Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award ticket on KE - Anyone seen this before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to purchase an award ticket in Delta One to HKG in June, 2019. The dates I want for outbound and return are within the 330 day window, so that is not the problem. I can get a 170,000 mile fare from RIC-ATL-ICN using KE36 for ATL-ICN, and a similar return ICN-ATL-RIC. If I try doing just ATL-ICN and return it prices out at something like 380k miles! The Delta system shows 1 seat available for this fare on the day that I want, select it for the outbound, it shows one seat available at this fare for the return and I select that. It takes my credit card information (something like $90 in addition to the miles), but when I go to purchase it I get:
We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights.#100503A
I have done this four or five times, same result, even using different days. I called the Diamond line and we spent 1.5 hours going over this. They could reproduce it and never book the flights. The agent I spoke with called some supervisory desk, and they spent 20 minutes trying to get around it. The final message was no one understood the problem, and perhaps I should just try again tomorrow!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It probably falls during a KE blackout date. I believe most if not all June is included. There's inventory, but it fails to book due to blackout.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

That possibility was first suggested by the Delta agent, but we excluded it since certain days did show up as not available. Further, within this period I could book a separate ICN-HKG-ICN fare for 60k in business.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ehe123
That possibility was first suggested by the Delta agent, but we excluded it since certain days did show up as not available. Further, within this period I could book a separate ICN-HKG-ICN fare for 60k in business.
KE blackout dates dependent on the o/d of the flight. Ie US may be blacked out but Asia not. Also blackout dates are dependent on the partner, and KE can offer awards for their program, but blackout others.

May 12 - JULY 16th are blackout dates on US/ICN routes

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
SkyMiles Membership Guide & Program Rules
BLACKOUT DATES (PARTNER AIRLINE-OPERATED FLIGHTS)
Korean Air (KE)

Departing from:
North America

May 16 - July 12

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As posted by mnbp, you are within blackout period. There are several threads about this issue and DL never fixed it. You can search and book but it will not ticket KE flights during blackout period.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

The story has a happy ending. It only took 1.5 hours, but a wonderful agent on the Diamond line said that this is clearly a mistake and Delta should honor this fare, so got me a connection DTW-ICN and back on the A350 for 170k miles (which appeared as 490k when I searched).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The story has a happy ending. It only took 1.5 hours, but a wonderful agent on the Diamond line said that this is clearly a mistake and Delta should honor this fare, so got me a connection DTW-ICN and back on the A350 for 170k miles (which appeared as 490k when I searched).
A poorly trained DL agent worked in your favor.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TerryK
A poorly trained DL agent worked in your favor.
Agree. HUACA till agent does what you know is outside policy. This is what caused companies to eventually clamp down on employee discretion.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Agree. HUACA till agent does what you know is outside policy. This is what caused companies to eventually clamp down on employee discretion.
Clamping down on employee discretion is also what caused United Airlines gate agents to call the police to forcibly drag a seated passenger off an oversold plane. This caused United quite a bit more than a larger compensation offered to passengers who would volunteer for another flight.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Clamping down on employee discretion is also what caused United Airlines gate agents to call the police to forcibly drag a seated passenger off an oversold plane. This caused United quite a bit more than a larger compensation offered to passengers who would volunteer for another flight.
You're really comparing a situation where there was no clear policy ( IDBing an already boarded passenger for last minute walk up crew ) with your situation? ( clearly defined blackout dates that you didn't want to comply with )

All you did was 1)likely get an employee punished and 2)give ammo to taking away agent discretion. Sorry, but this is nothing like UA situation and you're reaching to justify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.