Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

schedule change: 2.5 hours JFK-LGA. Do-able?

schedule change: 2.5 hours JFK-LGA. Do-able?

Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Second this one. Seems like a great opportunity to avoid a JFK to LGA ground transfer altogether. If OP is in paid D1 and doesn't have to worry about award space, the schedule change may also give OP the opportunity to move to an AZ codeshare as well, if OP would prefer AZ over DL or find another routing besides even ATL (via AMS, CDG, etc.).

OP what is your final destination?
I third this one. I cannot think of many domestic destinations DL serves via JFK but not ATL. If you're going somewhere in the NE, I understand that JFK/LGA is a much shorter connection than ATL, but the extra hassle of switching airports it would have to be a HUGE time advantage to do that...especially if there aren't multiple flights to my destination from LGA after my scheduled flight.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:03 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I've had to wait 20-30~ minutes for the LGA <--> JFK / & vv taxi at times. Be sure to take into account for that, plus, every time I've dunnit <maybe 4?>, the driver had to hunt down another person or party at the curb, and squeeeeeze all of the luggage in. Be sure to add a a little extra time for that!

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:24 pm

Here's an interesting thought. If Delta pays for transportation, would that mean any form of transportation, and for any price? Maybe if I were in your shoes, I would use that as an easy, quick, and free way to earn rental rewards with National or Hertz? Would it even be faster than the other choices, like the inter-airport bus? That assumes of course that you feel comfortable driving in NYC highway traffic.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Here's an interesting thought. If Delta pays for transportation, would that mean any form of transportation, and for any price? Maybe if I were in your shoes, I would use that as an easy, quick, and free way to earn rental rewards with National or Hertz? Would it even be faster than the other choices, like the inter-airport bus? That assumes of course that you feel comfortable driving in NYC highway traffic.
Of course not. Come on stop with the ludicrous . DL has a contract with a taxi company (black limos) called I believe, ExecuCar. Same company they use for IRROPS passengers to hotels.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Is OP's goal to get a free ride JFK-LGA, or is OP's goal to get XXX-NYC-YYY?

Per the EF quote in post #4 , MCT on DL for a JFK-LGA connection is three hours, not 2.5 hours.

My suggestion to OP is to take advantage of the now-illegal connection, and rebook (for free) the legal routing you want - and skip the JFK-LGA adventure.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With an illegal connection, you'll get a better outcome if you decide what you want and call soon to be rebooked. Waiting until DL notices the problem might limit your options and you certainly don't want to be faced with denied boarding at an Italian airport if an agent notices the problem.
wrp96 and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With an illegal connection, you'll get a better outcome if you decide what you want and call soon to be rebooked. Waiting until DL notices the problem might limit your options and you certainly don't want to be faced with denied boarding at an Italian airport if an agent notices the problem.

I have never heard of DL denying boarding because of connection time being below MCT. Is that a thing they do?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I have never heard of DL denying boarding because of connection time being below MCT. Is that a thing they do?
Most airline systems will refuse checkin if MCT isn't meet.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I was on a MCO-DTW flight a year or two ago that got delayed and put my connection time at 28 mins (2 mins under DTW D-D MCT) I still took the flight without any denied boarding and made the connection just fine.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I was on a MCO-DTW flight a year or two ago that got delayed and put my connection time at 28 mins (2 mins under DTW D-D MCT) I still took the flight without any denied boarding and made the connection just fine.
Delayed arrival time v.s. scheduled arrival time being below MCT are different things. The 1st is usually only an issue with bags, and even that varries per airline. The latter, generally will result in system refusing to check you in even without bags.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It's not just the construction at LGA, the main highway out of JFK, the VanWyck expressway is under construction. On your travel date will the Mets be playing at home? Will US Tennis Open be occurring? Both of these effect traffic to LGA.
When you land check traffic reports, if there are huge delays use mass transit: JFK AirTran to Jamaica, E train to 74th St, Q70 to LGA will bypass road issues.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Have a Plan B and maybe a Plan C. I do tight connections all the time. Regularly MCT at ATL, AMS, DTW. I wouldn't try this one without a solid Plan B, just as I wouldn't try an MCT at LAX.

If the planets align it'll be a breeze. If you catch one or more of the potential issues, you'll be out of luck.

VanWyck will probably take 30 minutes with normal traffic. Saturday afternoons are not 2 - 3 AM.

If you don't have Clear you'll get slowed at LGA Security, even with Pre. Saturday has lots of families with kids and seniors, I've seen many long lines at Pre at LGA on weekends.

I got hung up at GE last month with the one CBP agent taking your printed form and comparing it to your passport and holding both up to see if the pictures looked like you.

Possible trek fro the far gates (B55 area)

Hooking up with driver.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Hooking up with driver.
That will definitely add some (fun) time...unless the OP is up for a quickie.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Hey- Thank you all for your thoughtful advice and suggestions. I so appreciate being able to turn to this forum for help and information.

You all asked for some additional information.

I am on a paid D1 ticket.

Yes, DL will pay for ground transport between JFK-LGA via a voucher on their contracted car service. But that may be penny-wise and pound-foolish. If time is tight, I'll shell out $30 bucks for a taxi/Lyft to make the connection instead of waiting in the queue at baggage claim to get my voucher. That cost is marginal given the total cost of this trip anyway!

The rationale for this routing is that there is no direct flight from Milan to Atlanta (at least on my travel date). And I am going to Madison, WI and there is no direct JFK-MSN, only LGA-MSN. So the NYC airport transfer is the only way to make the trip with only one connection.

There is a Plan B. With IRROPS I expect DL will just reroute me MXP-JFK-DTW-MSN OR MXP-AMS-ATL-MSN. Those are fine, but make it a much longer trip than the airport change in NYC. Given a paid J/F ticket, DL likely ensure I get a seat on an alternate flight if things get messed up.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my query.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Please do us a favor and let us know how you made out (ryanm wants to know that).
Seriously, I believe that all of us hope it works out for you. Arrive at B24, no one at GE, out the door to a ride in 10 minutes, no traffic and at LGA in 30 minutes with enough time for a leisurely SkyClub visit.
ijgordon and S_D_P like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.