Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Inflight assault, man allowed to leave airport - Delta messed up

Inflight assault, man allowed to leave airport - Delta messed up

Old Jul 27, 18, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
So what is your point here? Are you saying that if a pax reports to an FA that they were just assaulted by another pax that DL should do nothing, aside from possibly reseating the reporting pax? Are you saying they should not ask airport police to meet the flight and attempt to sort it out because there is a chance that there could be an abuse of police power or a chance that the reporting pax is being untruthful? I fully agree with you that there are sometimes abuses of police power, but I am trying to understand what solution you imagine that would both provide needed protection and a path to justice for the victim and also protect the rights of an alleged perpetrator?
If there is no proof of the assault then I'm not sure what Delta is supposed to do about it. The passenger needs to go to the police and file a report. If the police department needs more information about the suspected passenger then they can ask Delta to provide the passenger details.

I could claim the person sitting next me poured something into my drink. Should that person be detained if no one else saw it happen?
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
If there is no proof of the assault then I'm not sure what Delta is supposed to do about it. The passenger needs to go to the police and file a report. If the police department needs more information about the suspected passenger then they can ask Delta to provide the passenger details.
Remember that this is an airplane. There is no way for a pax to contact police, but DL is able to do so.

I could claim the person sitting next me poured something into my drink. Should that person be detained if no one else saw it happen?
It turns out that we have laws and procedures for how this kind of thing is handled, and that the police are (most of the time) able to take care of this in a way that is respectful of everyone's rights.
CPMaverick, pvn, gooselee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Remember that this is an airplane. There is no way for a pax to contact police, but DL is able to do so.

It turns out that we have laws and procedures for how this kind of thing is handled, and that the police are (most of the time) able to take care of this in a way that is respectful of everyone's rights.
Well ok, I do think we should have laws that punish those who make false claims though. Similarly Delta should also put that person on the no-fly list. Unfortunately there are people who will do something like that for petty vengeance.
Old Jul 27, 18, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Again, you are asking for exactly what you previously said you do not want. You actually want DL to be responsible for gathering enough evidence to "prove" the assault before they take the action of informing law enforcement, who is actually trained and responsible for doing such an investigation? Your suggestion makes DL judge and jury.

And the answer to your question is yes. You didn't answer my question to you about whether the guy with your laptop should be allowed to just wander off the plane. By the time you file your own police report and authorities catch up to him, that laptop is long gone and there is no longer any evidence that he stole it. I guess you're okay with that. That, or you want FAs to be empowered to search everyone's luggage for stolen items, and to run a forensic medical exam on someone who claims to have been assaulted in flight. After all, they can't do anything until they have "proof", right?

Well ok, I do think we should have laws that punish those who make false claims though. Similarly Delta should also put that person on the no-fly list. Unfortunately there are people who will do something like that for petty vengeance.
We do. And victims of false claims can also pursue civil claims against their accusers.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post

Respectfully, your story is really a non sequitur here. This is physical, sexual assault. What you’re talking about is a different animal entirely.
Yes, nothing happened to this Delta person. In my story, the man was banned from Delta for life but not the woman, who also lied.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The man wasn't banned for "lying". According to your story, he actually said he had sleep gas. The woman didn't lie about that (according to your account of the story). But you think she should be banned for life for "lying" about ... being a ESPN reporter?
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
Can't Delta invoke its right of private property and ban individuals from flying on it as long as it is done in a non-discriminatory fashion for cause?
I don't know the answer, but I think (if my recollection of con- law is somewhat correct) airlines (similar to hotels) are subject to a somewhat higher level of scrutiny for denying service. Or something like that.
Old Jul 28, 18, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
I don't know the answer, but I think (if my recollection of con- law is somewhat correct) airlines (similar to hotels) are subject to a somewhat higher level of scrutiny for denying service. Or something like that.
Hotels/airlines aren't subject to a higher level. They can ban someone. Just can't be done in a manner that is illegally discriminatory under the law. Hotels can have issues under state law. They can go from being a hotel to being a landlord basically with all the rules that entails. However in general they're private companies and thus able ban who they want.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: