Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best way to pay for SkyClub?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

best way to pay for SkyClub?

I'm one of those flyers who had a 3 year SkyClub membership extended a couple times due to being Diamond. My extensions will be running out soon, and I'm trying to decide how best to keep access to SkyClub.

If you were me, would you:
  • pay $450 per year for Reserve (in my case I'd be upgrading from an Delta Platinum Amex)
  • cash in 47K miles for a year's individual membership (or multiples of, for multiple years)
  • is there another option I didn't think of, besides paying for a membership outright (which is as expensive as getting AmexReserve).
I'm tempted to go the SkyMiles redemption route, even though the cost is pretty close to Delta's standard pay-with-miles costs, since I can almost never use my miles to upgrade flights on any routes I fly.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you still going to be diamond? You could use your choice benefits.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Are you still going to be diamond? You could use your choice benefits.
Nope. Plat is where I'm at. My diamond days are over for a while. Twas good while it lasted.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you don't care about the MQM boost, the other choice would be a regular unbranded Amex platinum. It's more than the Reserve card but you get a $200 airline fee credit and a $200 worth of uber credits.
wxman22, Duke787, yuzheny and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I haven't kept up with all the recent changes (VA Gold gets domestic club access, even when DL Plat doesn't!), but aren't there cards which grant you access for $29? Depending on how often you use the club, that might be a better deal.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
If you don't care about the MQM boost, the other choice would be a regular unbranded Amex platinum.
Do guests/traveling companions on this card also have to pay $29 for a single visit?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall

Do guests/traveling companions on this card also have to pay $29 for a single visit?
Yes. You can bring up to 2 guests and they each will be charged $29 on your card.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Yes. You can bring up to 2 guests and they each will be charged $29 on your card.
b.t.w., the guest rate is 2500 SkyMiles. In case they are burning a hole in your pocket.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:24 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Note that on the (non-SkyMiles) Amex Platinum, the $29 Sky Club guest fees can be paid from your $200 per calendar year airline fee credit assuming you picked DL as your airline. (Which seems likely in the OP's case.) If you're at an airport with a Centurion Lounge, other Amex-network lounge, and/or Priority Pass you can bring in two guests for free there.

At my home base of SEA, I go to the Sky Club if it's just me and use the Centurion Lounge or one of the The Club locations if I have guests. At MSP, I use the Escape Lounge (not a PP lounge, but free to Amex Platinum cardholders). At DTW or BOS it's the Sky Club or nothing, so I pay the guest fee.
Duke787 and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Note that on the (non-SkyMiles) Amex Platinum, the $29 Sky Club guest fees can be paid from your $200 per calendar year airline fee credit assuming you picked DL as your airline. (Which seems likely in the OP's case.) If you're at an airport with a Centurion Lounge, other Amex-network lounge, and/or Priority Pass you can bring in two guests for free there.

At my home base of SEA, I go to the Sky Club if it's just me and use the Centurion Lounge or one of the The Club locations if I have guests. At MSP, I use the Escape Lounge (not a PP lounge, but free to Amex Platinum cardholders). At DTW or BOS it's the Sky Club or nothing, so I pay the guest fee.
+1. Unbrand AMEX Platinum is best if you are flying solo most of the time. You'll get SkyClub access anyway as Plat if flying international, you get 2x into the Centurion lounges and PP lounges, so it's just the need to pay $29 if with a companion for the SkyClub. You should be able to do the math based on how often you think you'll need a +1 or +2 on a non-international itinerary.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
If you're still a DL loyalist, the Reserve card gets SC access, 30K in MQM boosts, Sky Priority, and checked bags, not to mention SMs (for which the AX Plat is admittedly better) -- PLUS you get an annual free first class companion certificate, which could easily be worth 2-3 times the $450 annual fee. If you get your significant other a card, they will get the SC benefit as well.

If you're more agnostic, then the unbranded card is obviously better -- but the CSR is probably better still.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
For me the reserve is the best option, I usually WFBF and the companion certificate plus lounge access more than makes up for the annual fee
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:10 am

Sat in Sky club now sad that I only will have access for 6 more months. As I don't fly delta
So no more $450 fees
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Pay $95 per year and get the Amex HHonors Ascend card. It will give you Priority Pass valid for 10 lounge visits each year. (In SFO you won't get into Sky Club but you will be able to go to the Air France-KLM Lounge.) It will give you a number of extra benefits (paying for "incidentals" like baggage fees GE/or Pre-Check), and some others.

Last edited by Dovster; Jul 29, 2018 at 9:05 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:14 am

I would vote for Amex Plat if you travel solo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.