Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BOS-SFO Delta One Ending?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Flew D1 BOS-SFO twice this month on the 7 am flight. Meal design and execution, even by airline standards, was terrible. Not sure why they go to the expense to print an international-quality menu to serve up such stuff. I have had much better breakfast offerings on standard domestic F breakfast flights.

Flight attendant service was quite good on one flight, but terribly inattentive on the second. (Just one example: Menu calls for hot mixed nuts to kick off the meal service; they didn't come out. I inquired. FA said, "I didn't get the nuts out." No apology. No getting the nuts out late. He just didn't get the nuts out and that was that.)

I just don't get why you launch an expensive-to-operate flight in a very competitive market and provide this level of inflight experience.
It is a shame the service from DL FA's has been so inconsistent. The service use to be so much better. Service by AA FA seems to be getting better now.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
You might want to remember that, just like all other flights, this route has another city at the other end of it (Boston) and that DL has a major operation there.
ive also notcied that a large percentage of the d1 cabin seems to be connecting to international at bos, im guessing this will stop with the downgrade
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Unfortunately, looking at all dates past 12/1 (possibly before) it does seem to show a domestic configured 5-row 757. I think we're seeing the first signs that B6 and UA have proven successful in pushing D1 off the route. At this point I don't see why DL even bothers to keep it when it's 1x daily for the majority of the year and only 2x daily in the summer. DL is clearly after the business contracts and why would anyone chose DL when there's now ~11-12x daily between B6/UA with flat beds.

It's worth noting that DL seems to now be switching their premium focus from BOS-SFO to BOS-LAX, which UA just announced they're upgrading BOS-LAX to flat-bed 757's....so once again B6/UA/DL will be battling it out. Rumor has it that AA will also be announcing BOS-LAX to flat-bed 757's soon as well.

Last edited by FSUnole03; Jul 29, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
It's worth noting that DL seems to now be switching their DL focus from BOS to BOS-LAX, which UA just announced they're upgrading BOS-LAX to flat-bed 757's....so once again B6/UA/DL will be battling it out. Rumor has it that AA will also be announcing BOS-LAX to flat-bed 757's soon as well.
Don't forget AS (as a matter of fact, they fly both BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO), although they don't have the flatbeds. My point is that BOS-LAX is served by AA/AS/B6/DL/UA, quite competitive route.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
BOS-SFO pricing and yields had everything to do with B9, not UA...just like the other D1 routes DL started out of BOS matching B9 Mint
B9? Isn't that a vitamin?

DL is competing with UA ex-SFO, not B6. Though both are forced to match B6's fares.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What do you think UA did exactly to protect their hub from this 1 route?
They went 100% lie-flat on SFO-BOS.

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
At this point I don't see why DL even bothers to keep it when it's 1x daily for the majority of the year and only 2x daily in the summer. DL is clearly after the business contracts and why would anyone chose DL when there's now ~11-12x daily between B6/UA with flat beds.
DL's been making quite a push at SFO, seeking to take business away from what they perceived was a weakened UA.

​​​​​​​I do hope they're not backing off that strategy.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They went 100% lie-flat on SFO-BOS.
...and sending 360+ seat B772 on the route, sometimes twice a day.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sspontak
It is a shame the service from DL FA's has been so inconsistent. The service use to be so much better. Service by AA FA seems to be getting better now.
Don't get me wrong: I generally find DL FA service to be consistently good to very good, with a decent number of excellent/outstanding experiences thrown in there. But my last BOS-SFO experience was awful.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

DL is competing with UA ex-SFO, not B6. Though both are forced to match B6's fares.
If they are "forced to match B6's fares" then they certainly are competing with B6. Perhaps not for corporate contracts, but still for business travelers who just fly the lowest J fare.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
God, this is terrible news. I fly this route all the time, and I have to say, they weren't competing well with Jetblue apart from price. Now my business will just go to Jetblue. Poor show, Delta.

Meanwhile, KLM is restarting flights to Boston. Skyteam's operating as a well oiled machine as usual.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The reality is that demand for domestic lay-flat cabins is probably restricted to New York. Rational companies that seek to maximize shareholder value won’t pay for flat beds.

The hedge fund set and investment banks that operate primarily to steal money from clients and investors might, but rational companies won’t pay for it. While there is some hedge fund activity in Boston and SF, both markets are still dominated by companies that haven’t been completely captured by internal forces that want to make the companies their piggy bank. That is why DL is abandoning this and why UA didn’t offer flat beds until forced.

B6 is, frankly, too beholden to a NYC-centric worldview and this has led them to vastly overstretch Mint. It is the same myopic view that has seen the likes of Shake Shack and Fairway struggle outside New York. Put simply, New York isn’t representative of the rest of the country. That goes triple for the airline industry.
Gerbs likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
DL's been making quite a push at SFO, seeking to take business away from what they perceived was a weakened UA.
Complete false nonsense. DL used to run fairly regular widebodies at SFO. Now it's down to just JFK. DL used to run shuttle service to LAX and SEA. Both have been cancelled.

DL is an insignificant also-ran at SFO. UA has been terribly weak for many years; DL had a huge opportunity to hit them and make a dent in their fortress hub. DL absolutely has not done that.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by caliform
Meanwhile, KLM is restarting flights to Boston. Skyteam's operating as a well oiled machine as usual.
This is something that might not have been considered. Maybe KLM grew concerned that a flat bed product for a 4-6 hour flight would not fit with their desire to sell a coach product as business class on similar stage lengths. Perhaps this is part of Skyteam’s well-oiled machine after all!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by pbarnette

This is something that might not have been considered. Maybe KLM grew concerned that a flat bed product for a 4-6 hour flight would not fit with their desire to sell a coach product as business class on similar stage lengths. Perhaps this is part of Skyteam’s well-oiled machine after all!
Ironically, the A330 overhaul is likely completed by the time they restart service to BOS, so that will make KLM's J product both more consistent and better than Delta's offering, outside of refurb 77W/A350s.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by caliform
Ironically, the A330 overhaul is likely completed by the time they restart service to BOS, so that will make KLM's J product both more consistent and better than Delta's offering, outside of refurb 77W/A350s.
I disagree that KLM’s J product is better than DL’s. Maybe you could argue vs the 767, but the lack of all-aisle access is a big negative.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette

I disagree that KLM’s J product is better than DL’s. Maybe you could argue vs the 767, but the lack of all-aisle access is a big negative.
I assume the A330 is getting the same as 787, which is all aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.