direct flights from HNL to Japan and Japan is a great place to stop for a short trip. It's far and away the most interesting D1 destination from HNL... and you're much closer to Japan in HNL than back home.

Of course, if you don't care about the destination, then maybe not. Just depends if you really want the little D1 extras or just want the hard product.
This would be my suggestion too. Maybe fly into Osaka and out of Tokyo and spend a few days in between. Japan is a wonderful country to visit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.