What does "Business Trip" Mean

Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I noticed yesterday that DL is telling me that I have no vacations. I assume this means no "Delta Vacations" packages, which is true as I've never used this outfit and never would, but it's potentially confusing in light of this discussion about some trips being labeled as business trips.
gooselee and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by hnewman
I am 1000% sure this is NOT correct. We are a small business and do not have a Corporate contract and I use my personal CC
You'd be 1000% incorrect. My firm has a corporate contract and this is explicitly listed as a benefit.
  • Priority Medallion Upgrades:

Flying for business really does payoff. Delta now offers ABC Corporate Travelers who are also Medallion® Members more benefits, like upgrade priority over other Medallion Members in the same Medallion group.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I noticed yesterday that DL is telling me that I have no vacations. I assume this means no "Delta Vacations" packages, which is true as I've never used this outfit and never would, but it's potentially confusing in light of this discussion about some trips being labeled as business trips.
IIRC it's been doing the 0 vacations thing for quite a while, but yes it's potentially more confusing now with the business trips labels.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
From Delta on twitter:

Part of our effort to personalize digital channels for corporate customers, this update helps those traveling under a corporate agreement or corporate rewards program to quickly identify business trips when looking through their list of itineraries. *HOS

https://twitter.com/Delta/status/1022682932819808256 https://twitter.com/Delta/status/1022682932819808256

And it only took them 15 hours and 2 tweets to answer.
So, this feature is just for the hypothetical convenience of someone with a bunch of Business and Personal trips, and unrelated to any SkyBonus or upgrade priority perks (which only apply if the relevant SB # or Ticket designator is present)?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by captaink
So, this feature is just for the hypothetical convenience of someone with a bunch of Business and Personal trips, and unrelated to any SkyBonus or upgrade priority perks (which only apply if the relevant SB # or Ticket designator is present)?
I doubt DL would have invested in this unless there's something in it on their end.

I'm betting that they wanted to be able to better identify business trips for their own internal analytics purposes, and once they had the algorithms, it was an incremental cost to roll out a customer-facing "feature" that could be used for marketing, etc.

I have no evidence of any of this, of course. It's just my opinion of how DL works.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
They might need to work on that a bit if it is supposed to mean something to them. It is, of course, irrelevant to me.

On my trip summary (five flights booked at this time), all domestic flights are labeled as business trips (two are, one isn't) and all international flights are not labeled (one is business, one is not). All are booked the same way (Delta Web site), same credit card, and without SkyBonus or corporate account. My business consists of only one person. My wife is also accompanying me on all five trips, working vacation time with the business trips, so no difference there, either.

I'd be interested in their algorithm.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Just to add to the mystery. My trip with my wife using AMEX companion certificate is listed as business. I of course booked this on DL.com It is over a weekend MSP ELP. go figure
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hnewman
I am 1000% sure this is NOT correct. We are a small business and do not have a Corporate contract and I use my personal CC
Originally Posted by james318
You'd be 1000% incorrect. My firm has a corporate contract and this is explicitly listed as a benefit.
+1. My company (large company) has the same language in their corporate contract. I can personally vouch for it's validity from the couple of times I traveled before I was Silver and now Gold.

Mine is accurate -- the trips labeled business match with my calendar and the ones that are non-business are correctly lacking the "business trip" label
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Basically makes no sense in my upcoming trips... some I booked myself are flagged at business trip, some are not, one with a companion cert is shown as business, then another flight booked through corporate travel is not showing business trip.

Seems like a totally useless and pointless feature to me.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
Seems like a totally useless and pointless feature to me.
Just like the new dullta.com horrid design that now works even worse than the earlier site on mobile and is buggy as hell.

In other words, typical DL.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
This is quite possibly the most irrelevant and pointless feature they have ever pushed out. Why do I care if it is a business trip or not? I know where I am going and why I am.

With a feature list 70 miles long that they need to fix with their IT to spend ANY resources on this tells me 2 things. They dont care what their customer wants/needs from IT and they clearly have WAY too much time on their hands.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The problem is way too many IT people who care more about appearance then functionality. The systems, web and mobile, get crappier with each iteration.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
pretty sure no one has ever claimed IT stands for “Intelligent Technology”
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is so weird. I have no designations at all (other than the 0% vacations). I have never had a corporate account, and book all through Delta.com (except for Expedia packages overseas), with my Amex Delta card, which is the only form of payment in my Delta wallet.

Reading the tweet, it is for "corporate clients" -- were some of you independent contractors formerly corporate clients?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gerstperson
Reading the tweet, it is for "corporate clients" -- were some of you independent contractors formerly corporate clients?
Nope, never been a corporate client. All trips are business, though only some of them show that way. All booked the same way through Delta.com, both domestic and int'l.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.