Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are Delta first class seats like on domestic flights?

Old Jul 24, 18, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I might have to travel last minute. Possibly going RDU-ATL-SFO (many options) or RDU-SFO (United). I'm looking at Delta because with a connection I can get seats in First class about the same price as a United non stop flight.

Am I right that Delta domestic first seats are NOT lie flat, instead they are just standard domestic seats with a little more recline?

Maybe there might be a meal and some alcohol, but not much else?
Old Jul 24, 18, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I might have to travel last minute. Possibly going RDU-ATL-SFO (many options) or RDU-SFO (United). I'm looking at Delta because with a connection I can get seats in First class about the same price as a United non stop flight.

Am I right that Delta domestic first seats are NOT lie flat, instead they are just standard domestic seats with a little more recline?

Correct. You may be able to find a lie-flat option on a non D1 flight every once an awhile but itís not common. (I donít think DL has ran an D1 763 or A330 on ATL-SFO for a few years) If you ever do find one of these options on a non-D1 flight, itís still standard domestic FC service.

Here is a picture of the seat you can expect to see in case you wanted to:

Old Jul 24, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

The seats will look the same or very similar to what MCOflyer posted, depending on the AC type. They're of the articulating recline variety, but they have deeper recline than coach so you may feel crowded if the person in front of you throws their seat all the way back. I've had situations where it is tricky getting the tray table open because the handle tab snags on the reclined seatback in front due to the relatively short pitch.

RDU-ATL will have full bar service plus a limited snack basket, ATL-SFO will include a full meal regardless of flight time, IIRC (there's a shorter mileage band where meals are only served during certain windows).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by captaink View Post
The seats will look the same or very similar to what MCOflyer posted, depending on the AC type. They're of the articulating recline variety, but they have deeper recline than coach so you may feel crowded if the person in front of you throws their seat all the way back. I've had situations where it is tricky getting the tray table open because the handle tab snags on the reclined seatback in front due to the relatively short pitch.

RDU-ATL will have full bar service plus a limited snack basket, ATL-SFO will include a full meal regardless of flight time, IIRC (there's a shorter mileage band where meals are only served during certain windows).
Depending on departure time, last flight of the night ATL-SFO probably is snack basket only - no meal. When you look at return flights, there will be no meal on redeye SFO-ATL.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

Correct. You may be able to find a lie-flat option on a non D1 flight every once an awhile but itís not common. (I donít think DL has ran an D1 763 or A330 on ATL-SFO for a few years) If you ever do find one of these options on a non-D1 flight, itís still standard domestic FC service.

Here is a picture of the seat you can expect to see in case you wanted to:

They appear here and there for ATL/SFO. However by far the exception with no regular pattern of appearance.

RDU-JFK-SFO would get Delta One on JFK-SFO.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
RDU occasionally gets connecting flights of the international 757 (that flies to CDG in the off-season - I think that route is 767 over the summer?) We've flown the Int 757 (in C+ ;-) from ATL (I think?) to RDU in the past. We flew it from somewhere - it was last year and I can't remember what trip that was. Sorry!
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They are substantially like domestic F seats on UA or AA. If the OP wants lie-flats he needs to look for Delta One cabins-- which won't be operating on his route.
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This is the new Domestic F seat that they're just now rolling out. It's a HUGE improvement over the previous F-cabin seating:

Delta's new Domestic First Class seat. It offers firm support for those with back problems.
jdrtravel and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Dropped
Nice and wide. Looks about the same comfort wise as the current batch.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
This is the new Domestic F seat that they're just now rolling out. It's a HUGE improvement over the previous F-cabin seating:

Delta's new Domestic First Class seat. It offers firm support for those with back problems.
OMG that's a wide seat, I'll take it!
TheHorta and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've flown this route on DL a number of times this year in both F and Y and previously flew the direct a number of times when I was UA loyal. I'd echo everything that's already been said. IMO it's worth the stop if F is the same price. UA in Y is miserable and there is nothing special they add to the experience despite the long length of RDU - SFO, the UA flight would only be worth considering if you are UA loyal or if the UA F price was the same as the DL F price (in which case I would probably take the direct unless DL loyal).

On DL you'll get PDB and open bar on RDU - ATL and v.v. unless there is weather and on ATL - SFO and v.v. you'll get a meal and full open bar unless you are on the late night ATL - SFO or redeye SFO - ATL. DL is also nice because the new late-night ATL - RDU flight means you can take the 2:30 SFO - ATL flight and still make the 11:56pm ATL - RDU flight and get back that night (just did this on a 24 hour trip to SFO a couple weeks ago).

I would encourage you to look at plane type, if going via DTW is an option, give it a closer look. They run more 757s on DTW - SFO vs. ATL where it's almost exclusively 739s. IMO, the 757 is superior in both F and Y vs. the 739 (though the dinner I got in F on DTW - SFO a couple months back was considerably worse than the dinner I got on SFO - ATL a couple weeks ago).
Old Jul 25, 18, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post

Do you have a FlyerTalk post quota you are shooting for?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:24 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post

Do you have a FlyerTalk post quota you are shooting for?
Iím trying to surpass MSPeconomist by the weekend.

Thanks for the boost!
SDQBound, strickerj and jdrtravel like this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The pictures of the current seats just make me yearn for the old big and comfy seats. The wings on the headrest are nice and all but the damn things are so hard. You used to sink into the old seats and really feel comfy. The news ones are horrible.
TheHorta, DLDC, strickerj and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: